Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

A possible XM scam

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 01:34 PM
s2ktoEvo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, about the only good thing about living in NJ is we have about 50 radio stations to choose from

When they finally shutoff my xm (I wasn't paying anyway) I just found some good local stations and called it a day. The XM/Sirius programing blows anyway, they spend way to much time playing the Top 40 for whatever genre the station is. I don't need to pay for that.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Thumbs up

Well, SiriusXM called me back today, and agreed to waive the $75 early termination fee. The only negative is that I will be getting only a $19 credit from the $32 I was charged for the next quarter’s subscription in that I canceled somewhat into the month. I decided not to fuss with them over $13.

The gentleman I spoke with was actually candid when he reminded me that when my 3-year subscription on the G37 is up in December 2012 there will be an automatic 3-year renewal posted to my credit card unless I call them ahead of time to make other arrangements. As discussed in this thread, this is how they operate. He also gave me the option of purging my credit card data from their records, which I may consider after the two credits I'm now due are posted.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:03 PM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Poe408
carz,

they will not let you cancel in 5 months. if you try to deactivate the radio before hitting your 1 year mark, they will charge you $75 early termination fee. i JUST went through this a couple of days ago with them. spent about an hour on the phone with multiple supervisors. i had the same 5 months for $20 plan and was thinking exactly what you thought... i'll just cancel in 5 months. but they say if the radio is activated less than a year, there will be a $75 charge. they are thieves.
thanks for this bit of information.

so what you're saying is....i CAN cancel (after some fighting)...but if i re-activate I have to pay $75?

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I made this transaction over the phone and specifically asked that it not auto renew. I was told I could do it without auto renewing so I agreed. Silly me for taking them at their word.
I guess ill prepare myself for a fight
Old 04-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Poe408

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well... if you cancel after your 5 months, they will charge $75 to your credit card for early termination fee. however, if you pick another plan (5 month, quarterly, yearly, etc), ANY other plan, they will not charge you the $75 and you pay for however much the plan is. they just won't allow you to turn the radio off.

basically, i was forced to subscribe for another 5 months ($25 this time, not $20) to avoid the $75 early termination fee. as you can tell, 5 months + 5 months = 10 months, so in 5 months time, i will still have the same problem because i won't be past the 1 year mark. i'll have to call them again to subscribe for at least 2 more months before canceling.

thieves.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:32 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Just canceled my XM subscription yesterday before it renewed to autobilling. What a hassle, 15 mins on hold. I didn't renew with them as their rates have gone up. 5 month for $20 is over.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:33 PM
BooSa37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 180Custom
I just schemed 6 months out of them for traffic and radio... I've been bumpin to XM for like 2 yrs, didn't pay a dime yet.
How?????
Old 04-29-2011, 04:00 PM
fluxemag

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kmp
If on AMEX just call and refuse the charges. It's great AMEX is like a mad dog with places like that.

I love AMEX for that reason. I've used their chargeback services 4 times, all successful. You don't even have to call, just click on the disputed charge and click open inquiry...awesome. They immediately debit back the money and so you don't have to pay while they investigate.

On my G, for some reason they never canceled my service and I've never paid for it. I thought the trial was only 3 months.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:07 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 180Custom
I just schemed 6 months out of them for traffic and radio... I've been bumpin to XM for like 2 yrs, didn't pay a dime yet.
Yes please tell us how! I want to keep my XM without paying ridiculous prices!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:52 PM
XMMAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you know.. some of you should really be careful what you say on here. I have pridefully worked for XM and Sirius/XM for the last 6 years. It has been an amazing company and keeps food on the table for me. I am sorry some of you have had difficult situations, but there are ways to go about them. Calling us scumbags and wishing for us to go out of business isn't really fair. I take pride in my work. I have never let any of my clients down when it comes to account issues. I wish I could help all of you, bu I don't deal with general consumer accounts. As always, feel free to PM me and I will try to guide you as best as possible. I have been a member on here since the day I got my G (thanks to Sirius/XM) and I have helped many of you so far.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
It seems more than fair to me. You did try to help me and I appreciate your doing so. You weren't able to though. Not your fault personally. I gave them a second chance because you reached out and tried (unsuccessfully) to help me. But I still feel that XM Sirius customer services and business practices suck. Madoff had some honest hard working people supporting their families working for him too. It doesn't make him less of a scumbag. Look at the general consensus of what their customers on this forum have posted about their experiences with them. Not a pretty picture of your employer. And after I cancelled service the second time and asked them nicely to never ever solicit my business ever again, they callers me less than a week later to try to get me to reinstate service. I begged them to lose my number and address forever because I'll never give them another chance at my business. Yet I know Tgey won't respect my wishes to not be bothered. I'll get a call or card in the mail every month or so for the rest of my life.

