Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

No Nav Back up camera solution

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 11:28 PM
Dutchmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Realized This Has Been Covered Numerous Times Here, as Well as the g35 Forum (I've Personally Read Most of Them)

Everyone Seems to Have a "Work Around", But as OP States "Install OEM" System... I Don't Understand (Mainly Because No Once Addressed the Issue with Simply Swapping the Original OEM Rear Spoiler w/Cam and Nav Display From a Salvage Source)

As a 15y Residential Electrician and a Graduate of an Autobody Repair/Paint School. Not to Mention Owning Over 20 "Junkers" which Constantly Needed Repaired (Having More Time/Curiosity Than Money) I've Learn Quite a bite About Automobiles-Not to Mention I've Been an Audiophile Since ANY Subwoofer Box (Despite Brand) Were Called "Kicker Boxes"....

Anyway, I Leaned Automobiles are Built With Wiring Harnesses Including All Inputs/Outputs for Options. That way, Pre-Delivery the Consumer Has the Choice to Add, Whatever Options/Upgrades They Wish (Post-Production) ...From the Auto-Manufacturers Perspective, its the Only Logical/Cost Efficient Solution...

So Unless the Nav System Has Some Sort of Anti-Theft Device, or Some Sort of Other Issue I'm Missing??

Can Someone Knowledgeable PLEASE Enlighten Me??

I Found a Black '09 g37x w/77K for $15K(w/o Cam/Nav )
Which I'm in Love With ... However, I Feel w/o a Practical Resolution (I'm Able and Willing to do All Labor) I Feel This will be a Deal Breaker

Thanks,
Dutch

Last edited by Dutchmaster; 02-25-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Corey Kunak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dutchmaster
I Realized This Has Been Covered Numerous Times Here, as Well as the g35 Forum (I've Personally Read Most of Them)

Everyone Seems to Have a "Work Around", But as OP States "Install OEM" System... I Don't Understand (Mainly Because No Once Addressed the Issue with Simply Swapping the Original OEM Rear Spoiler w/Cam and Nav Display From a Salvage Source)

As a 15y Residential Electrician and a Graduate of an Autobody Repair/Paint School. Not to Mention Owning Over 20 "Junkers" which Constantly Needed Repaired (Having More Time/Curiosity Than Money) I've Learn Quite a bite About Automobiles-Not to Mention I've Been an Audiophile Since ANY Subwoofer Box (Despite Brand) Were Called "Kicker Boxes"....

Anyway, I Leaned Automobiles are Built With Wiring Harnesses Including All Inputs/Outputs for Options. That way, Pre-Delivery the Consumer Has the Choice to Add, Whatever Options/Upgrades They Wish (Post-Production) ...From the Auto-Manufacturers Perspective, its the Only Logical/Cost Efficient Solution...

So Unless the Nav System Has Some Sort of Anti-Theft Device, or Some Sort of Other Issue I'm Missing??

Can Someone Knowledgeable PLEASE Enlighten Me??

I Found a Black '09 g37x w/77K for $15K(w/o Cam/Nav )
Which I'm in Love With ... However, I Feel w/o a Practical Resolution (I'm Able and Willing to do All Labor) I Feel This will be a Deal Breaker

Thanks,
Dutch
the car does come with the connector for a 09 backup camera with out nav
the problem is that connector is used for the xm unit or the bluetooth unit.
and it not a simple thing of just disconnecting on of them and it just works.
the radio without nav does not know what to do with the unit because its not programed to know.

that would require you to change the radio to a nav unit and then figure out how to wire that harness in to the radio.

i have done this nav swap and did not want to waste anymore time with the oem backup camera. so i got one of the units described in this posts.
and then wired it up to the oem spoiler with the oem camera installed on it.

it works better in my eyes because i don't have any stupid lines in my way.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:54 PM
knyghtfire
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, I had a few questions, about this mod as I am very interested in this, so far I have gathered the following pieces
1)sedan spoiler with camera cutout
2)OEM camera
3) very close to obtaining the camera control unit

So my questions are

1) does anyone know where I can find a complete wiring diagram for a 2009 g37 sedan non Bose and non navi? (Cause I've seen some with factory installed OEM cameras)
2) Related to the previous comment: why is it if i purchase an aftermarket module it will switch to the camera automatically when I put it in reverse, but if I piece together the OEM camera parts the OEM radio won't know what to do?
I'm only asking because I like the look and functionality of the OEM camera, but if it is 100% impossible I will settle for aftermarket, so far though all I've read is that it is really hard to do or ridiculouly expensive, and finding detailed information is very hard.

so far Ive spent $40 on the spoiler and $50 on a camera, with maybe $100 on the camera control unit to go.

Here is my train of thought

1-install OEM camera
2-install OEM camera control unit
3-wire camera to control unit
4-run wires from control unit to AV unit behind radio
5-run cable from the steering sensor to the cam control unit

As far as I can tell (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but the 2009+ G37s already come with the steering angle sensor installed. I know I'm making this sound way to easy but, if there is a major obstacle I'm not seeing please enlighten...as I said if I'm asking way to much then I'll go the aftermarket however I am willing to put the time in to get as close to stock as possible.

Other projects I'm also looking at is installing the OEM bluetooth and possibly the OEM Navigation.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but ANY help is greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-18-2015, 03:13 PM
slotterjordan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BH818
there is no problem, in switching. You ground the parking brake, cut the speeding sensor and connect the camera to power on when the car is in reverse (the video is projected throught the red rca connection and you can view it by pressing the AUX button

I work at a mechanic in So Cal I've done it to my car

if you are located in So Cal pm me and we can setup up something I've installed two already one was a customers (he did not want to spend extra money to get it installed in the chrome spoiler like the oem so we installed it on the license plate) but mine is custom fitted on the spoiler :P

I'll post pics tonight
So can you explain to me how to cut the speed sensing wire and ground the parking brake? That is my problem . When ever I start rolling it shuts off. And also the E brake . I just lift it up a notch and let the sensor go off
Old 11-18-2021, 01:56 AM
3santana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im in los angeles Im tryna get my g37 sedan 2010 with no nav areverse camera

Originally Posted by BH818
there is no problem, in switching. You ground the parking brake, cut the speeding sensor and connect the camera to power on when the car is in reverse (the video is projected throught the red rca connection and you can view it by pressing the AUX button

I work at a mechanic in So Cal I've done it to my car

if you are located in So Cal pm me and we can setup up something I've installed two already one was a customers (he did not want to spend extra money to get it installed in the chrome spoiler like the oem so we installed it on the license plate) but mine is custom fitted on the spoiler :P

I'll post pics tonight
Hit me up bro my Instagram is @3santana im in los angeles area i want a reverse camera talped into my aux button or somethinh i also have rca cables in my 2010 g37 sedan
Let me know