Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Can't play my MP3 in the stock stereo.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Can't play my MP3 in the stock stereo.

With the stock stereo there is no auxillery cable input that I can find (unless it's hidden really well) so when I try and connect my MP3 thru the USB it just says "check connection device" and nothing plays. Why does this car not have an aux cable input? Is there any way to play my MP3 thru the car stereo because the adapters I searched for all need a aux input to be in the car. Am I missing something here? All it says in the manual is connect USB and press Aux and it will show up on screen and play.

Can I transfer the music files to a USB Flash drive and connect that? Will that work and let me control the music thru the nav screen? I really don't wanna have a gazillion CD's in my car.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What kind of MP3 player do you have?

You can play files from a USB flash drive.

You can import CDs to the car's harddrive.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:38 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
it's probably your mp3. i've had the same occurring issue with my iPod. typically a restart fixes the issue. dealership visit?
Old 12-26-2011, 05:36 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Just get a thumb drive big enough to hold all your collections, and you will be happy.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Yosemite Dan

Thanx guys. My kid's IPOD touch works fine connected to the USB slot so it may be my MP3 (it's new) but it still sucks that there is no jack input. My buddy's Corolla even has that.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:31 AM
QueenCityG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i was disappointed with this as well.

i personally DO NOT like how the infiniti interacts with my ipod when its plugged it. i cant stand scrolling through my playlist or songs and such. i wish i could just plug up the Aux cable and scroll manually on my ipod.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:37 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by QueenCityG37
yeah i was disappointed with this as well.

i personally DO NOT like how the infiniti interacts with my ipod when its plugged it. i cant stand scrolling through my playlist or songs and such. i wish i could just plug up the Aux cable and scroll manually on my ipod.
What's the problem with scrolling through the stereo? I can scroll through everything just like on the ipod.

It's safer than scrolling on the ipod while driving.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Yosemite Dan

So I bought a 16 gig flash USB flash drive for $17 and it works out better for me because it's more compact so I can attach it to my key chain if need be. I don't have to worry about my MP3 player battery and since my player is only 8 gig I can store twice as much music which is important since I use the highest MP3 bit rate for all my music and that only stores about 100 songs per gig.

Word of advice if you really want to improve the sound of the stock system. If you have MP3 files at a lower bit rate, convert it to a the highest bit rate (328 kbps, most people have it at half of that) under Windows Media. It makes a world of difference. It's louder, the bass is much cleaner, the highs are much clearer and no distortion even at the highest volume on the stock stereo. It sounds noticebly better than playing a studio CD in your car CD player. You will feel like you have the premium system in your car. I can only imagine how good it would sound on the Bose.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:46 PM
QueenCityG37

Originally Posted by tejasg37x
What's the problem with scrolling through the stereo? I can scroll through everything just like on the ipod.

It's safer than scrolling on the ipod while driving.
when you have 8000 songs...with thousands of artists...it takes WAY to long to get the S's or T. lol

when your on the ipod you move your thumb quick and it will jump to the letter you want.

you are correct that using the wheel controls is safer..but it takes SO LONG.
i would like it better if you could jump to each letter in alphabetical order
Old 01-06-2012, 10:26 AM
blackhawksfan81

when you have 8000 songs...with thousands of artists...it takes WAY to long to get the S's or T. lol

when your on the ipod you move your thumb quick and it will jump to the letter you want.

you are correct that using the wheel controls is safer..but it takes SO LONG.
i would like it better if you could jump to each letter in alphabetical order
The Artists and Albums menus should be alphabetized by default. If you turn the control **** quickly, or hold the steering wheel rocker button, it will jump by letter, just like on the iPod.

You can also sort songs within playlists alphabetically. Sort it in iTunes, then sync, and it will save that sort setting on your iPod.

I agree it's not a very convenient system. Especially because you have to navigate back to the album you want from the beginning of the menu screen. (If you're in a playlist, you can hit the back button to jump back a level, but if you switch to Navigation mode or any other function, you have to start back over). My solution was to create many many playlists for my favorite songs/artists. That way they're all available under with limited scrolling.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:40 AM
QueenCityG37

yup you are right...and i try to hold the down arrow down to scroll through all 900 artists that i have...but unlike the ipod..all you see if the numbers ticking by...not the letter that im on...so if i want to go to the P's...i have to hold it down till im in like the 600's, lol.

ive learned to make playlists to get to the music i want easier.

i think these are some simple things infiniti can improve on..not a lot of code needed.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:44 PM
blackhawksfan81

yup you are right...and i try to hold the down arrow down to scroll through all 900 artists that i have...but unlike the ipod..all you see if the numbers ticking by...not the letter that im on...so if i want to go to the P's...i have to hold it down till im in like the 600's, lol.

ive learned to make playlists to get to the music i want easier.

i think these are some simple things infiniti can improve on..not a lot of code needed.
Yep, not even Infiniti though, whoever is their supplier for the head units (giggity).

I've never driven a Ford with the voice sync technology, but if it's anything like the commercials, it must be nice. I'd love to press a button and say "Led Zeppelin" and have it queue up that artist.