Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Boxology Subwoofer Enclosure - Driver + Passenger Group Buy interest???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Sena

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boxology Subwoofer Enclosure - Driver + Passenger Group Buy interest???

I've been trying to convince Nick to produce a passenger side since November. I don't think that he will unless there is enough interest. I won't buy just the one side. So I'd like to see if anyone else is SERIOUSLY interested in getting the passenger side. If you don't know what I'm talking about. Here is the link to the enclosure. Infinity G Coupes It is absolutely perfect. Sits comfortably in the corners of the trunk and allows for the rear seats to fold down!!!

Nick!!! Make me one!!!

1. Sena (Driver and Passenger side)

Please don't add your name to the list unless you are prepared to send a 50% deposit to Nick.

I'll send this link to Nick as well. I'm hoping that he will be ok with 10? I'll buy 2 and resell one if I have to.

*Nick, let me know how many you need to produce the passenger side please!!!

Last edited by Sena; 06-14-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Topher9425
Premier Member

Received 122 Likes on 115 Posts
Can he make a box to fit a JL 12w6? Ask him, let m eknow, and if he can, i am game!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Gyoza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In for passenger side only. Also interested in a 12"...
Old 06-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
First, you may want to change your thread title because Boxology and 4080 are separate competing companies. Secondly, talk to Nick about the feasibility of what you're asking. I wanted the same thing as well. However he explained to me that it's not feasible to have subs directly facing each other as you're proposing because it will cause them to sound like crap.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:13 PM
RKT SHP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they can figure out how to make it sound right and not do what Black Betty is saying. I am down for a driver and passenger box also
Old 06-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Sena

i spoke with Nick via email in nov and it didn't seem to be a problem.
Nick asked me to remove 4080 from the heading.

I'd really like to get a symmetrical set up in the back.

Nick, can you confirm if having both will distort the quality of the bass?
Old 06-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Sena

Originally Posted by D_S_CUSTOMZ
Can he make a box to fit a JL 12w6? Ask him, let m eknow, and if he can, i am game!
Originally Posted by Gyoza
In for passenger side only. Also interested in a 12"...
12 might be ambitious due to the lack of space...
but we will wait to heasr from the man himself...
Old 06-14-2011, 07:27 PM
boxology
Former Sponsor

An enclosure for a 12 that will perform great overall with deep extension will require nearly double the airspace, double the material, would be difficult to make look stock and still retain trunk space, and would be more expensive. Impossible, no... would we make and sell enough of them to justify the time? Yes, there are small box 12's but what you gain in the 50 Hz range you sacrifice on the bottom end essentially making it a 10 on steroids without a flat response curve or acceptable Qtc for sq. Physics, with current technology you can't bend that rule.

Opposing plane subs will vary with not only which subs you choose but also with how you tune the system (what freq. they are in charge of reproducing). Will it be louder, yes. Are you getting the most sq and output out of those 2 subs, no. Would I make more money, yes. I need a better reason than making more money to do it! I know some are interested in the more custom look of dual sides but I will argue this: If you are seriously looking at doing 2 subs and spending $700 on enclosures to look custom in either the G37 coupe or G35 coupe... an experienced local custom installer should be able to build you a nice false floor setup very near that price range and you WILL get more output and sq that way. It is hard to put any blanket statements over car audio and labor charges is one of them.

The bottom line is one enclosure on the side is great and a great overall value. There isn't anything added (like an enclosure) to further seal the trunk from the cabin, you save space, and why this design has proven itself over time: boundary loading, a custom-looking grill, and a thick layup to keep the enclosure dead (no lightweight, "strong", "fancy" material that you have to add just as much weight in dynamat to deaden for sq).

I'm not here selling pixie dust. The enclosures in our lineup work great. If they didn't work great I would have been done before I even started back in 2003.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Romeo0119

I'd get this if i didnt have a zen enclosure already, and nick is right, you want sq, not some spl competition type of bass. One sub is plenty loud providing you have the right sub and amp.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:46 AM
sentra145
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i already ordered the driver side one, just watn passanger side. . im in for that
Old 06-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Dejan

As a musician and a sound engineer....bass is not directional. As a general rule, you use ONE sub, and if you have to have more than one, you keep them right next to or top of each other, never separate, and never facing each other. This is because of how sound waves propagate....you will get issues with some waves cancelling each other completely (no bass at all), some combining to create very loud bass at specific frequencies...a total mess.

Since we spend most of the time alone in our cars (which means driver's weight is on the left side of the car), ideal setup would be one enclosure, on passenger side.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:38 PM
boxology
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dejan
As a musician and a sound engineer....bass is not directional. As a general rule, you use ONE sub, and if you have to have more than one, you keep them right next to or top of each other, never separate, and never facing each other. This is because of how sound waves propagate....you will get issues with some waves cancelling each other completely (no bass at all), some combining to create very loud bass at specific frequencies...a total mess.

Since we spend most of the time alone in our cars (which means driver's weight is on the left side of the car), ideal setup would be one enclosure, on passenger side.
Thanks for your input! On the Rx8 the weight bias was proven to be better geared towards a passenger side enclosure because that specific car is prone to lift the passenger side rear wheel.

Any of you guys have input or data to support that the G37 coupe has a weight bias via. lateral G acceleration, etc. or a tendancy for rear wheel lift more on the driver or passenger side. That is a good reason to go through with our passenger side if it is proven to be the case and there is the demand to produce it. It also takes care of the guys that are dead set on both sides.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Sena

i definitely understand all the great points. i just don't like how it'll look in the trunk. i like the balanced look. but i don't think that i'm willing to sacrifice sound quality for cosmetics...

sigh...

i have a zenclosure enclosure already but i prefer the boxoly unit.

i'll have to wait and see if nick is willing to produce one before i decide on my system...
Old 06-17-2011, 04:20 PM
ooranzoo
Registered Member

What size sub will fit this enclosure? Sorry im new at this one, but love the stock look and easy setup.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:39 PM
boxology
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ooranzoo
What size sub will fit this enclosure? Sorry im new at this one, but love the stock look and easy setup.
It is made for a 10 inch sub.

Thanks,
Nick

Quick Reply: Boxology Subwoofer Enclosure - Driver + Passenger Group Buy interest???