Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

What's wrong with the Bose sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:10 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You talking about the soundstage studio on wheels thing? Yep the coupe has it.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:53 PM
NYCMaxima

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get the best audio quality with bluetooth audio for some reason, anyobody with bt qaudio should try that.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:58 PM
ricbel
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3Pedals
agreed...i had an 08 TL and loved the stereo in that car. while i do like the stereo on my 08 G coupe, i feel that once i open the windows/sunroof at any speeds above 40-50 mph, its almost as if i have to have the radio a few bars before MAX, which i never like to do....either way, its a minuscule "problem" and it will not make me enjoy my G any less...
I think thats what most people are complaining about. But if you think about it, isn't it better that the sound can go almost to full bars before it starts to distort badly? I rather have a system that can people can turn up and not distort badly, then some systems that start to sounds horrible at the end of the volume range.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:03 AM
TheFithBeatle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my Bose system. My friends have subs and mine just sound so crisp
Old 03-27-2011, 10:44 PM
G-MENTED
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like my bose system! if you want more bass, then upgrade. the bose system isnt designed for hip hop or house. it's for all types of music.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 AM
Elvisf16

Yeah, I got my coupe back today and found it. It's the first option on the second page of the Audio Settings. This setting improves the sound 100%, in my opinion. I am actually amazed at how much better it sounds with this option selected "ON."
Old 04-04-2011, 02:25 PM
saxxml

Originally Posted by Goonz
I just sucks

once you have listened to say a dolby digital 5.0 surround sound whatever in a car, it kills anything else you will ever listen to. I experienced this on a Mercedes ML and was blown away. Yes I listen to house, trance and progressive, the sound quality was just outstanding and nothing has yet topped that..

My bose sucks on both my G35 and now G37 thus far
I have been a working musician for 40 years and know what recorded music should sound like when it's played back. The Bose system in my 37S produces an excellent soundstage with the right amount of spacing between instruments. If you're looking for 'bass in your face' wire up a few powered subs.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:51 PM
prankiRL

Im satisfied with my bose system, I persnoally love how infinitis come stock with bose.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:08 PM
LarryG

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
YouTube - Car

That's what's wrong!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Sena

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
true
the bose system is not amazing
but it is better than alot of oem systems out there
yes, you could drop a few grand and clean it up
but for most ppl, i think a sub and amp combo is suffice

that's how i'll be building my system first
maybe do a full swap after the car is built
Old 04-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Dingo6610

I think the bose sounds great. I hear a lot of the higher end percussion stuff broken out into the tweeters in the door. I keep the "optimize for driver" turned on, and I've got about 60 CD's already loaded onto the music box. They sound great. I'm a fan.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Breitling65

Originally Posted by Sena
true
the bose system is not amazing
but it is better than alot of oem systems out there
yes, you could drop a few grand and clean it up
but for most ppl, i think a sub and amp combo is suffice

that's how i'll be building my system first
maybe do a full swap after the car is built
Not better than in Lexus or Acura. Sure miht be better than Hundai
Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 PM
bitNine

I have tried to give this system more credit than it deserves, but it deserves less. It's just not good enough

1. Not loud enough with some music. It gets loud, but not loud enough. My GF's JBL system in her Tacoma goes louder.

2. Tweeters are not bright enough. I've heard tweeters made of paper that sound brighter than these tweets.

3. Increasing volume does not increase the VOLUME. It increases the amplification of specific ranges of frequencies. You can hear it mostly up top when trying to turn up something past 3/4 volume. I hear mids increase without an increase in the highs and lows. There is a line in an OEM amplifier that frequencies hit that they can't go past. Once a freq hits this maximum, and you turn the volume up more, only other lower frequencies are turned up past that line. This means that at 90% volume, you could have mid notes that overpower the bass note that was already at 100% capable freq volume when the volume was at 75%. So from 75% to 90% volume, only mids and trebles get turned up. Not the entire frequency. so at 100% volume, each frequency range is at a different volume than the recording itself. This means you are hearing your music, completely unbalanced from how the artist recorded it. Doesn't matter if it's Yani or Snoop Dogg.

4. I can't stand the majority of the bass coming from the doors, and absolutely no bass coming from the "subwoofer". In a real component stereo system (The Bose system is a component system), each component plays a specific range of frequencies, and those components overlap slightly with other components. The Bose system puts every frequency into every speaker, except they filter low frequencies from the tweeters (you have to, or they'd blow). This shows me Bose did only what they needed to for this system. The subs in the doors play far too much mid range, and the highs can't output the highs that they need to. Meanwhile the sub isn't heard and the mid range is so loud that it's overpowering the highs ans lows.

5. A high quality system, and it doesn't even have an adjustment for mid range. It is a 2 band Eq. Bass and Treble. A high quality stereo with almost no frequency adjustment. Even my old car had mid adjustments.

This system sounds pretty damn good at 50-60% volume, with most music. It just doesn't perform as well as I'd expect, or as well as OEM systems in other vehicles.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Breitling65

Bose is really Clarion, cra.y brand with smart marketing. They are bad even for home systems too, not natural sound and overprised components with fancy name Bose.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Waydog

Better sound from your Bose system in g37 sedan - iPod tweak

For the people who have to deal with having a sedan with the Bose system, give this a try:

1.Buy a Monster iCable - connector cable. No need to reply with, "oh, it's digital; all ones and zeros (binary). It's not going to make a difference." Just do it. You'll find it at Target
2. Rip one of your favorite albums in iTunes using Loss-less format.
3. Go into the settings of your iPod and enable "Sound Check." Set the "Volume Limit" to a quarter down from maximum. MOST IMPORTANT setting: Set the EQ to "flat." Yes, FLAT.
4. From the head-unit, Bose System, Notch up the bass one or two levels from the middle; notch up the treble, one from the middle
5. Play that album from you iPod.
This should give you some of the mid-base that is not present in the system.

This will peak out the crappy digital amp, which is basically a switching device to keep the power consumption down; never allowing enough current to load the speakers properly.
Don't believe me? Open the hood and look at the battery. My riding lawn mower has a bigger one...

Please reply after the minor tweak, so I don't feel like I'm imagining / exaggerating this whole thing.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with the Bose sound system?