Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Is there a way to get alerts for redlight and speed cameras

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 11:41 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally Posted by JayElDee
Can the voice alerts be played through the radio, over the music, like the current Nav system does?
I hate wires running all over, but if it does that with a suitable patch cord it will be worth it until Infiniti catches up with the inexpensive Garmins.

Thanks, Jsolo.
John
I'm not familiar with the iphone version, but I do believe it is more advanced than android (most things seem to come out for iphone first). Doesn't the iphone market equivalent tell you if there's updates available for your apps (or display their versions)?

I imagine if you're using your iphone to also stream your music, then yes, both should be able to stream at the same time, with the phone muting the music when audio for alerts or turns comes up.

I use a usb flash drive for my audio, so I don't think it's possible to have the phone interrupt via car speakers when an alert comes up.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:47 PM
JayElDee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I imagine if you're using your iphone to also stream your music,
can't do that on an 09. BT is only phone. So, to use WAZE realtime and on the road takes my eyes away from the road more than texting.

I may be able to go through the rca plugs, but I don't have that patch cord.

The solution is to buy a garmin
Old 02-24-2012, 12:46 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a thought, why not just make sure you come to a complete stop and stop behind the white line at all red lights?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:12 AM
JayElDee

Originally Posted by tejasg37x
Just a thought, why not just make sure you come to a complete stop and stop behind the white line at all red lights?
Right. It's clear you do not face the infestation of these "safety" measures where you live.

I don't run redlights. I stop at the proper location.

but
We do not have uniform durations of yellow lights. Some very short. Some longer. They get you when the light turns red and you are EXITING, but still in the intersection. Cute, huh?
Aside: It's been shown that the safest redlight tactic is to have a delayed red. Some of our lights are set up this way. But that only saves lives and doesn't bring in revenue--which gets sent to Arizona, btw.

It's the speed cameras that can get you. Eventually you learn where they are on your usual routes, but they are all over, so they can get you.
I am not talking about doing 50 in a school zone.
Example: Henry Clay Ave. A very broad two way street, two very wide lanes and parking. Good surface. Starts off 30, then for a two block stretch, for no traffic/residential/hospital/school/etc reason whatsoever, it goes to 25. Then after two blocks it goes back up to 30.
You will get ticketed for 27.
Example: Jackson Ave. 35mph divided avenue. For a two block area it goes to 20. No one knows why.
People have racked up over $1000 of tickets at that one spot before they got the FIRST notice in the mail of their scofflaw status.

Tourists are caught all the time; they often write letters to the editor complaining.

So, it's not a simple thing to stop behind the white line. That is not the issue. I do that.

Infiniti or NavTeq or whoever is really dropping the ball on this. Certainly sending mixed messages. 330 hp, all the sportiness, G37's shown in adverts doing Tokyo Power Slides, but they are keeping the pirates away from the MP3s, and you can't play with the Nav system while moving, and no "safety" camera alert.
Hell, I could make an argument that such software would make me a safer driver, alerting me that Big Brother Is Watching: OBEY.

ok, end of rant (for this time). Just so frustrating for such a nice car. The Infiniti Nanny State knowing what's best for us all, but giving and advertising all the rope you need to hang yourself.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:41 PM
tejasg37x

Right. It's clear you do not face the infestation of these "safety" measures where you live.

but
We do not have uniform durations of yellow lights. Some very short. Some longer. They get you when the light turns red and you are EXITING, but still in the intersection. Cute, huh?
Aside: It's been shown that the safest redlight tactic is to have a delayed red. Some of our lights are set up this way. But that only saves lives and doesn't bring in revenue--which gets sent to Arizona, btw.

