Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

2010+ Navigation Updates Released!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:29 AM
jms515

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Released

Originally Posted by jms515
I have 2009 G37S Conv.

I emailed Navteq as to when the 2013 will be released. She would not give me a date as to encourage me to buy the current one but she said they are released every 12 to 18 months, so does anyone know when the 11-12 version was released?

My closest dealer (5 minutes away) quoted me $129 for install and a dealer 25 minutes quoted me $69 for the nav install. Will see if the closer one will price match.

Now that I am on both Infiniti and Navteq's mailing list I am hoping for a $99 promo for the activation.

I am quoting myself because sure enough month later 2013 is released. I just need the $99 offer.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:03 AM
natesimon89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am quoting myself because sure enough month later 2013 is released. I just need the $99 offer.
I have a 2012 G37xS and the latest version for me is Infiniti Navigation System X9 DVD Year 2012 my maps and program versions are... 11-12 MAP No.1 / program version x5u12018. I think I am up to date for now, I emailed navigation.com and will follow up when I get a response... infiniti service said, just go buy it, and bring the car down and they will install it for a fee... didn't even ask me what version I was currently running, just wanted me to waste the 250$
Old 03-05-2013, 06:41 PM
jms515

Originally Posted by natesimon89
I have a 2012 G37xS and the latest version for me is Infiniti Navigation System X9 DVD Year 2012 my maps and program versions are... 11-12 MAP No.1 / program version x5u12018. I think I am up to date for now, I emailed navigation.com and will follow up when I get a response... infiniti service said, just go buy it, and bring the car down and they will install it for a fee... didn't even ask me what version I was currently running, just wanted me to waste the 250$
If you have a 2011-12 version I would not waste money on an update until 2015.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:02 PM
RUsum1
Registered Member

When I go to NavTeq's website I only see 2012 maps for the G Sedan

edit: It seems the update for 2009 and earlier is listed as 2013. Sucks for me since I have a 2010
Old 03-05-2013, 10:27 PM
jms515

Originally Posted by RUsum1
When I go to NavTeq's website I only see 2012 maps for the G Sedan

edit: It seems the update for 2009 and earlier is listed as 2013. Sucks for me since I have a 2010
I am sure it will be out soon. I would not buy 2012 at this point. Actually I would not buy 2013 either for $149 plus dealer install. Overpriced. I'd remotely consider it for $99 but they are not offering that now - oh well, they lose my business The nav sucks anyway because a passenger can't even enter an address while you are driving. My phone 100x better. The only convenience of having it built in.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:00 AM
deadguy366

I'm no cheapskate but $250 for a map update is ****ing ridiculous. They're obviously making enormous amounts of profit on the assumption that $250 is change to anyone who drives a $60,000 car... Never in my entire life has a company sold me a piece of expensive electronics and then attempted to charge me for software updates. Every $50 GPS out there comes with free map updates, what's different in this case... Not to mention on my stock software most of the 25yr old sub-divisions in my city don't even exist. They've clearly programmed their software with maps from 1975. Something tells me Canada isn't on the high priority list when they come out with these updates.

...sorry for ranting
Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by deadguy366
I'm no cheapskate but $250 for a map update is ****ing ridiculous. They're obviously making enormous amounts of profit on the assumption that $250 is change to anyone who drives a $60,000 car... Never in my entire life has a company sold me a piece of expensive electronics and then attempted to charge me for software updates. Every $50 GPS out there comes with free map updates, what's different in this case... Not to mention on my stock software most of the 25yr old sub-divisions in my city don't even exist. They've clearly programmed their software with maps from 1975. Something tells me Canada isn't on the high priority list when they come out with these updates.

...sorry for ranting
It's OK to Rant. No body likes to pay $250 for and update. Keep in mind there are other things built into the updates besides the Maps.

"Every $50 GPS out there comes with free map updates..."
I don't think so.

"...what's different in this case"
Supply and demand. There are millions of Garmins and TomToms sold world wide, anually. They only need to make a few dollars per device for an update to be profitable.
Infiniti sells thousands of vehicles per year, not all with Nav. The cost to develop an update and recoop that cost is far more difficult. My guess is that they would only sell a few thousand updates anually. Most people probably never bother.

"on my stock software most of the 25yr old sub-divisions in my city don't even exist. They've clearly programmed their software with maps from 1975."
What region of Canada are you in. My 2011 Nav shows all the streets and subdivisions, built upto about 2 years ago, in the city I live.

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 03-12-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:27 AM
jms515

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
It's OK to Rant. No body likes to pay $250 for and update. Keep in mind there are other things built into the updates besides the Maps.

