Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

XM Radio, You Are A Ripoff!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:33 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
MP3 quality. Data compression is horrid, as is dynamic compression.
Right, but I knew that going in. However, love the selection and the lack of commercials and programming that I can't get anywhere else. I pay $200/year for xm select/nav and weather. Yes, it is worth it.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 PM
clownshoes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmueller
I paid 89 for a year. While I would not pay a dime more than this, I really HATE commercials on normal radio stations. I 100% understand that I could use my iPhone for music, but frankly I have been really lazy about putting new music on it so XM is convenient.
I agree, plus with XM I can discover song new songs.

My iPhone has a 1000+ songs but I get too lazy setting up playlist and shuffle seems to play the same 100 or so songs.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:24 PM
clownshoes

Originally Posted by devious1
I find myself just putting on one of my Pandora stations on my phone and playing it through bluetooth on the car
I tried this, its OK, but hated that I couldn't control my pandora thru the radio controls on my steering wheel. And looking down to click 'next' got old. But..it is an option that may fit ones situation. Your listening pleasure may vary.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I will only pay for the 5 and 6 month deals that are $25 plus taxes, or less.
Called yesterday because I forgot to cancel on my wife's 5 month deal, on her car. I was a week late. They had already taken out $80 something, from my CC, to extend it.
I told them I wanted to cancel immediately and asked how much of a penalty would I have to pay. They keep saying there wasn't any penalty and then quoted a better rate. I told them that was still too much. They then offered me another 5 months for $25, so i agreed.
I didn't think they would go with back to back discount packages.
Right now I have 6 months for $25 on my G. it had probably been 4 or 5 months since I had XM on the G and then it was a $25 for 5 month discount.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:24 AM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Originally Posted by clownshoes
I agree, plus with XM I can discover song new songs.
My iPhone has a 1000+ songs but I get too lazy setting up playlist and shuffle seems to play the same 100 or so songs.
1000 songs on an iPod may sound like a lot, but imo it isn't, mine has over 4000 and I use it frequently.
I can discover new songs on Pandora as well.

Originally Posted by clownshoes
I tried this, its OK, but hated that I couldn't control my pandora thru the radio controls on my steering wheel. And looking down to click 'next' got old. But..it is an option that may fit ones situation. Your listening pleasure may vary.
Agreed that reaching for the "next" button is a pain but worth it imo, XM doesn't even have a "next" button; with Pandora, it you don't like the song currently playing, just skip it, with XM, just change the station...
Another awesome feature with Pandora is the ability to permanently remove a song you don't like (hate) with a simple thumbs down click (which also starts the next song, and you'll never hear it, nor need to skip it again...
Pandora is free, or you can pay them for more skips and commercial free service (or is it just reduced interruptions) I can't remember, as I've been using a hacked version of the app which is even better than paying Pandora because the hacked version gives me unlimited skips!! (and of course NO interruptions, ever)
Have you ever had an incoming call when one of your favorite songs is playing? (this happens to me a lot) I'll either pause my iPod, or if using Pandora, it will pause the song and automatically restart it as soon as the call ends.
All those differences come as a bonus to me as I'd likely use Pandora over XM just for the sound quality difference alone. As many others have stated, XM sound quality is horrid.
Pandora has many, many different genres / stations to choose from as well as the ability to create your own.
Infiniti may have cars in the future with Pandora streaming built in too, as other auto brands have already done this.
I can get traffic info for free on Google maps/navigation.
So, to sum it up, XM blows and Pandora Rocks.
And no, I DON'T work for Pandora...

(some words in my post are highlighted in pink to emphasize the gheyness)
Old 05-04-2012, 11:54 AM
DashKid
Banned

Originally Posted by g37guy01
Right, but I knew that going in. However, love the selection and the lack of commercials and programming that I can't get anywhere else. I pay $200/year for xm select/nav and weather. Yes, it is worth it.
Sorry but they offer 1 year $75 dollar subscription still for the radio. So if your paying $200 for it then man you are getting ripped off and the xm is getting rich off of you.

I don't have xm because I use my ipod the most.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:37 PM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by DashKid
Sorry but they offer 1 year $75 dollar subscription still for the radio. So if your paying $200 for it then man you are getting ripped off and the xm is getting rich off of you.

I don't have xm because I use my ipod the most.
Add nav and the price goes up. 75 dollars does not include nav.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:42 PM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
1000 songs on an iPod may sound like a lot, but imo it isn't, mine has over 4000 and I use it frequently.
I can discover new songs on Pandora as well.