It's the speed cameras that can get you. Eventually you learn where they are on your usual routes, but they are all over, so they can get you.
Example: Henry Clay Ave. A very broad two way street, two very wide lanes and parking. Good surface. Starts off 30, then for a two block stretch, for no traffic/residential/hospital/school/etc reason whatsoever, it goes to 25. Then after two blocks it goes back up to 30.
Example: Jackson Ave. 35mph divided avenue. For a two block area it goes to 20. No one knows why.
People have racked up over $1000 of tickets at that one spot before they got the FIRST notice in the mail of their scofflaw status.

Tourists are caught all the time; they often write letters to the editor complaining.

So, it's not a simple thing to stop behind the white line. That is not the issue. I do that.

Infiniti or NavTeq or whoever is really dropping the ball on this. Certainly sending mixed messages. 330 hp, all the sportiness, G37's shown in adverts doing Tokyo Power Slides, but they are keeping the pirates away from the MP3s, and you can't play with the Nav system while moving, and no "safety" camera alert.
Hell, I could make an argument that such software would make me a safer driver, alerting me that Big Brother Is Watching: OBEY.

ok, end of rant (for this time). Just so frustrating for such a nice car. The Infiniti Nanny State knowing what's best for us all, but giving and advertising all the rope you need to hang yourself.

I read your first sentence and didn't bother to read the rest...but in reply that, I live in a town full of them and drive in other cities full of them every day...I've not had one problem.

I actually know a lot about the operation of red light cameras (I have inside information) and all the things that people claim about them are untrue and excuses.

Just be careful out there; statistically red light intersections are the most dangerous areas on the roads.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:31 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

but

So you are saying you get ticketed if the light turns red while you are in the intersection even if you entered with a green light? And you get ticketed by going 27 in a 25 zone?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:55 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by g37guy01
So you are saying you get ticketed if the light turns red while you are in the intersection even if you entered with a green light? And you get ticketed by going 27 in a 25 zone?
That's totally false...the camera may go off, but you will not get a ticket unless you actually ran the red. And if you are in the intersection before it is red, you cannot get ticketed.

All pics taken by the cameras are screened by people before they are turned into tickets. Even though you may see the camera take pics, MOST of them never become an actual ticket after they are screened...only a small percentage ever become tickets.
Many people think that just because they see a camera take a pic, someone is getting a ticket..not so.

If you get one one of those tickets they also provide video for you to see so you can see yourself running the red or not stopping on red before turning right. They have to provide this as proof...so if you are getting a ticket and shouldn't have, it will show that in the video. They are not going to send you a ticket if the video will show no infraction was made.

And you have to come to a complete stop before the white line before turning right on red.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:19 AM
JayElDee

Originally Posted by g37guy01
yes, well, there is a yellow in between, but yes. And the duration of the yellow can be long or short, like 1.5 sec to 4-5 sec, depending on the intersection. And there is no rhyme or apparent reason to the difference.

I am not defending running red lights, but we appear to differ as to what that means in different locales, and to different traffic cameras.

Running the red here can mean you are in the second part of a median type intersection and the light turns red from yellow as you are exiting the intersection. Ticket.
And yes, 27 in a 25 that just changed from 30 and will go back to 30 in a block or so. Yes.

y'all may do it better in Texas, but here it is as I said.
Look, you may have a different system that really works and has conscientious and qualified people who maintain it. That is not here.

In fact, in today's paper is reported a bill proposed in the state legislature concerning these "safety" cameras. They are not calibrated. They are not maintained. There is no meaningful appeal process. They sometimes report, "over the limit," without actually defining the speed. They sometimes are triggered by, " a few mph over the limit." They are described as a "sham" and a "money grab."

The garmin system works great. Everytime it alerts me I check all my numbers in a split second.

If your system is fine tuned enough to catch your bumper a few inches over the line, it is far more defined than what I describe. And yes, complete stop before right on red. ok.

It's not the "philosophy" of all this, it's the implementation and because it is implemented so poorly here, some may say nefarious, I seek to drive defensively, protected from the poor and improper implementation of this "sham and money grab" system.

