Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

What else can the MusicBox HD be used for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:00 PM
JayElDee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What else can the MusicBox HD be used for?

Like many, I thought the 9.3 GB hd, the so-called Music Box, could accept MP3s for playback. But no.

What was Infiniti thinking? The decision tree to come to this non "use" is embarrassing for the marque. I, and many others, stopped buying CDs as soon as I learned how to download. Even when music is bought legitimately it is most often an MP3 format (except for iTunes store where it's AAC I think). This MusicBox usage of technology predates the Millinium. This was really hot in 1999.

WSJ reported last week that CDs will be obsolete, no longer made, by next year. I use my iPhone plugged in for music as well as XM, but there is that 9.3 GB HD sitting there, useless to many of us. I know many rip the CDs in the Music Box (what a misnomer) as designed. That is a minority and in these days flat Earth thinking

Is there any use to which it can be put other than ripping CDs?
Are there any firmware hacks that allow it to play MP3s like a "real" HD?
Is there any way to access its storage in 2011 to make it more than dead weight?

I suppose the answer is No?
ugh

John
Old 11-20-2011, 09:33 PM
jjasonSU

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Lol @ cd's obsolete in 2012

It rips the music and compresses it. That's what an mp3 is.
Do you have a compact flash
?
Old 11-20-2011, 10:36 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jjasonSU

?
CD's themselves may not become obsolete anytime soon, but CD players in cars are on the way out right now. Even Ford has stated they will discontinue CD changers in their cars after this year, and soon will discontinue single cd players. That was stated earlier this year...

Last edited by tejasg37x; 11-20-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Poor CD's. The digital media player/media market has put a nail in their coffin.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This frustrates me as well. I have a higher end 2011 car with a useless hard drive. My wife's 2008 minivan has an all accesible hard drive that you can put anything on and is very useful. Pathetic.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:23 AM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
other than MP3 ripping, theres not much else you can do.

maybe it would be cool to allow it to rip DVDs so your passangers can watch while you drive...but that goes against the whole "no watching dvds while driving" lock out.

other than that I dont know what else you'd want it to do? install an OS on it?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:41 PM
JayElDee

I admit it was venting a bit, but on the Wall Street Journal report, that is exactly what they said: no more CDs.

Yes I have compact flash and I will load it up. It's interesting that the compact flash does what we all want the HD to do.

The G is new to me. I've only had her for about 2 weeks and I am still learning. And since the Aztecs have predicted the end of the "calendar" in 12/12, I suppose it really makes no difference.

Regarding what I would do with it...don't know. It seems the people who drive these fine cars might have gotten creative to use it more than a celebration of gravity, inertia and momentum, which is sort of what it is now.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:55 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by JayElDee
I admit it was venting a bit, but on the Wall Street Journal report, that is exactly what they said: no more CDs.

Yes I have compact flash and I will load it up. It's interesting that the compact flash does what we all want the HD to do.

The G is new to me. I've only had her for about 2 weeks and I am still learning. And since the Aztecs have predicted the end of the "calendar" in 12/12, I suppose it really makes no difference.

Regarding what I would do with it...don't know. It seems the people who drive these fine cars might have gotten creative to use it more than a celebration of gravity, inertia and momentum, which is sort of what it is now.
Sorry for correcting your statement...but it's the Mayan calendar that people are saying predicts the world to end in 2012. LOL...I was in Mexico last week at one of the Mayan sites in Dzibilchaltun.

Back to the subject though...it seems that if a cd can be ripped to the hard drive, there should be away to transfer and already compressed file to it. Surely someone has figured it out...

Last edited by tejasg37x; 11-21-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:30 PM
blitzebill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here's an article about the demise of the CD from CNN from over a year ago:

Is the death of the CD looming? - CNN.com
Old 11-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Hey I have a ton of CDs all installed on my hard drive. MP3s I have on a 32gig thumb drive. I don't get your frustration. If I can have a thumb drive with 32 gig why do I even need a hard drive in the car? Well its for old farts like me who still have a collection of CDs.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:47 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by Tazicon
Hey I have a ton of CDs all installed on my hard drive. MP3s I have on a 32gig thumb drive. I don't get your frustration. If I can have a thumb drive with 32 gig why do I even need a hard drive in the car? Well its for old farts like me who still have a collection of CDs.
Very true...the hard drive is kind of worthless unless it was 16, 32, 64G

I just use an ipod or flash drive...nothing is on my hard drive

Last edited by tejasg37x; 11-21-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:13 PM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

How about burn your MP3s into a normal CD format and then rip the tracks onto the HDD? Every computer now comes with a DVD/CD burner, and blank CDs are cheap as hell...
The following users liked this post:
MStrike (09-09-2020)
Old 11-22-2011, 02:43 AM
demonmarcus

Originally Posted by BradManUWF
How about burn your MP3s into a normal CD format and then rip the tracks onto the HDD? Every computer now comes with a DVD/CD burner, and blank CDs are cheap as hell...
Too much work .. I kind of also wish they would make more use of all the tech in this car. Maybe in the next iteration
Old 11-22-2011, 06:22 AM
JayElDee

Originally Posted by blitzebill
here's an article about the demise of the CD from CNN from over a year ago:

Is the death of the CD looming? - CNN.com
I this the format will linger, after all, turntables are still sold, but the days of having a wall full of cd s are over.

It is a waste of technology in our cars that is contrary to the rest of it. BTW, I too am an old fart, Medicare age-barely, and view the cd as a speed bump to listening to music.

If you want to rip, please do. But it is flat Earth.

John
Old 11-22-2011, 10:26 AM
davv1215

Originally Posted by jjasonSU

?
How would a compact flash help in the 2011's? I don't think we have that slot.

Quick Reply: What else can the MusicBox HD be used for?