Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Music Box Title Updates... in bulk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Music Box Title Updates... in bulk?

Love this Music Box feature. And I don't even mind loading retail CD's in order to transfer the music. However, I am a little p1ssed off that it sorts Artist alphabetically in a literal manner. For example, "The Doors" appears with the T's. The software isn't smart enough to ignore the "The". (lame)

So to get around that, I need to edit the song information, except that it seems I have to do that one song at a time. To add insult to poor design, there also doesn't seem to be a way to move the cursor when editing information, you can only backspace and retype the entire text. WTF?

Does anyone have any insights into how to do this more efficiently?
Old 03-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I don’t know about your ‘11 G, but in my ’08 you can select the Music box button, Menu, and scroll down to Edit Albums and select the one you want to edit. Then select either Edit Album Info or Edit Track Info. Press select again and you get a keyboard to edit the existing titles or track names. Sorry though, as you say you have to delete and retype to get the new text you want, but you can get rid of that “The” word that way.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chekov
I don’t know about your ‘11 G, but in my ’08 you can select the Music box button, Menu, and scroll down to Edit Albums and select the one you want to edit. Then select either Edit Album Info or Edit Track Info. Press select again and you get a keyboard to edit the existing titles or track names. Sorry though, as you say you have to delete and retype to get the new text you want, but you can get rid of that “The” word that way.
Maybe I missed that. So many menu items... Thanks, I'll go take a look.

No, that approach only allows you to edit the Album title in bulk, not the Artist for all the songs on the Album.

Man, I wish there were a way to export the tags, reconfigure them, and import. But all that helper application does is CDDB lookup. And that application looks like something an intern wrote on a lazy afternoon.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-23-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:10 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Probably easier to rip the cd to the computer, edit tags, burn audio cd w/ embedded tags, and put it back on the music box
Old 03-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
Probably easier to rip the cd to the computer, edit tags, burn audio cd w/ embedded tags, and put it back on the music box
You would think so, except the Music box doesn't look at embedded tags when ripping CD's, it only uses that Gracenote CDDB feature to identify whole albums. The USB port looks at tags, but Gracenote through the CD player doesn't.

At least, that's how it seems to behave from my observations... hence this thread, hoping for more insights.

I've resigned myself to relabeling individual tracks in order to rename the Artist. I know it sounds silly, but "The Doors" should be listed under "D", not "T". I can't believe the software doesn't give you the option to allow for intelligent alphabetization.