If you're driving in New Orleans: Driver Beware.

So, tejasg37x, if you read this far, you think these cameras are a good idea?
Old 02-25-2012, 12:50 PM
tejasg37x

yes, well, there is a yellow in between, but yes. And the duration of the yellow can be long or short, like 1.5 sec to 4-5 sec, depending on the intersection. And there is no rhyme or apparent reason to the difference.
The time of the yellow light in red light intersection is dependent on the speed limit on the road. Slower speeds have less yellow light time while higher speeds have longer yellow light.

Over time red cameras have proven to lower accident rate as well as injury rate...this is proven in every city they are installed. This is data that is gathered every month. In some cities there have been initial increases of low speed read end collisions because someone stops like they are supposed to and the person behind them is following too closely.

On the belief that the red light cameras are money generators for the cities they are in; that is completely false too. The cities do not get to keep any of the money for whatever use they want. The city does get some of the money, but it can only be used for road safety projects. It cannot be used as profit for a city to use however they seem fit.
Some of the money goes to the state to be distributed to hospitals for trauma centers. And some of the money goes to the company that operates the red light camera systems.

Again, if you are caught by a red light camera you have the ability to view the video to see that you did in fact create a red light infraction. If the video clearly shows no violation it will be dismissed...
Old 02-25-2012, 02:53 PM
JayElDee

The time of the yellow light in red light intersection is dependent on the speed limit on the road. Slower speeds have less yellow light time while higher speeds have longer yellow light.
maybe where you are...that is not the case here

Over time red cameras have proven to lower accident rate as well as injury rate...this is proven in every city they are installed. This is data that is gathered every month. In some cities there have been initial increases of low speed read end collisions because someone stops like they are supposed to and the person behind them is following too closely.
Delayed reds work better. Your data show that also.

On the belief that the red light cameras are money generators for the cities they are in; that is completely false too.
Are you speaking to Louisiana law, or nationally? If you're speaking nationally, sounds like you have a dog in this hunt. Are you employed, funded, independent contractor, by the industry? Or LEO, or your county or township? You are not speaking to the specifics of how it is in my home town.

I have a dog, too, but my dog is I don't want to be trapped by sneaky techniques. Again, to be maybe more clear, I am talking more of the speed cameras than the red light ones, though they are culpable also.

Again, if you are caught by a red light camera you have the ability to view the video to see that you did in fact create a red light infraction. If the video clearly shows no violation it will be dismissed...
In New Orleans, that means taking a day off of work, losing that income, getting someone to cover for you, dealing with City Hall and its technocrats. It is NOT a workable solution. It costs more money to "win." That's a Pyrrhic victory. And the Industry knows that. People will just pay to avoid the expensive hassle. People will accept Guilty until "clearly" proven innocent.
And if you think that money trickles down to hospitals and "Trauma" units, not here. I work directly in trauma. I have never seen any of that money, I have never heard of that being the case, and it is never promoted that way. If it does, and I seriously doubt it is the case in La, it is a not a meaningful amount. I doubt it exists. I think you're wrong.

But you have made the Redlight Safety Speed trap camera Industry's case very clear. Many believe it just happens to be self promoting BS.
You have your data; others have different data.

We've strayed OT, and no offense intended, maybe we're both just passionate about it.

I wish our Nav system had the ability to tell me where you have hidden your cameras.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:27 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Interesting read..

Schaumburg Pulls Red Light Camera’s For Political Reasons

The original intention may have been for safety, but these days it's purely for revenue.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:18 PM
tejasg37x

maybe where you are...that is not the case here

Delayed reds work better. Your data show that also.

Are you speaking to Louisiana law, or nationally? If you're speaking nationally, sounds like you have a dog in this hunt. Are you employed, funded, independent contractor, by the industry? Or LEO, or your county or township? You are not speaking to the specifics of how it is in my home town.

