Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

What's wrong with the Bose sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 01:06 AM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Breitling65
Bose is really Clarion, cra.y brand with smart marketing. They are bad even for home systems too, not natural sound and overprised components with fancy name Bose.

I completely agree with you. Expensive system with cheap materials. Sound is OK for beginners maybe, but if you really want to enjoy your music or movies at home, do not go with Bose. You know what it's said: "No highs, no lows?... It's gotta be Bose!"

I went through that when I upgraded my home theater system, Bose was immediately out of the list as their systems do not provide a good range to include clean highs and lows (I'm not a fan of crazy lows either, but want my sub to provide clean punches when needed and not a drone obnoxious sound). And it's not that I don't like Bose because other people say it sucks, I actually compared them next to other systems and realized how crappy they are. So my list was narrowed down to either Klipsch or Definitive Technologies, and went for the latter. Great sound for home acoustics.

It's interesting that my wife's Camry has a JBL system from factory and it sounds 10x better than our 'expensive' Bose counterpart. Maybe they are just focused on that frequency range...

But in reality, the Bose system is not what made me buy this car, it was its design lines, its exhaust note, its color, etc. I usually don't drive for longer than 15 or 20 minutes each way so I usually want to hear the G roar, especially after I got my HKS and Stillen intakes installed!!

And if I want to listen to music in my G, I just turn up the volume a little. There are some things in life we just have to live with, I just don't let it bother me.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:40 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I added a parametric EQ in the signal path before the amps. Sounds 300% better.

Basically I boosted slightly the really low bass (the stock speakers and amps handle it very well) and boosted slightly the high highs to make it more crisp. Then I pulled out just a little from the upper midrange because those frequencies were grating on me. Everything is stock, other than the EQ. I run the head unit's bass and treb controls flat now. I've had some very expensive setups in my past cars, and this is very satisfying, albeit not "amazing". Stock system is very capable, it just needed tweeking.

Last edited by mikeb2004; 08-26-2012 at 05:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Darth Kinetic (12-30-2013)
Old 08-26-2012, 07:02 PM
nseriessaga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose is overrated, but still good. If your judging the system based off Sirius or average quality audio feed, its not anything special, but if u are listening to 320 quality audio or wav files off a flash drive, its crystal clear. Again, if your a true audiophile who's built custom setups, u won't be blown away, but otherwise you'll enjoy the sound. Just make sure the feed is of high quality also.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:33 PM
jon23

Originally Posted by mikeb2004

Basically I boosted slightly the really low bass (the stock speakers and amps handle it very well) and boosted slightly the high highs to make it more crisp. Then I pulled out just a little from the upper midrange because those frequencies were grating on me. Everything is stock, other than the EQ. I run the head unit's bass and treb controls flat now. I've had some very expensive setups in my past cars, and this is very satisfying, albeit not "amazing". Stock system is very capable, it just needed tweeking.
^^^ I like this. Would you mind sharing the process? Maybe a DIY? Very interested in this now that someone that knows about this has worked on the existing stock system. Great job!

Originally Posted by nseriessaga
Bose is overrated, but still good. If your judging the system based off Sirius or average quality audio feed, its not anything special, but if u are listening to 320 quality audio or wav files off a flash drive, its crystal clear. Again, if your a true audiophile who's built custom setups, u won't be blown away, but otherwise you'll enjoy the sound. Just make sure the feed is of high quality also.
^^^ Also true, need a good quality source to test any setup. Sirius XM isn't all that great uh? I love the content (big Pearl Jam fan, they have their own station there), but the quality isn't what I had expected...
Old 08-27-2012, 10:24 AM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks to OP for starting this thread. I have had my 2011EX35 for over a year and a half and never realized I had Drivers Audio Stage, until I read this and turned it on. I also turned it on in my G and I like the sound better this way. I knew the G had it but I thought it was on by default.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm also interested in adding an EQ. That's all this system really needs.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:07 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Here is the deal on Bose, it usually draws uninformed people in by it's small foot print, loud decibel ability and it's name. Bose is higher end consumer and what I mean by that is you can walk into Walmart, Sears, Target, etc and get Bose stuff. It's way over priced for what you get. I even have the Bose Acoustimass 5 setup a for my fronts in my home 5.1 setup. In the store they can can crank it up and get impressive volume levels from such a small footprint. That "gee whiz" gets you to ignore the quality of sound. Once you live it with for a while you start to realize it's lacking. The rest of my home is Wharfedale so I listen to music on 5 channel stereo and it sounds MUCH better allowing the Wharf's to cover the midrange. I'm still happy with the small footprint of the Bose.

Bose used to be regarded way back when all they offered were the 901's but they have become basic consumer and certainly not audiophile like they pretend to be.

Now, we are talking car's here, they are noisy, they are far less than ideal listening environments. IMHO ... . the BOSE is quite fine for the automobile, it's plenty loud enough to overcome road noises, etc.

Would I want Bose in my Maserati, Lambo or Ferrari ..... heck no, for my Nissan, it's fine.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:24 AM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jon23
^^^ I like this. Would you mind sharing the process? Maybe a DIY? Very interested in this now that someone that knows about this has worked on the existing stock system. Great job!
Thanks, I've been running with the EQ for almost a year now. I will have to find my notes on the wiring/colors/etc and remove the trunk floor again, since everything I did is hidden under there, including the EQ itself - you can't see any trace of the mods, only hear it.
The following users liked this post:
Darth Kinetic (12-30-2013)
Old 08-27-2012, 04:33 PM
JessterCPA

I like the Bose system.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:09 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by JessterCPA
I like the Bose system.
All in all .... I do too. For what it's worth, I think the Bose system in my G sounds better than the Bose system in my M
Old 08-29-2012, 10:32 PM
drboyblue
Registered Member

Bose Sound System

I think when you are paying this much for a car, it should have a better sound system. The treble and bass are weak. The 10inch woofer in the door is a terrible place for bass sound and the tweeter and mid range hardly have any output; the sound in the back is average at best. If anything, Infiniti should have added a subwoofer or "bass module" as Bose calls it.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:00 AM
gizmo134

I tend to have a good ear for music, between some aftermarket setups and doing pro sound for work. When I got my 37, I thought the quality wasn't bad, but just that the volume was quite low. I rigged a sub in which improved the bass, but it still just wasn't very loud. I ended up adding a processor (audison bitone) and a 6 channel amp (arc audio 900.6). The stock deck has a very clean output, and switching to this setup gave me much more power, and the control to be able to set everything how I wanted. I have no issue going down the highway at 80 mph, windows down, and still being able to hear music clearly. I since upgraded speakers for show purposes, but thought the Bose ones sounded just fine. I ripped apart the stock amp, the chips are ridiculously tiny, hence they can't push much power....
Old 09-05-2012, 05:21 PM
JackM829

It's fine man. If you're playing songs from your iPod/iPhone or whatever it's fine. Those files are already compressed so it's not like you're listening to the best quality anyway.

It's loud. The bass pounds and it's fine dude.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Zydan
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds great to me, I was surprised to hear people saying bad things about it. I went from sedan to coupe this year and the coupe hits better then the Sedan and I thought the sedan was good!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 AM
htownboy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mikeb2004

Would you consider creating a DIY for this or just posting some specifics? I would like to do something like this as I don't plan on spending much on this G. I'm waiting on the next Gen which I bet is going to be sweet considering what the competition has done recently...

Quick Reply: What's wrong with the Bose sound system?