Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Nav not worth the money

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 07:05 PM
ged1067

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Nav not worth the money

Hiya all...It's too late for me, I already have the Nav...this is for the potential G owners.

I entered "Home Depot" into the Nav...there are several around me here in south florida about less than 3 miles away. The nearest "Home Depot" the nav came up with was in Georgia just over 300 miles from the car! Same for Walmart (just experimenting) and any other store I come up with. If you have a specific address and have the patience to enter the details the Nav will get you there.

Just got a smartphone with Google Maps. All you do is say...navigate to home depot and it gives you the 3 or 4 nearest ones. And it's all free including trafic info and such. I recently got a letter from Infiniti offering me an update to my maps for about $150 (I disremember the exact amount). Google is updated DAILY and is absolutely free. The Nav system is for suckers like me!!!

GED
Old 05-07-2011, 07:32 PM
rAiN
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
When you buy a used car it could be from another region, so check on that in the navigation option!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:33 PM
jamesshifflett

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Agreed. Bought my 2011 new and elected to pass on the Navi....used the money to buy my DPE rims instead...happy with my decision!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:50 PM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
uhh... why don't you just hit the button sort by distance?
Old 05-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
This may turn out to be another nav versus no nav thread, and we’ve had this discussion many times. Rather than going over it again ad-nauseaum the search function may serve us better.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:02 PM
wzupdoc

Originally Posted by Chekov
This may turn out to be another nav versus no nav thread, and we’ve had this discussion many times. Rather than going over it again ad-nauseaum the search function may serve us better.
The search function is great if you are looking for an answer to a specific question but when you want to express an opinion - eh, not so much.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I completely disagree. I think the navi is this car is wonderful.
-There is no lag in the navigation in locating your position
-Satellite reception is always good.
-The stereo speakers are way better than any hand held GPS or phone. If you are driving on the highway blasting music, you can forget about GPS voice guidance from smart phones.
-Big screen, easy to see the map
-Detailed pictures of on ramps and freeway changes
Old 05-07-2011, 08:29 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mw09g37
uhh... why don't you just hit the button sort by distance?
This

Originally Posted by Modme
I completely disagree. I think the navi is this car is wonderful.
-There is no lag in the navigation in locating your position
-Satellite reception is always good.
-The stereo speakers are way better than any hand held GPS or phone. If you are driving on the highway blasting music, you can forget about GPS voice guidance from smart phones.
-Big screen, easy to see the map
-Detailed pictures of on ramps and freeway changes
And This.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Dont forget, without navi you cant have A2DP streaming of audio over bluetooth. Id buy the Nav just to be able to stream pandora and slacker from my phone to the radio.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:53 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I got the "S" so there was no opting out of the Navi. I like it but it has struggled to find some streets that were many years old.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by wzupdoc
The search function is great if you are looking for an answer to a specific question but when you want to express an opinion - eh, not so much.
I understand your point, but IMO it seems tiresome to continue to post the same subjects over and over again. If it’s not the nav issue it’s some of our other regulars, like regular versus premium fuel, auto versus manual tranny or coupe versus sedan. But (sigh) I guess as many members want to get their latest opinion in on these subjects there’s not much that can be done.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:21 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
me likey the 3D buildings in the map
Old 05-07-2011, 10:31 PM
LORDHAVEMURPHY
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try not being from Cali and driving to and through Los Angeles with no navi!! Let's see how that turn out!!
Old 05-07-2011, 10:31 PM
LORDHAVEMURPHY
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love my Navi!!
Old 05-07-2011, 11:11 PM
roots4x

Originally Posted by ged1067
Hiya all...It's too late for me, I already have the Nav...this is for the potential G owners.

I entered "Home Depot" into the Nav...there are several around me here in south florida about less than 3 miles away. The nearest "Home Depot" the nav came up with was in Georgia just over 300 miles from the car! Same for Walmart (just experimenting) and any other store I come up with. If you have a specific address and have the patience to enter the details the Nav will get you there.

Just got a smartphone with Google Maps. All you do is say...navigate to home depot and it gives you the 3 or 4 nearest ones. And it's all free including trafic info and such. I recently got a letter from Infiniti offering me an update to my maps for about $150 (I disremember the exact amount). Google is updated DAILY and is absolutely free. The Nav system is for suckers like me!!!

GED
I you'll notice, it does sort bydistance. The cursor just stays on the first one found. So eventually, you'll have to scroll back up to the first place on the list.

Quick Reply: Nav not worth the money