Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help Blown Rear Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:21 PM
fluxemag

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Blown Rear Speakers

I have a JL 10W6 in the trunk in a custom box I made just below the rear parcel shelf. Unfortunately, I've blown the stock speakers out in the rear. I suspect the resonance of the sub popped them since the trunk is probably pretty air tight with the seat up. I have the non-bose system and a 2010 coupe. Any thoughts on how I can change up the factory speaker arrangement without spending too much dough ($600 or so)? I'd rather not install another amp, since the mono block amp takes up most of the mounting area on the seat back.

Would replacing the speakers alone be worth it, or would they just get blown for lack of power from the factory head unit? I was thinking some decent components for the doors and maybe just removing the rear speakers and leaving holes for the trunk to port through. Maybe it would be possible to bridge the front and rear channels to beef up the power output going to the doors.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Brooklynstar23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was under the impression after market speakers dont fit in our G's (except for the rear subs) You might be able to put after market speakers in but it will take quite a bit of modding.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Why replace them? Rear speakers are useless. Have you ever gone to a concert and intentionally faced away from the stage so that the music comes from behind you? Are the main speakers in your stereo at home placed at the back if the room? Music should come from in front of you, not behind. Rear speakers = evil. Disconnect them altogether.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:41 PM
fluxemag

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Why replace them? Rear speakers are useless. Have you ever gone to a concert and intentionally faced away from the stage so that the music comes from behind you? Are the main speakers in your stereo at home placed at the back if the room? Music should come from in front of you, not behind. Rear speakers = evil. Disconnect them altogether.
I'll give disconnecting them a shot, if the fronts aren't loud enough to keep up with the bass coming from the trunk I guess I'll have to see what a stereo shop can do for me on the doors.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Fully sound deaden the front doors. Disconnect the rear speakers. Replace the front speakers with a quality set of 2 or 3 way components. Buy a quality amplifier for them and run 75 to 150 watts of clean power to each side. You'll be happy.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:45 PM
fluxemag

Thumbs up

Update...the sub was blown, not the rear speakers. I put a new one in at lunch and all is well.