Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Radar & G37 windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 03:47 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Radar & G37 windshield?

Granted there is not as much radar in California as other states, but on a 800+ mile round trip to Yosemite last week I only got (1) forward hit on my V1 detector. All the others were side and rear. Fluke, or does the windshield on the G37 interfere with radar detection?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:13 PM
dopetime

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
on a side note. j/w how your experience has been with the v1. PM me if you don't wanna clutter your thread.

did you get a ticket on that trip or see any cops? if not, then i would say it doesn't interfere. or do you mean that the windshield caused the one fluke? not sure what you mean.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:31 PM
hechen507
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
My WHISTLER XTR-105 works perfectly on the windshield, I have it mounted in the middle of my windshield on the dash
Old 07-10-2011, 11:22 AM
slickrick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no issues with my V1...such a great thing to have too.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:37 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No problem with my Passport. I have it along side the mirror up in the tinted area so it is not easy to see from the outside. It has saved me quite a few times from getting a ticket.
Last year, on one of my extended trips, I was driving on 54 hwy between Wichita,KS and Lake of the Ozarks,MO. Somewhere about midway of the 300 mile trip of 2 lane, I had just passed a cluster of 2 semis and a 2 cars. I was only going to pass one or two at a time, but I could see nothing was coming so I kept the pedal down.
When I was pulling back in my detector went off. I was doing close to 130 mph. The speed limit is either 60 or 65. It was early on a Sunday morning, in the middle of nowhere, with hardly any traffic except for the group I was passing, so I wasn't expecting a radar trap. My normal speed is only about 10 miles over the limit.
Either I slowed down fast enough or the cop was asleep in his SUV that was parked about 3/4 mile up on the other side of the road, facing my direction.

My detector goes off whenever I approach the type signs that shows you how fast you are going. That should let you know if yours is picking up signals from the front, unless yours is more advanced then mine and doesn't cause your detector to go off.
Tom
Old 07-10-2011, 12:40 PM
john6mt

My v1 works fine with the mikes mount. Picks up signals earlier than the passport
Old 07-10-2011, 07:56 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
OK, just a weird trip with no radar from the front it seems. On a side note, sure was a fun drive from Oakhurst to the Valley everyone pulled right when I came up behind them! That does not happen very often.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:56 PM
slickrick

Originally Posted by john6mt
My v1 works fine with the mikes mount. Picks up signals earlier than the passport
have any issues with the Laser going on randomly? Mine does and it is because of the screen. I doubt me having the navigation option has anything to do with it.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:16 PM
NoMoneyNoHoney

Originally Posted by slickrick
have any issues with the Laser going on randomly? Mine does and it is because of the screen. I doubt me having the navigation option has anything to do with it.
Radar detectors also pick up signals from automatic-doors such as those you see in supermarkets. It's a false alarm. You need to tweak it to ignore those signals if you don't want it to "randomly" go off.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Radars work behind just about any glass. The custom mounted ones can be mounted behind the bumper out of plain sight and work just as well. Just no laser alerts.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:59 AM
voltic

For what it's worth, I've noticed that my Ka-band sensitivity is reduced behind my G37's windshield compared to the Altima's. Unfortunately that's the band CHP uses. K-band on the other hand it doesn't seem to have any effect, but that's only useful information in Nevada.

Other useful things to know are that if a cop is facing toward the direction of travel shooting his forward radar, it's possible to not get a hit on your detector, or it may be a last-second hit since the radar waves aren't directed right at you, and there's no telling how they are reflecting off of surfaces in front of the police car.

It's also possible that your front array is bad.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:24 PM
slickrick

Originally Posted by NoMoneyNoHoney
Radar detectors also pick up signals from automatic-doors such as those you see in supermarkets. It's a false alarm. You need to tweak it to ignore those signals if you don't want it to "randomly" go off.
I'm fully aware, im speaking of the laser only. as soon as you put the radar to the screen it goes wild. i have the laser off, but id like to put it back on because its used more now by the police.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:54 PM
voltic

Originally Posted by slickrick
I'm fully aware, im speaking of the laser only. as soon as you put the radar to the screen it goes wild. i have the laser off, but id like to put it back on because its used more now by the police.
I hope you're also aware that an early laser hit is pretty much only possible if the beam reflects off of a car in front of you while the officer is trying to read their speed. It's a pinpoint beam. When your detector goes off, you're pretty much already toast unless the laser gun didn't get a good reflection off of your car. Not to mention there's no guarantee that your detector is going to actually see the laser if it's mounted on a windshield. They aim for plates and headlights, generally speaking. The only thing I feel a laser detector really does is let the cop know you have a detector when you slam on your brakes.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
lasers.... get some good shifters. ESP when laser tamers come out with their stuff
Old 07-13-2011, 03:56 AM
voltic

Tell me more.

Quick Reply: Radar & G37 windshield?