Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

What's wrong with the Bose sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:31 AM
Brad55Li

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I prefer balance and clarity over booming bass every day.

Last edited by Brad55Li; 09-06-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:10 PM
mosspa

Among other things I'm an audio engineer (post production sound for video). When I took ownership of my G last Friday, the thing that amazed me most was the quality of the sound at medium-loud SPLs. I listen mainly to symphonic/goth metal and I was amazed at the replication of the punch of double kicks, and this is with only bass and treble control. I guess it depends on what you are looking for, but there is no way that I could rate this Bose system negatively.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Gwiz2500

I think its great. Cranks up loud and has solid distortion free bass. It's no two 12inc sub in trunk bass but its not bad all things considering...
Old 12-16-2012, 10:41 PM
monty2003
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeb2004
I added a parametric EQ in the signal path before the amps. Sounds 300% better.

Basically I boosted slightly the really low bass (the stock speakers and amps handle it very well) and boosted slightly the high highs to make it more crisp. Then I pulled out just a little from the upper midrange because those frequencies were grating on me. Everything is stock, other than the EQ. I run the head unit's bass and treb controls flat now. I've had some very expensive setups in my past cars, and this is very satisfying, albeit not "amazing". Stock system is very capable, it just needed tweeking.
would love to learn more about this since my 2009 sedan is lacking low end bass. On a related note I drove a 2012 sedan loaner and it was much better in that department.

Brian
Old 12-17-2012, 12:06 AM
ko3r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol Bose is pretty good for "stock speakers"...I have an altima 2003 limited edition with bose system...it is amazing.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:16 AM
dantris2010

It is pretty bad

If there was one word to describe the Bose system it is "lifeless". Now I'm a mostly classical and instrumental music listener.

This "audiophile" system is heavily tuned for muffled heavy bass, which does not seem to go away no matter what adjustments are being made and there aren't many to make.

It lacks in equalization adjustments as noted elsewhere and the volume adjustment is also not fine enough so I seem to constantly have to adjust it because it is either one bar too loud or too low.

The sound lacks clarity, coloring and details. The soundstage and sound projection are terrible as the stereo effect simply does not seem to exist.

For example the JBL system in my wife's Camry sounds incredible next to the Bose. Even though the Camry is clearly more noisier car, the stereo system seems to deliver even the subtlest notes with crisp bass and high notes . And the sound projection is just incredible. With no fader adjustments, the sound stage seems to exist right in front of you.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:08 AM
AZ37

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm no audiophile but all I can say is the Bose system has no kick to it. In one way there is more clarity to the system because I can pick out instruments and other parts of the music more clearly, things I have never heard in other cars or at home. Again, I have no high end systems anywhere in my life but I would love to have more energy to the sound and I'm not talking about adding tons of bass to the sound because I hate that. Nor do I just want to make it loud, the system can get loud but it's not enjoyable. I just want to "feel" the music as if I'm there in front of the band. I'm very interested in that equalizer setup MikeB did because it seems he found a relatively easy way to get that without having to do a lot of modifications to the system. Still can't believe this Bose unit only has bass and treble settings.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Supremee
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
lol sit in a 3 series. the music system in those cars are **** compared to our bose system.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Darth Kinetic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by goredcar
Actually... my wife has a TL-S and the Acura Bose is much worse than in my G coupe. High end is terrible, soundstage non existent, no punch on the bottom end. All I added to my G37 was a side pocket sub (10" Alpine type R) and it sounds great. I know an audio shop where some guy spent close to 6K on a custom system in his G37... (dyne audio etc) I listened to it and it was only marginally better than stock sound with a good sub. Just my opinion... <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
where did you install another 10"alpine? Pics. DiY instructions
Thx
Old 12-30-2013, 11:28 PM
Darth Kinetic

Originally Posted by mikeb2004
I added a parametric EQ in the signal path before the amps. Sounds 300% better.

Basically I boosted slightly the really low bass (the stock speakers and amps handle it very well) and boosted slightly the high highs to make it more crisp. Then I pulled out just a little from the upper midrange because those frequencies were grating on me. Everything is stock, other than the EQ. I run the head unit's bass and treb controls flat now. I've had some very expensive setups in my past cars, and this is very satisfying, albeit not "amazing". Stock system is very capable, it just needed tweeking.
do you have pics or a diy for this with details of your wiring? thx!!
Old 12-31-2013, 02:09 AM
goredcar
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Side Pocket Sub

Originally Posted by Darth Kinetic
where did you install another 10"alpine? Pics. DiY instructions
Thx
I used a custom made side pocket enclosure... and installed the amp down by the spare so it was out of sight. Search on 6MT
Old 12-31-2013, 09:18 PM
Darth Kinetic

Originally Posted by goredcar
I used a custom made side pocket enclosure... and installed the amp down by the spare so it was out of sight. Search on 6MT
search where? I dont see a 6mt category
Old 12-31-2013, 09:36 PM
Selcouthist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Kinetic

search where? I dont see a 6mt category
Unless I am mistaken, I think he means 6mt.net, the other Infiniti forum.

But yes, I am very curious as well. I am hoping that the user who installed the custom EQ solution responds to your query as well.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:22 AM
Darth Kinetic

Originally Posted by Selcouthist
Unless I am mistaken, I think he means 6mt.net, the other Infiniti forum.

But yes, I am very curious as well. I am hoping that the user who installed the custom EQ solution responds to your query as well.
Word..........
Old 01-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Darth Kinetic

I didnt find anything but oldncrusty threads and posts over at 6mt.com...
Looks like they dont get the action that we do here

Quick Reply: What's wrong with the Bose sound system?