Like what? Other GPS devices you can buy at Costco include extras too

"Every $50 GPS out there comes with free map updates..."
I don't think so.
Maybe not $50. But GPS systems less than $200 do, definitely so you are wrong
"...what's different in this case"
Supply and demand. There are millions of Garmins and TomToms sold world wide, anually. They only need to make a few dollars per device for an update to be profitable.
Infiniti sells thousands of vehicles per year, not all with Nav. The cost to develop an update and recoop that cost is far more difficult. My guess is that they would only sell a few thousand updates anually. Most people probably never bother.
, NAVTEQ makes the navigation systems for many makes - not just Infiniti so the numbers your mentioning are a huge underestimate. Just go to their website and see how many cars you can choose that are not Infinitis Navteq is cleaning up on this, a lot more than a few dollars per update!
"on my stock software most of the 25yr old sub-divisions in my city don't even exist. They've clearly programmed their software with maps from 1975."
What region of Canada are you in. My 2011 Nav shows all the streets and subdivisions, built upto about 2 years ago, in the city I live.
I also agree with the former poster, even their updated maps are outdated when compared to phones and other devices

Every point deadguy366 made is dead on. Navigation usually adds about $2000 - $3000 to the cost of the car new which is ridiculous in the first place. It should include free updates for the life of the car. It is ridiculous they try to gauge for another few hundred just to update the maps.

Last edited by jms515; 03-13-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:21 AM
deadguy366

I live in Alberta. Just programming a simple 10 minute trip from my house to my parents results in the GPS being 'unable to provide voice guidance due to the roads I'm on not existing'. Some of my city's oldest main roads are shown as being a completely different shape on the GPS, hence my assumption they used Canadian road maps from 1975...
Old 03-14-2013, 08:54 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

I also agree with the former poster, even their updated maps are outdated when compared to phones and other devices

Every point deadguy366 made is dead on. Navigation usually adds about $2000 - $3000 to the cost of the car new which is ridiculous in the first place. It should include free updates for the life of the car. It is ridiculous they try to gauge for another few hundred just to update the maps.
The only thing I disagreed on, with deadguy366, was the "Every $50 GPS out there comes with free map updates" comment.

I agree with you that the Nav package is expensive but like Garmin and TomTom, it isn't mass produced on a scale that they can sell it for $150-$200 each, install it and make money. Built in Nav 'package also includes a lot more features than just a navigator.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:08 AM
deadguy366

The only thing I disagreed on, with deadguy366, was the "Every $50 GPS out there comes with free map updates" comment.

I agree with you that the Nav package is expensive but like Garmin and TomTom, it isn't mass produced on a scale that they can sell it for $150-$200 each, install it and make money. Built in Nav 'package also includes a lot more features than just a navigator.
Ok, maybe not every $50 GPS has free updates but the $45 Navigon app on my phone sure does! And perhaps Navteq doesn't mass produce like Garmin or TomTom, but for $2000-$3000 per unit plus $250 updates; I'm willing to bet almost anything their profits remain comfortably in the millions upon millions...

Also, IMO the other features the nav package comes with are negligible. Plays DVD's and a few more voice functions. Whoopee.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:03 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by deadguy366
Ok, maybe not every $50 GPS has free updates but the $45 Navigon app on my phone sure does! And perhaps Navteq doesn't mass produce like Garmin or TomTom, but for $2000-$3000 per unit plus $250 updates; I'm willing to bet almost anything their profits remain comfortably in the millions upon millions...

Also, IMO the other features the nav package comes with are negligible. Plays DVD's and a few more voice functions. Whoopee.
You didn't mention the 9.3GB HD Music Box, Hi Res screen (use the other one and you will be glad you have this), BlueTooth music Streaming.
We all have different wants. Personally, I use every feature that came with the package but as I stated before, I agree it's expensive.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 PM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Garmin nuvi 50Lm GPS
Reg price at 179.99 now for 139.99 Cnd
is offering the lifetime updates.

Now that's an offer lol
Old 03-21-2013, 12:03 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
If you're going to get a garmin, see if you can get a 14xx series. Those have a 5" screen, are a bit older, but still support routes function. This allows you to make a custom route on the computer, upload it to the gps, then have it guide you.

The newer one with their tripmaker/planner don't support this.

I picked up my 1450LM refurb from walmart (looked brand new) for ~$90 last fall.

This is the last series to support the routes function from what I've read. The problem with tripmaker/planner is that it doesn't interpret the uploaded gpx routes properly, instead breaking each segment into a separate route.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:44 PM
RUsum1
Registered Member

I am sure it will be out soon. I would not buy 2012 at this point. Actually I would not buy 2013 either for $149 plus dealer install. Overpriced. I'd remotely consider it for $99 but they are not offering that now - oh well, they lose my business The nav sucks anyway because a passenger can't even enter an address while you are driving. My phone 100x better. The only convenience of having it built in.
Still no update. I want the update to show up so I can contact the dealer I got the car from to complain about shorting me my free update that they promised.

...what's different in this case"
But NavTeq doesn't only sell their software to Infiniti. And the reason people don't bother is because of the cost. And so many people who get these "new maps" find them to be missing some basic information from the start which is just a slap in the face. I know I purchased a Garmin map update one back in 2008 and it still didn't have a high school near me that had been around since 1992. How can a map update not have a freaking high school or the road that it's on?

Quick Reply: 2010+ Navigation Updates Released!