Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Question about stock Bose

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:27 AM
UncleFunkle
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question about stock Bose

This is not meant to be another bose bashing thread, but I have a question. Has anyone tried running the stock front stage off an aftermarket amp with a XO. I am looking into upgrading the system but figured my first step may be to utilize the stock fronts until I get all the parts in. Here is my idea, and please chime in with any advice, I am a step above a novice so any advice is welcome.

Front stage: Stock 10" "sub" bandpassed and mid bass range; stock 3" x'ed for dedicated midrange, and tweeter, obviously highpassed.

Now I know a lot pf processing is done at the amp so I am thinking of taking the signal post stock amp, running each channel into a LOC to a non summing XO and then aftermarket amp then to the respective driver. I would hope this would allow me the same controls and functions currently available through the stock unit. I would also add a sub in the trunk.

I ask this because eventually I want to go with HAT L6, L3, L1 front stage and a L3 center channel, perhaps L3's in the rear for rear fill, but no one is ever back there since the coupes are not made for ppl to sit behind a guy 6'2". SO I may just leave the rear, as is. My Sub choice is the IDQ10 V3 in a box that I will build to ensure maximum trunk space.

Ok so is my idea of running the stock Bose for the time being sound, please point out any flaws in my logic.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:03 PM
dillyyo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not worth the trouble. That 10" has grossly limited mechanical output and all of the speakers IIRC are of low and odd impedance values. All in all the system is only worthy of being ripped out and replaced. Stock HU sends out a balanced signal and is pretty flat throughout the signal's FR. Take advantage of front doors and put real 10's in and if going completely stealth, put a 3" cone or dome in the upper doors and drop a tweeter in the sales. Its all been done with excellent results. If your not worried about stealth then start looking at the usual creative and effective ways car audio enthusiasts set up their stage.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:38 AM
UncleFunkle
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Stealthish is the final goal. I want the L6's replacing the stock 10's and I need to come up with a way to have the sub in the trunk venting through the 6x9 opening. I am just tired of the bose, when i know Infiniti could have did a better job than this setup