You like them because they employ you. Perhaps if you start a thread about your good experiences with the company others with positive experiences will chime in to back you up. Why don't you try it and see?
Old 05-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by XMMAN
you know.. some of you should really be careful what you say on here. I have pridefully worked for XM and Sirius/XM for the last 6 years. It has been an amazing company and keeps food on the table for me. I am sorry some of you have had difficult situations, but there are ways to go about them. Calling us scumbags and wishing for us to go out of business isn't really fair. I take pride in my work. I have never let any of my clients down when it comes to account issues. I wish I could help all of you, bu I don't deal with general consumer accounts. As always, feel free to PM me and I will try to guide you as best as possible. I have been a member on here since the day I got my G (thanks to Sirius/XM) and I have helped many of you so far.
As the OP in this thread I feel compelled to respond to you. Everything I said in my posts is true. I knew nothing of a “pre-activation nor was I informed in any way obligating me to a 12-month subscription with a $75 early termination fee until the monthly charges sprung up on my credit card bill. It all seemed to be a clandestine ploy to present me with a “free” radio that was not free at all. As a business practice, it left a bad taste in my mouth.

As a loyal XM employee perhaps you can use any influence you may have to change company policy regarding this issue. I certainly have by completing your on-line survey outlining my problems with XM. Possibly if you present a copy of this thread to your customer relations department or its equivalent, some good can come from this. I invite you to PM me where I can give you my actual name and account number if that would be helpful.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:11 AM
kmp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK so I'm going to add to this again. Just this week I got the notice that my subscription to XM would auto renew next month for the same time period that I originally purchased (3 years + traffic). The bill was stated to be +$560 and some change. That's it, I checked what I paid 3 years ago and it was a $150 less than that. I called and obviously got an off-shore person and she didn't give a damn about me and my feelings that the charge was way too much. She flatly stated that they would automatically charge my AMEX next month.
Suddenly I felt empowered, I asked what were the last 4 numbers of my card and she then told me and I smiled. See it was a couple of months ago that AMEX contacted me that some tool was trying to make a purchase online with my card but didn't have the security number and that they were canceling the card and I have a new one in 24 hours. So....to get back to XM, I told here that card was no longer in effect and I now have a new card. I told her NO WAY and hung up. I'm not renewing, I only got 3 traffic alerts in 3 years (yes I know how it works too) and I'll be fine. I will still have AM/FM, the music on my DroidX, bluetooth, and GPS. I'll be putting some more money with what I save and buying a new set of tires.

I just feel better with this whole decision, I don't like be railroaded with anything. We are just starting to talk about an Audi A5 S.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Buckeye G

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
What I dont understand is if they are one company now why cant you have 1 acct with them. Ive had a Sirius acct for a littel over 5 yrs now. I had 2 radios on it till i traded my 06 sedan in and got my 08 coupe. When my 3 months free was up i called to get it added to my existing acct and was told they couldnt . I had to have one for XM and one for Sirius. I was like WTF arent you one company now?! My XM is about to auto renew so Im gonna call back and see if they have finally gotten this problem fixed if not I might cancel my service in my G and just keep my Sirius. Anyone got any insight on this?