Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

2008 G37 possible to upgrade to stock NAVI unit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 06:18 AM
SANTOS29

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I been looking to upgrade my nav unit on my 2009 to the new 2010+ nav unit, but haven't found much info either, Modme is it easier to switch if you already have a nav unit? I just want the better resolution and new color scheme and will the dealer sell me the unit?

Last edited by SANTOS29; 05-05-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:06 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
can someone post more info on this swap? I have an 09 FX35 with the low res display - which replacement parts do I need to get?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
It is easier to swap if you already have navi. However, it is not a plug and play job. It involves a lot of rewiring. Expect to split the existing wires and rearrange to fit the new navi layout.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:22 AM
j23a45m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Modme
It is easier to swap if you already have navi. However, it is not a plug and play job. It involves a lot of rewiring. Expect to split the existing wires and rearrange to fit the new navi layout.
yes did you take pics or a potential d.i.y?
also did this upgrade the iPod connection as well?
Old 11-19-2012, 10:35 AM
mystikal
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its absolutely possible as MODME stated to add the Navigation unit to a non navi car...I actually just started mine this past weekend...installing a unit from a 2011 g37s convertible, to my 2011 sedan non navi...the unit is very similar...except my car didn't have the BOSE system so I'm having to figure out how to bypass that system.. If you are planing on doing this install--> Refer to the av section on http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/...look up your Av unit and try to doing some "homework" on the diagram before attempting to do so...its not an easy task..you have to rearrange wires to make the unit work--> cutting/splicing up your factory harness..Here is a couple pictures..

If you look at my dash board there is no center speaker above the unit (usually a car with the "BOSE" system will have the navi option, and thus have the center speaker)
Old 11-19-2012, 12:21 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Was it worth it?

How updated are the maps?
Can you update the maps later?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:18 PM
mystikal
Registered Member

it was worth the install, I got a good deal for all the parts, just need to finish it up. I believe the navi boosts up you resale value, which is always a plus. Not too sure of the updated map (havent messed around with it) but yes im sure you can update it by getting the new version.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Abramite
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
So if you have a Bose system then you don't have to splice as many wires?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:13 AM
j23a45m

Originally Posted by mystikal
Its absolutely possible as MODME stated to add the Navigation unit to a non navi car...I actually just started mine this past weekend...installing a unit from a 2011 g37s convertible, to my 2011 sedan non navi...the unit is very similar...except my car didn't have the BOSE system so I'm having to figure out how to bypass that system.. If you are planing on doing this install--> Refer to the av section on http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/...look up your Av unit and try to doing some "homework" on the diagram before attempting to do so...its not an easy task..you have to rearrange wires to make the unit work--> cutting/splicing up your factory harness..Here is a couple pictures..

If you look at my dash board there is no center speaker above the unit (usually a car with the "BOSE" system will have the navi option, and thus have the center speaker)
the link doesn't work for me
Old 11-20-2012, 10:59 AM
mystikal
Registered Member

refer to your wire diagrams...be sure to get the harness/pig tails from the back of the Navi unit, screen, gps antenna, etc,
Index of /FSM/G37
that's the link with the wiring diagram...
Old 01-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Sunofabeach

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mystikal
it was worth the install, I got a good deal for all the parts, just need to finish it up. I believe the navi boosts up you resale value, which is always a plus. Not too sure of the updated map (havent messed around with it) but yes im sure you can update it by getting the new version.
Hey Im in FL too and i would like to do this! How long would you say it takes to do this for someone who knows their stuff? Would it be worth it for me to pay and electrical shop to do it? I have a guy who really knows what he's doing. Also, what parts would I need? You think I could get them all on eBay?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Ron James

I got my parts on eBay but didn't go through with the conversion. I have a 2011 AV unit and button panel. PM me if you're interested.

Originally Posted by Sunofabeach
Hey Im in FL too and i would like to do this! How long would you say it takes to do this for someone who knows their stuff? Would it be worth it for me to pay and electrical shop to do it? I have a guy who really knows what he's doing. Also, what parts would I need? You think I could get them all on eBay?
Old 01-19-2013, 01:55 PM
a17z
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Modme, I think I have most of the necessary parts except for any connectors/pigtails. Is that going to be a problem? And were you able to hook up USB? I have an 08 Sedan with Navi and looking to upgrade to the 2010 version. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Youre going to need pigtails. It'll make the job 90% easier. Without pigtails, you would need to make your own harness, which is possible but a lot of work.

I was able to hook up the USB. I had the usb cable pigtail, to which i simply connected a female USB port.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It's definitely possible. I upgraded my 2008 navigation to 2010 version. I've also added navigation to a non navi 2006 Infiniti Fx35. It's definitely not that difficult. It requires rearranging the wires and tapping into a few wires. I'm selling my 2008 navigation system. If you're interested, I can walk you through the process.
How difficult was it to upgrade the 2008 nav system to the 2010 version? I do like the high resolution display of the new models!

~edit: never mind read the above posts.

Quick Reply: 2008 G37 possible to upgrade to stock NAVI unit?