Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Hate stock Bose system? Post your options!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:00 AM
SmokinJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 15" sub in a box from my last car and just had it installed with an amp ofcourse and it really kicks in some deep bass that sounds really sweet!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 AM
4drScreamer

Originally Posted by vactor
i did a full install replacing the speakers and adding some REAL subs, and about 3000 watts. check it out here:

G37 Sedan MS8 full system install - DIYMA.com
Nice. Exactly the right approach!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Romeo0119

Originally Posted by vactor
i did a full install replacing the speakers and adding some REAL subs, and about 3000 watts. check it out here:

G37 Sedan MS8 full system install - DIYMA.com
Vactor, how did u make the custom baffle for the door speakers? I wanna replace mine since I already have a 10 in the trunk and to me, those door subs are useless, i could really use some mid in there.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:22 PM
shadrach06

Long post. Newbie here so take it easy on me... If this is in the wrong area or if my post is out of line please let me know and I'll move it.

I have a 2011 G37 w/Nav, Prem, etc. I'm also looking into replacing the Bose system. I love the car but I'm not overwhelmed by the audio. Right now, I only plan on doing 3 "mods"...clearbra, tint, and upgrade audio. I have the first two and I'm working on the latter. Having quality sound in the car is very important to me so I'm willing to invest in a good system. I only want to do this once. The other kicker is that I'm not willing to compromise trunk space (will need it for other things). I don't really need the whole neighborhood to know I'm coming so I'm ok with foregoing a woofer/speaker in the trunk. With that said, I don't know much about the technical aspects of amps/speakers/woofers, etc. so I'm hoping someone here can help guide me a little bit (dont' worry, I'm not trying to do an install myself...I'd pay for someone qualified to do it).

I spoke to a local installer (one of the more reputable in my area) and we discussed replacing:

The front 4" speakers with Focal K2 Slims
The front mid-bass speakers with JL Audio 8" ZR 800 CWs
The rear speakers with Focal 165 CVX
Subwoofer with a free air Focal 27 V2.
JL Audion HD Remote Bass Control
Two amps: JL Audio XD 400/4 and XD700/5...JL Audio 4AWG Dual Amp Kit 300-700W.
Audiocontrol 8 channel Line Output Converter
Stinger Pro3 2CH Audio 6ft
Stinger 18 guage wires

Dynamat Extreme, Dynaliner, and Focal Acoustical Absorption pads will be used for sound deading and to prevent rattle. Also, we are not touching the head unit or the speaker at the front of the windshield. He said something about rerouting the signal before or after (can't remember which) it reaches the Bose amp to the other amps?

Anyway, I know some of you do installs yourself and are a lot more familiar with the above products. I did my own research online and from what I can tell Focal is highly thought of as well as JL Audio. Each of the products above have good reviews. I listened to the Focals and was impressed. However, I do need to go back with a couple of my own CDs and take a listen.

I listen to mostly hip hop, R&B, gospel, and soul jazz. I'd like your opinions on whether you think this is a good set up. It's a little pricey but I'm ok with that as long as the quality is there. I just don't want to be taken advantage of. I'm a little leery about being sold something I don't need. The initial quote is in $4k - $5k range including installation, tax, etc. Is that a fair price considering the work being done and the quality of products chosen? Is the install too ambitious?

I compared their prices to what I can find on the internet. They were lower on the Focals (they are an authorized dealer so no fakes) and about even or $10 - $20 dollars lower on the others. Of course, I stuck to respectable internet sites like Crutchfield, Amazon, Sonicelectronix, etc b/c I didn't want to bother with the possibility of fakes. Any help/advice you guys can offer will be appreciated.

Last edited by shadrach06; 03-31-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:02 PM
rabbit

Answer = none. My stock system is fine. Whatever.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:13 PM
DeamonG37s

That's crazy man! U got a dart in your jugular
Old 04-01-2011, 02:50 PM
shadrach06

Originally Posted by DeamonG37s
That's crazy man! U got a dart in your jugular
Not sure who your comment is directed to. Is it in reference to my post?
Old 04-03-2011, 02:19 AM
DeamonG37s

I like u but ur crazy...
Old 04-04-2011, 09:58 AM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
anyone think its possible to fit a different sub in the place of the bose one? it doesnt have enough kick to it and im trying to avoid throwing a box in my trunk. looking at JL's
Old 04-06-2011, 08:38 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
You may get advice on here, and see a very intricate setup someone installed and decide to copy it only to find out you dislike it. Audio is very much a personal preference. I was pleased with the Bose system, and wanted just a little more low end thump because I listen to predominantly hip hop music. I added 1 jl audio 10w6v2 in a small sealed box with a jl audio 500/1 amp. This provided everything I was looking for, for a very small cost.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:30 AM
4drScreamer

Right approach for personal preference.

Shadrach that seems like a kick-a** setup you are describing. Components are top notch and price as installed (someone else's hassle) seems reasonable.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:51 PM
bitNine

Originally Posted by shadrach06
Two amps: JL Audio XD 400/4 and XD700/5...JL Audio 4AWG Dual Amp Kit 300-700W.
Why do you need 9 channels of audio? 4 Gauge also isn't enough for 1100W RMS.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:10 PM
shadrach06

Originally Posted by 4drScreamer
Shadrach that seems like a kick-a** setup you are describing. Components are top notch and price as installed (someone else's hassle) seems reasonable.
Thanks! Appreciate your opinion. I thought the price was reasonable too but just wanted to doublecheck.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:22 PM
shadrach06

Originally Posted by bitNine
Why do you need 9 channels of audio? 4 Gauge also isn't enough for 1100W RMS.
That's a good question. Unfortunately, I have no clue what your talking about...lol. As I mentioned in my post, I'm not familiar with the technical aspects of this stuff so you went right over my head. Maybe you can explain further? Also, what would you have done different?

The guys who designed and are doing the install have a very good rep in my area so I'm trusting what they're doing. They know what I'm looking to get out of the system. I chose the speakers but outside of that, I listened to their recommendations. It seemed above board.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Elitex

I ended up going with JL 10w7 in the JL pro wedge box mated with alpine pdx-m6. I am not trying to exaggerate but this thing hits harder than 2 10'' mtx subs I had before. BTW, I have a sedan. I still have enough room to put a stroller in the trunk.

Quick Reply: Hate stock Bose system? Post your options!