Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Horrible XM Reception

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:18 AM
NatesGr8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Horrible XM Reception

Does anyone out there know how to get better satellite radio reception? I have a 2011 G37xs with the navi thus the built in XM and I must say the reception is sub par at best. I understand the cutting out under brides or in tunnels, but recently it's been cutting out while driving on the highway with nothing overhead. I've always noticed it, got the car new in December 2010, but it seems to be getting worse or maybe i'm noticing it more.

My old car, with sirius, never did this. I'm considering dropping the xm and putting a sirius add on in my car, yes it would look terrible but i wouldn't be pulling my hair out every drive to and from work.

Hopefully someone can help. Thanks, Nate
Old 02-01-2012, 10:25 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by NatesGr8
Does anyone out there know how to get better satellite radio reception? I have a 2011 G37xs with the navi thus the built in XM and I must say the reception is sub par at best. I understand the cutting out under brides or in tunnels, but recently it's been cutting out while driving on the highway with nothing overhead. I've always noticed it, got the car new in December 2010, but it seems to be getting worse or maybe i'm noticing it more.

My old car, with sirius, never did this. I'm considering dropping the xm and putting a sirius add on in my car, yes it would look terrible but i wouldn't be pulling my hair out every drive to and from work.

XM and Sirius are the same company!!

You should have the dealer check the antenna,receiver, etc, as you are under warranty.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:15 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
^^^Agree with the service call. XM does cut out in tunnels and overpasses. Other than that the reception is fine.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:26 AM
dirtymaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NatesGr8

I recently went on a trip to Rochester, VT, on to Killington and back to MA. The reception was so bad that at may spots it became un-listenable. There are so many factors. In New England, the trees and granite surrounding the roads can wreak havoc on reception along with the hilly terrain. I'm wondering how much effect solar activity can have on reception too. It has been very bad though, even on my drive to work this morning I kept losing reception where it's normally ok. Something's up.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Tuckermaclain
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I've been a subscriber of both Sirius and XM since the beginning. The difference is in the satellite orbits. XM uses 2 satellites in geostationary orbit. This means that they are in the same place in the sky all the time. The dead zones should always be the same. The satellites are named "Rock" and "Roll." They have a set of spare satellites named "Rhythm" and "Blues." Sirius uses a 3 satellite system where they actally orbit around the earth, exactly like the earth orbits around the sun. As the day goes by it transmits from a different location in the sky. In a 24 hour cycle you should get reception from all 3 satellites. There are dead spots as well, but they move during the day. I noticed with Sirius in my home years ago that signal strength was better or worse at different times during the day.

I have a friend who does customer service for Sirius/XM. She told me she can always tell which service a customer uses. Sirius is in higher end cars and XM seems to be in cars for the masses. She says Sirius customers are always unpleasant and demanding, while XM people are always happier and thankful for service.

Hope this helps.