Agreed that reaching for the "next" button is a pain but worth it imo, XM doesn't even have a "next" button; with Pandora, it you don't like the song currently playing, just skip it, with XM, just change the station...
Another awesome feature with Pandora is the ability to permanently remove a song you don't like (hate) with a simple thumbs down click (which also starts the next song, and you'll never hear it, nor need to skip it again...
Pandora is free, or you can pay them for more skips and commercial free service (or is it just reduced interruptions) I can't remember, as I've been using a hacked version of the app which is even better than paying Pandora because the hacked version gives me unlimited skips!! (and of course NO interruptions, ever)
Have you ever had an incoming call when one of your favorite songs is playing? (this happens to me a lot) I'll either pause my iPod, or if using Pandora, it will pause the song and automatically restart it as soon as the call ends.
All those differences come as a bonus to me as I'd likely use Pandora over XM just for the sound quality difference alone. As many others have stated, XM sound quality is horrid.
Pandora has many, many different genres / stations to choose from as well as the ability to create your own.
Infiniti may have cars in the future with Pandora streaming built in too, as other auto brands have already done this.
I can get traffic info for free on Google maps/navigation.
So, to sum it up, XM blows and Pandora Rocks.
And no, I DON'T work for Pandora...

(some words in my post are highlighted in pink to emphasize the gheyness)
Your post is a perfect example of different strokes for different folks. While my phone supports streaming radio, and I've done it. Why bother? I like to talk on the phone, at times, while I'm driving. Tuning the radio **** is easier than fiddling with the radio. Using nav is a heck of a lot safer than google maps, which does not have turn by turn.

So to sum it up streaming radio has limitations, especially if you want to talk on the phone. While xm is infinitely more convenient.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:45 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
Your post is a perfect example of different strokes for different folks. While my phone supports streaming radio, and I've done it. Why bother? I like to talk on the phone, at times, while I'm driving. Tuning the radio **** is easier than fiddling with the radio. Using nav is a heck of a lot safer than google maps, which does not have turn by turn.

So to sum it up streaming radio has limitations, especially if you want to talk on the phone. While xm is infinitely more convenient.
It's just too bad you can't have the best of each one all in one...
Old 06-10-2012, 06:10 AM
2012G37
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
My 3 month trial is about to expire on Tuesday. Two times they called and offer a deal of 14.99 for 6 months. After I explain about free music streaming , they hanged up on me. For 12 months at that price o would get. I don't care for it , I prefer Pandora , I may have read this wrong from others, but I can change to the next track from my steering wheel. Just won't go backwards.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:14 AM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Meh - I keep my cars awhile, and I love the XM service.

After the free trial, I paid $450 for a lifetime subscription. It stays with the car forever, so if and when I sell it, it might add some value.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:05 PM
BHB 91

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just cancelled mine once and for all. Worst customer service ever and the quality is not even as good as FM. Pandora and iPod quality blows it away. I mainly used it for the traffic, anyway. Now that I don't commute on the highway anymore, the decision was easy. Once in a while, the weather warnings were handy here in Tornado Alley but you normally know when bad weather is coming anyway. I won't miss it, especially the gawd awful customer service...
Old 06-11-2012, 02:15 AM
rabbit

Somehow I still have my free trial from when I bought the car.... 2 years ago.

I mentioned this to my guy at the dealer and he just laughed.... He said that's all done by XM, not the dealer. Which means I've been screwing XM for years!

Hope this makes you feel better
Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 AM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My musings on this topic (and a great topic, at that):

1) XM is a major ripoff, and their business model blowz

2) called to get a lifetime subscription (killing myself that I didn't do this in 2009 when I bought my car) . .they want over $700 now and then I ask .. ok, no big deal, can I transfer to another vehicle when I ditch the G37 .. "no, it only applies to your current radio in your current car..."

Huh? I asked, "who keeps their car for a lifetime?" To which they replied "Sorry sir, that is the policy."

I have been threatening to leave year after year for both my wife's G35 and my G37 .. it's an annual ritual.. and yes, I get the $88/year "deal" -- XM radio only

3) love XM because, as someone said -- I discover new music

4) no, it's not that great of fidelity all the time, but the BOSE system isn't that great of a stereo anyway .. so I don't care .. it's good enough for me, and I love the variety, love that it's MOSTLY commercial free
Old 06-13-2012, 11:39 AM
chlutz214
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
i wish my trial was never ending lol. its a good radio... but not worth the price over regular radio... especially when you have aux ports and can just plug w.e u want in.

Quick Reply: XM Radio, You Are A Ripoff!