I have a dog, too, but my dog is I don't want to be trapped by sneaky techniques. Again, to be maybe more clear, I am talking more of the speed cameras than the red light ones, though they are culpable also.

In New Orleans, that means taking a day off of work, losing that income, getting someone to cover for you, dealing with City Hall and its technocrats. It is NOT a workable solution. It costs more money to "win." That's a Pyrrhic victory. And the Industry knows that. People will just pay to avoid the expensive hassle. People will accept Guilty until "clearly" proven innocent.
And if you think that money trickles down to hospitals and "Trauma" units, not here. I work directly in trauma. I have never seen any of that money, I have never heard of that being the case, and it is never promoted that way. If it does, and I seriously doubt it is the case in La, it is a not a meaningful amount. I doubt it exists. I think you're wrong.

But you have made the Redlight Safety Speed trap camera Industry's case very clear. Many believe it just happens to be self promoting BS.
You have your data; others have different data.

We've strayed OT, and no offense intended, maybe we're both just passionate about it.

I wish our Nav system had the ability to tell me where you have hidden your cameras.
Sorry, but I cannot say how I am associated with the information. I can say, I get nothing from it, but know a lot about it.
I have access to the actual data from each city...it is required data by the state. It is gathered monthly and references tickets issued at each intersection as well as all recorded accidents.
There are the occasional intersections that don't improve, and that is likely due to bad intersection design or too high of traffic. From that kind of data, it can be determined that those intersections need redesign or changes need to made to the flow of traffic coming to that intersection.
I'd say 75% of intersections with red light cameras see an improvement in accident rates going down, and as people are made more aware, the tickets go down to. Tickets also go down at intersections without cameras too because it makes people be more aware of proper stops at intersections.
Again, the "revenue" that comes in can only be used for specific traffic/road safety issues...it can not be used to pad the income of a city's revenue for other purposes.
As far as the ticket, you can dispute it...but 99% of the people that get one and claim they are innocent, see the video and realize they are guilty...they may have "thought" they came to a complete stop, or made it on the "yellow" light, but the video shows they did not and they pay the fine.

I'm sorry that I cannot reveal how I know red light camera information...you can look up the laws in your individual state and if you find that your city is not following the laws, report it...there are regulations. It is actually designed for safety reasons and actually works if you look at actual data; not the data that people who are against it present. You can find the data from every city that uses them...it's public record.
So what I'm saying is don't listen to or read information from people, research and find out the truth from the data that is available to the public...it's much different than than the "facts" from people that have issues with it.

Last edited by tejasg37x; 02-26-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:36 PM
JayElDee

Thanks for the courteous reply.

Again, the red light part of it I view as separate from the speed trap part. Someone flagrantly running a red is obviously in violation. Becoming red as one exits an intersection is a different situation and those are ticketed here.

I believe, and you may know better, that most redlight accidents occur just as lights turn from yellow to red and from red to green. Delayed reds eliminate that and require little to no new technology, just reset the computer so that all lights are red for a second or so.

It's the speed trap part. I just want to know where they are, be alerted they are upcoming, so I can play well with others. And the frustration is that Garmin makes such a product, and we can't have it for whatever reason.

If safety is the issue, drivers alerted to the impending presence of Big Brother's Eye will drive more safely. An alert system built in or added on to our Nav system would accomplish that. Of course there would be no revenue for whomever, but if lives are saved, then revenue shouldn't matter.

Take care

John
Old 04-19-2012, 09:41 PM
djlittlewonder

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet... Escort Passport SC55. It's also available in the Passport 9500ix, which I have. The accuracy is great. It has a weekly updated database, also you can can add your own locations. It displays speed also.

PASSPORT SC55 - Escort Inc.
PASSPORT 9500ix - Escort Inc.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:03 PM
dimsler
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the 9500ci, it has a very large and pretty accurate database of the redlight camera and speed trap points.

Quick Reply: Is there a way to get alerts for redlight and speed cameras