Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Review Viper Remote Smart Start installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:41 PM
msmching

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Viper Remote Smart Start installed!!

I'm not sure how many people has this thing in their car since I have only found information in the past. I wanted to know how it is on our car at first, but i pulled the trigger and went ahead to get it installed.

Viper SmartStart

It works with/without an existing Viper product in your vehicle. There are two models that are provided. (The VSS 3000 w/out Alarm, that applies when you have an existing Viper product installed in your car and the VSS 5000 w Alarm, that applies when you do not have an existing Viper product installed in your car)

I've gotten myself an Authorized Viper Dealer, Pro Tint in Temple City, CA to do the install for me. Don't get scared by the asking price on the website. I m sure you will be able to get it cheaper if you get it directly from the store. (Not Bestbuy).
The VSS5000 that i got, cost me about $299.00 only. I was charged a total of $760.00 and $40.00 tips to the installer. The owner, Jeff, actually didn't know how complicated it is to do this because of our push start system, and charged me low on it. It took them about 3 days total to figure everything out. He did not charge me extra on anything else.

To Summarized:
Item that I got: VSS5000 and the VSM250.
(The VSM 250 is the module that you'll need to have as well. I chose this because this product doesn't require you to have your spare key installed in your vehicle.)

Install days: 3 days (why? I believe its their first time installing this on our car. They had to keep calling Viper for instructions)

Price: $800.00 (Including $40.00 tips) Plus an annual fee to Viper at $50.00/year

Good:
- With the Iphone application, you can basically start the car anywhere in the world as long as you have internet access.

- It comes with an extra remote like the others.

- The OEM key remote still works totally fine as before.

- You get a text message when the Viper alarm went off. (Not the oem's)

- As usual, you can warm up/cool down your car first!!

- Well, cool thing to have??

Bad:
- I actually hope that it will work together with the OEM key remote, and now that I have to carry an extra Viper remote.

- Watch out for your car's battery as Remote start requires more power! I had to switch out my OEM battery to a better one. I chose to go with interstate Mega Tron Plus only as I m not planning to have any audio system installed in my car.

- Wires, lots of wires. Though hidden behind the panel, I hope you have a good installer that keeps it tidy.

- Like what many users of Viper has complained, the phone application allows you to turn on and off the vehicle, but it doesn't show you if the car's really started or off. If you or your friends accidentally press the start button milessss away, then you're SOL.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Chekz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by msmching

Bad:
- I actually hope that it will work together with the OEM key remote, and now that I have to carry an extra Viper remote.

- Watch out for your car's battery as Remote start requires more power! I had to switch out my OEM battery to a better one. I chose to go with interstate Mega Tron Plus only as I m not planning to have any audio system installed in my car.

- Wires, lots of wires. Though hidden behind the panel, I hope you have a good installer that keeps it tidy.

- Like what many users of Viper has complained, the phone application allows you to turn on and off the vehicle, but it doesn't show you if the car's really started or off. If you or your friends accidentally press the start button milessss away, then you're SOL.
why carry the remote if you have your phone?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:51 PM
msmching

2 Reasons:
- You may lose your phone or your phone can run out of battery or you're at an underground parking where there's no reception for internet.

- Sometimes, its faster to de-activate the alarm with the remote then to take out your phone, select the application, wait for it to load...etc
Old 01-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Why dont you just use the OEM intelligent key?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:21 PM
msmching

Originally Posted by Modme
Why dont you just use the OEM intelligent key?
From my understanding... I have to use the Viper remote/application to activate the Viper alarm.
If I use the OEM remote, it will only activate the OEM alarm.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:21 PM
datboiroy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well if you accidently turn on your car using the phone app. Your car will only be running for 15 min. After 15 min, the engine shuts off. I like that feature on the remote start.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:01 AM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
800 for a remote starter>? goddamn
Old 01-17-2012, 04:00 AM
harp00n

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
for that price they should make it work only with the OEM remote, so it will activate/disactivate Viper alarm too. i know it is possible.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:02 PM
msmching

Originally Posted by harp00n
for that price they should make it work only with the OEM remote, so it will activate/disactivate Viper alarm too. i know it is possible.
if its really possible... i dont think i want to go back again. @@ it takes quite a while for them to get it done. they only have one installer.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Chekz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by msmching
if its really possible... i dont think i want to go back again. @@ it takes quite a while for them to get it done. they only have one installer.
yea it is possible, some members already got it done that way.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:35 PM
htran16

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the great review. $800 and 3 days to complete the job? sounds like they weren't too experienced. push start button cars have been around for awhile now.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 PM
xSSv

Wow $800? That doesn't sound right.

This should have been

$350 brand new
$100 install
$50 for the modual needed.
$40 tip

I purchased it last year but sold it before I had it installed, but it should have only Viper had a deal $99 for 3yrs.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:40 PM
msmching

Originally Posted by xSSv
Wow $800? That doesn't sound right.

This should have been

$350 brand new
$100 install
$50 for the modual needed.
$40 tip

I purchased it last year but sold it before I had it installed, but it should have only Viper had a deal $99 for 3yrs.
Nice!! THat's cheap price you got!

Like i said, the Viper cost me $299 plus Module plus about 4 hours of labor. I did give them a little extra tho.. (Thinking that if you pay more, people will do a better job at it)..
Old 01-18-2012, 08:38 PM
azirian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekz
yea it is possible, some members already got it done that way.
Do you know if theres a link to how it's done. I would love to do this!! I hate carrying 2 remotes.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:30 PM
kosstick

on the viper website the Vss5000 is stated as a complete kit which doesn't require anything else.. It shows that the VSM250 only adds smart start + gps, where vss5000 has smartstart + security..

Quick Reply: Review Viper Remote Smart Start installed!!