Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

XM Radio, You Are A Ripoff!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:49 AM
navecm
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got rid of it just do to bad customer service. They tried to offer me 3 free months, etc...and I get offers in the mail constantly to come back.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:45 PM
blueninjabron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can call now and ask them to match serius and they will give you 6 months for $25. I just did it.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:18 PM
used2xb
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I was going to write them an email about their audio quality and traffic coverage. And then I realized they are in a terrible terrible position. Once the smart phone and head unit people really get their acts together, xm is totally screwed. At that point all they have is maybe better coverage than the cell networks out in the middle of nowhere. Unless they can turn their delivery network into satellite broadband, they're pretty much screwed. Their programming's only ok - unless you need sports maybe.

Last edited by used2xb; 06-13-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I think XM is already screwed.................My after market head unit is amazing in what it does with nav and with my ipod and streaming audio from my phone I have no need to activate the sat in it. I do have it in the G though and I like it but the hard drive on the G gets used a lot more.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:50 PM
clownshoes

Originally Posted by chlutz214
i wish my trial was never ending lol. its a good radio... but not worth the price over regular radio... especially when you have aux ports and can just plug w.e u want in.

Keep checking back to your XM stations. They will do 10-days of free XM radio now and then, the last one was Memorial Day week. If I recall Thanksgiving week and sometime during Spring Break it was free for about a week.

No sign up or calling necessary, it just starts working.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:29 PM
used2xb
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazicon
I think XM is already screwed.................My after market head unit is amazing in what it does with nav and with my ipod and streaming audio from my phone I have no need to activate the sat in it. I do have it in the G though and I like it but the hard drive on the G gets used a lot more.
Well, I think for significant market penetration, the head units that are really tightly integrated with smartphones need to be coming from the factory in new cars. They're definitely getting there though, so it's just a matter of time.

Personally, I usually listen either to my iPhone music or Pandora in the car. Though I guess I typically listen to XM before I bother with FM. What I really want is the built in navigation software on the head unit to integrate traffic from my iPhone - like google maps or map quest or bing or waze or whatever. XM traffic really only covers interstate and state highways. Expressways are pretty important to a lot of commuters.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:15 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just cancelled in my wife's G35 .. waiting patiently now to see if they hit me back to re-start service at a discounted rate -- the best they were offering was $5/month .. no go, tired of playing these games with them, more than anything.

I would be fine to pay a flat $100/year, but I'm sick of the threats to cancel, trips to the 'retention center' .. and this cat and mouse game... immature garbage.

Gunna roll the windows down for a while and enjoy the sound of the exhaust at WOT
Old 06-15-2012, 03:45 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by used2xb
I was going to write them an email about their audio quality and traffic coverage. And then I realized they are in a terrible terrible position. Once the smart phone and head unit people really get their acts together, xm is totally screwed. At that point all they have is maybe better coverage than the cell networks out in the middle of nowhere. Unless they can turn their delivery network into satellite broadband, they're pretty much screwed. Their programming's only ok - unless you need sports maybe.
Actually I think they are in a good position. There is no more unlimited data plans, so the only thing to do that doesnt reqiure data is streaming your music via Bluetooth. Meh, it's too annoying to sync my music interests with my phone.
I would rather pay for xm and flip the dial, which I do.

I actually rented a car and drove somewhere out in the desert. No cell phone service or radio service but xm worked flawlessly.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:54 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazicon
I really like xm I have xm nav and weather. Worth every penny. I don't have to deal with loading my music on my phone.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:20 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Just cancelled in my wife's G35 .. waiting patiently now to see if they hit me back to re-start service at a discounted rate -- the best they were offering was $5/month .. no go, tired of playing these games with them, more than anything.

I would be fine to pay a flat $100/year, but I'm sick of the threats to cancel, trips to the 'retention center' .. and this cat and mouse game... immature garbage.

Gunna roll the windows down for a while and enjoy the sound of the exhaust at WOT
I'm not sure about them going lower than $5 per month...
Old 06-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Gizmo0803

How good/accurate is the traffic function? I live in LA and traffic is EVERYWHERE on the freeways. Does the XM traffic work hand in hand with our navigation systems? (ex. will our nav system reroute the destination based on which areas have the least amount of traffic?)
Old 06-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Gizmo0803
How good/accurate is the traffic function? I live in LA and traffic is EVERYWHERE on the freeways. Does the XM traffic work hand in hand with our navigation systems? (ex. will our nav system reroute the destination based on which areas have the least amount of traffic?)
I also live in the LA area and find the traffic function very useful and surprisingly accurate. Those green, yellow or red lines running along the freeway displays usually give exact indications of road conditions. Some freeways may have sectors not yet covered, but more are regularly being added. For me, it’s the best part of having XM.

Now in my ’08 the nav system will not reroute you to a destination based on traffic conditions, but rerouting is an integral part of the nav system should you stray from a previously set route.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow. I paid 499 for the lifetime subscription to XM. I do plan on havnig the car that long, af if XM last that long, hopefully.