Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Remote start

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by slickrick
Elaborate if possible...I'd like to keep both remotes.
Don't know that much about how it was installed but it was at Fields Infiniti in Glencoe Illinois. Might want to call them and speak to the service dept.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by g37xs191982
I had the viper smart start system installed in my 2010 G37xS. Works amazingly! I love the fact that i dont have to carry around an extra key fob. I can use my phone to lock/unlock and pop the truck. Or just double click the key fob and it starts up! LOVE IT!
Are you talking about the android or iphone app? If so, how is the server availability these days? They were getting pretty bad reviews on that aspect by some users.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:14 PM
g37xs191982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
Are you talking about the android or iphone app? If so, how is the server availability these days? They were getting pretty bad reviews on that aspect by some users.
I use the Iphone app. I have not had any problems with the server availability. It's more limited to the area you are in, b/c they put an AT&T GSM receiver in your car. If you have service where you park then you'll be fine, but if you in the boons your going to be SOL. I have had no problems, best $900 bucks I've spent!
Old 04-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by only4mal
They don't for sticks...but they should for manual transmissions.
Umm... ?
Old 04-05-2011, 07:02 PM
STEAMROLL9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased my G37x in August and had them install a car starter as well as hardwiring my Valentine1 to my rearview mirror and tints all around. They have guys come in from some stereo install type place once a week and they do the installs. It's my understanding that they install some module somewhere. They had a package, tints and starter for, I believe $460. I was very happy. Now that I've had it, don't think I can ever do without it(as well as the back-up camera).

Hit lock 3x's and it starts. Brake pedal turns car off instantly. Get in the car, hit start once, pause(steering wheel comes down), hit start again, good to go. When the car starts, parking lights come on and of course all doors are locked. The HVAC system turn on as well as the NAV(i can hear the bitch telling me that there is a Gail warning 25 miles from my location from in my house). Turns off after 15 minutes. Wipers don't come on until you hit the start button.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:55 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did not lose a key fob for mine.
+1. I still have both my key fobs

Originally Posted by g37xs191982
I had the viper smart start system installed in my 2010 G37xS. Works amazingly! I love the fact that i dont have to carry around an extra key fob. I can use my phone to lock/unlock and pop the truck. Or just double click the key fob and it starts up! LOVE IT!
+1. i have the Viper 5902 w/ Smart Start and I love the convience and the text messages i get when my alarm goes off.

I've had the system since September 2010 and i used to have alot of issues with the car not responding to the cammands made by the phone. It wasn't a service issue either, I live in Miami. But they have since upgraded their system and Its been working trouble free since December 2010.

Originally Posted by STEAMROLL9
I purchased my G37x in August and had them install a car starter as well as hardwiring my Valentine1 to my rearview mirror and tints all around. They have guys come in from some stereo install type place once a week and they do the installs. It's my understanding that they install some module somewhere. They had a package, tints and starter for, I believe $460. I was very happy. Now that I've had it, don't think I can ever do without it(as well as the back-up camera).

Hit lock 3x's and it starts. Brake pedal turns car off instantly. Get in the car, hit start once, pause(steering wheel comes down), hit start again, good to go. When the car starts, parking lights come on and of course all doors are locked. The HVAC system turn on as well as the NAV(i can hear the bitch telling me that there is a Gail warning 25 miles from my location from in my house). Turns off after 15 minutes. Wipers don't come on until you hit the start button.
My remote start works the same way.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:27 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by maxfinity
+1. I still have both my key fobs

+1. i have the Viper 5902 w/ Smart Start and I love the convience and the text messages i get when my alarm goes off.

OMG i love this I have the titan and i was in korea when i got a text that my alarm was going off in Canada. lol cool feature. also lets you know if your battery is going dead too
Old 04-06-2011, 11:22 AM
bitNine

Originally Posted by STEAMROLL9
i can hear the bitch telling me that there is a Gail warning 25 miles from my location from in my house
That drives me crazy. I finally had to turn it off.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:37 PM
dyingbreed

So can anyone clarify if Infiniti has an OEM starter? Or is it all aftermarket?
Old 04-06-2011, 06:18 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It is after market
Old 04-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Morrissey

Originally Posted by Morrissey
wow. my guy in the philly burbs did mine for $350.
very small, nice addition to my keychain, but hey.

he'll prolly do $400 for everyone.
I have had 8 cars done in the past 4 years, all perfect work.

FYI. They don't plant a fob in the dash for the kit I have. I believe prestige?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Morrissey
FYI. They don't plant a fob in the dash for the kit I have. I believe prestige?
I was just thinking about this. If there's an authorized fob in the dash, wouldn't anybody who crawled in be able to push the start button and drive away, whether it had been remote started or not?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:42 PM
drshamski

Originally Posted by Mudgen
I was just thinking about this. If there's an authorized fob in the dash, wouldn't anybody who crawled in be able to push the start button and drive away, whether it had been remote started or not?
Well that is what ppl worry about when saying they put a fob in a locked box...

On the other hand to recap -

1. Infiniti does not sell an OEM remote start
2. Even if you use the OEM key fob, it just means that the AFTERMARKET unit installed can be tweaked to accept a signal from the OEM fob (hitting lock 3x, etc)
3. The limitation to using the OEM intelligent key is that the range on these remotes is significantly diminished compared to aftermarket remotes.
4. There are different methods, the push button start on our cars is what complicates the issue, but in order to bypass the fact that an electronic signal must be replicated for the car to start, you either lose an intelligent key or use a module which recreates the signal the ikey puts out to get the car started. If you lose a key the key is supposed to be locked into a box which someone could theoretically break into your car and get the key in there, but it should isolate the signal to only provide the signal when the remote start calls for it, or else you would have to remove it from the box for the car to recognize that the ikey is already in the car. (Ultimately the thief would need to know he has time on his hands to employ this method, and would have to suspect the lockbox is hidden in the obvious spot under the steering wheel, most thieves want to be in the car get it started ASAP and be out, any delay can often cause a thief to abandon his quest, experienced thieves will be into your car and have it started no matter how many alarms, anti-theft devices you have on it.)

Ultimate solution is to have a two-way remote - remote sends out signal to car, car replies with signal so the remote shows you if the car is actually on or not. This feature is available with the higher end Vipers, Cliffords, etc. The other option is to use the smartphone (android, iphone, blackberry) application.

hope the above helps some people..