Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Electrical problem fixed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 12:53 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Electrical problem fixed.

So I deleted my original thread because I thought I would have to take it to the dealer for warranty and didn't want anything floating around on the internet. Long story short, I tried to install LED blinkers with resistors and my whole car's electrical system went crazy on me. Could not start it or roll up the windows or turn on the lights or anything and eventually the battery completly drained.

So I took everything off and unplugged all I could then put the battery on a charger for a while then jump started it. It started up ok and everything seemed to be working fine, except for a CEL light. I cleared it, but will watch for it to come back.

Lets just say I am NEVER messing with anything electrical related again! That scared the living **** out of me.

Thanks to ModMe and others for the help and advice they gave me yesterday.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good news wake, thought you were gonna be SOL man.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:59 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Good to hear.

Yeah, unlike cars from just a few years ago, these things have way too much going on and it's all very integrated. I'm staying away from fussing with that stuff.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:01 PM
wakeboardr116

Yeah I am done with that. I was about to start freaking out this morning.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
It's perfectly fine to work on electrical things in your car. If you know 100% what you are doing. If not, leave it the hell alone or it can get really expensive really fast.

BTW, the smart thing to do was to see what the CEL code was before just clearing it. Especially after your electrical debacle - I can't imagine why you'd just ignore it like that. It's never a good idea to just clear it without knowing what it is, I hope that doesn't come back to bite you in the butt.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Haha. You erased the thread right when I replied.

When you said your lights started flickering and make buzz noise I already knew your battery was low.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:17 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Back in the day.... (not sure which, as I only learned this about 15 years ago), there's an acronym.. KISS. It's not meant to be offensive in any way, but it's really applicable in many situations.

KISS acronym

Always a good idea to revert back to basics to figure something out. A battery guage might of been useful in this case, or a multimeter. I suspect if you reinstall your lights, you'll be ok.

The bigger question however, why was your battery run down. Having marker/turn lights on, or door open for an hr shouldn't kill your battery unless it's in a low state to begin with. Is it in a low state because it's just old and worn, or is there some underlying electrical issue keeping your battery from getting fully charged......{hmmm}
Old 11-11-2011, 01:17 PM
wakeboardr116

Originally Posted by Black Betty
It's perfectly fine to work on electrical things in your car. If you know 100% what you are doing. If not, leave it the hell alone or it can get really expensive really fast.

BTW, the smart thing to do was to see what the CEL code was before just clearing it. Especially after your electrical debacle - I can't imagine why you'd just ignore it like that. It's never a good idea to just clear it without knowing what it is, I hope that doesn't come back to bite you in the butt.
I wrote it down and looked it up before I did. P0603 was the code. This explains it in more detail http://engine-codes.com/p0603_nissan.html

It says to first try charging the battery and clearing the code. Then if it comes back look into it more.

Don't worry, I'm not that stupid to just blindly clear it without looking. lol
Old 11-11-2011, 01:21 PM
wakeboardr116

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Back in the day.... (not sure which, as I only learned this about 15 years ago), there's an acronym.. KISS. It's not meant to be offensive in any way, but it's really applicable in many situations.

KISS acronym

Always a good idea to revert back to basics to figure something out. A battery guage might of been useful in this case, or a multimeter. I suspect if you reinstall your lights, you'll be ok.

The bigger question however, why was your battery run down. Having marker/turn lights on, or door open for an hr shouldn't kill your battery unless it's in a low state to begin with. Is it in a low state because it's just old and worn, or is there some underlying electrical issue keeping your battery from getting fully charged......{hmmm}
Haha nice. I'm not offended. The way things were acting so strangly I thought it had to be something more serious. I've never heard of anything acting this strange with just a low battery. It wasnt just the lights. The entire car was acting crazy, even my radar detector started freaking out on me and the locks on my door were clicking on and off at times.

Yeah I think the battery might be going bad, even though this is my 3rd one from infiniti. I'll get it tested at autozone today.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:25 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
With the car idling, what is the voltage across the battery terminals? What about say 2K rpm?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:46 PM
BHB 91

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had batteries that when going out would make the car do some pretty strange stuff. Hopefully that is all it was.