Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

What's wrong with the Bose sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:47 AM
Breitling65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duster
I'm picking up my new G tomorrow, and since I'm bored I'm reading everything in these forums to help me deal with the anticipation.

Lots of negative comments about the Bose system. What, exactly, is wrong with it that so many people don't like it? Most comments are "it sucks", which isn't very descriptive. What sucks about it?

I know I'll hear it for myself tomorrow, so I'll have my own opinion then. But in the meantime, what's the issue with the system?

--- D
Check Lexus or Acura audio to know why Bose is suck. It is actually Clarion, Bose name they got for marketing reason. Horrible, worse you could buy for anything besides headphones maybe.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:59 AM
11_xS_coupe

while i do think the bose system is pretty good, its just not what i expected. I thought i would be blown away as i am with every other aspect of the car. The stock bose system on my 2007 altima is substantially better than our G37. And that is not because of my taste, it is clearer at higher volumes, has better bass, and has higher highs, and the mid is less baffled.

I do agree a lot is about taste, and how you listen to music. But there are sound systems that are better than others. And our system is definantally good, but it is not by any means a great sound system.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:39 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The bad rap with the stereo might have something to do with all the kids that have these cars. They want a lot of bass.

I got the whole mega bass thing out of my system with my last car. I don't need a 12" sub taking up my trunk.

The worst stock stereo ever for me is still the E36 3 series.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't call myself an audiophile, but I have found differences in stereos. I cobbled together a Paradigm home system that made me wonder why I waited so long to buy a stereo.

This interest all started when I bought my Acura with the ELS system. Actually hearing all the nuances in the music blew my mind. I do prefer the ELS over the Bose, but that didn't stop me from buying the G and I love driving and listening to both. The sport rims and tires do tend to contribute a good deal of road noise which doesn't help the sound quality, but I wouldn't change a thing about the car....for now.

Last edited by Coprolite; 03-22-2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: does -> doesn't. last sentence didn't make sense.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:34 PM
3Pedals

Originally Posted by Coprolite
I don't call myself an audiophile, but I have found differences in stereos. I cobbled together a Paradigm home system that made me wonder why I waited so long to buy a stereo.

This interest all started when I bought my Acura with the ELS system. Actually hearing all the nuances in the music blew my mind. I do prefer the ELS over the Bose, but that didn't stop me from buying the G and I love driving and listening to both. The sport rims and tires do tend to contribute a good deal of road noise which does help the sound quality, but I wouldn't change a thing about the car....for now.
agreed...i had an 08 TL and loved the stereo in that car. while i do like the stereo on my 08 G coupe, i feel that once i open the windows/sunroof at any speeds above 40-50 mph, its almost as if i have to have the radio a few bars before MAX, which i never like to do....either way, its a minuscule "problem" and it will not make me enjoy my G any less...
Old 03-23-2011, 04:06 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone who is complaining about the Bose system should listen to the stock. The stock system sounds like the system in my moms 04 Hyundai accent, Just HORRIBLE. I wouldnt be able to live with that audio system. I was in a loaner today without Bose and If you think the Bose is distorted when turned up, then you wont be able to tell what song is playing in the Stock system. Personally i like the Bose and get asked all the time what type of system I have in my car. Some people find it hard to believe its not an aftermarket system. But thats all subjective. Im just glad I opted to go with the Bose over the Base.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:16 AM
Dejan

Originally Posted by koa789
Off topic, but my name is Dejan too. Kick *** lol
Whoa...where are you from?! And even further off-topic, does Koa refer to wood used in high-end guitars?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Duster

Just to come back to my original post, I've had the G for almost a week, and have been enjoying the Bose system very much. I have to agree with those who have posted, that there's nothing wrong with this system.

For those who aren't happy with it, I can only imagine that your needs are quite different from mine.

Thanks all for the comments.

--- D
Old 03-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Duster
I'm picking up my new G tomorrow, and since I'm bored I'm reading everything in these forums to help me deal with the anticipation.

Lots of negative comments about the Bose system. What, exactly, is wrong with it that so many people don't like it? Most comments are "it sucks", which isn't very descriptive. What sucks about it?

I know I'll hear it for myself tomorrow, so I'll have my own opinion then. But in the meantime, what's the issue with the system?

--- D
Not a damn thing.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 PM
blindman8858

There are several factors that you have to consider when talking about sound. An important factor is what type of media are you playing. If you are playing an mp3, the sound quality is not going to be as good because it is sampled analog audio that has been digitized and you will have losses. CD audio is a lot better and less lossy. Furthermore, if you are running off an external device via aux or ipod connection, it is not going to be as good as playing the cd directly (line loss).

Bose systems are ok. Their higher end systems are a lot better than what we get stock on our cars. The biggest beef that audiophiles have with Bose is their algorithm. I dont full understand the details but apparently they run audio through some type of digital enhancing algorithm and recreate the sound (or something to this effect) and rather than helping, people seem to feel that you actually end up with a muddier sound. I am sure Bose has its reasons for doing this.

But if you aren't happy with it, swap it out and go full custom.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:57 PM
koa789

Originally Posted by Dejan
Whoa...where are you from?! And even further off-topic, does Koa refer to wood used in high-end guitars?
I'm originally from Bosnia, but I moved to the US after the war. My dad is Bosnian and my mom Serbian. I didn't know our people were in Kuwait too lol and no on the KOA :-)
Old 03-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Dejan

Originally Posted by koa789
I'm originally from Bosnia, but I moved to the US after the war. My dad is Bosnian and my mom Serbian. I didn't know our people were in Kuwait too lol and no on the KOA :-)
Cool, I was born in Bosnia too!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:18 PM
goredcar
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Breitling65
Check Lexus or Acura audio to know why Bose is suck. It is actually Clarion, Bose name they got for marketing reason. Horrible, worse you could buy for anything besides headphones maybe.
Actually... my wife has a TL-S and the Acura Bose is much worse than in my G coupe. High end is terrible, soundstage non existent, no punch on the bottom end. All I added to my G37 was a side pocket sub (10" Alpine type R) and it sounds great. I know an audio shop where some guy spent close to 6K on a custom system in his G37... (dyne audio etc) I listened to it and it was only marginally better than stock sound with a good sub. Just my opinion... <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Old 03-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Elvisf16

Bose

I just bought a G37s coupe two weeks ago. Had to return it to the dealership today because of a problem (that's another thread), and they gave me a loaner G37 sedan. The sound in the sedan is better than in my coupe. I found a audio setting in the sedan that apparently optimizes the sound for the driver. I'm not sure if my coupe has that option--I don't remember seeing it on the bass/trebel/fader/balance screen where this one appeared. But when I get it back I am definitely going to look for that setting. It improved the sound a lot.

Even so, personally I still think Bose car audio sound is mediocre at best. Their headphones are great, but for car audio they really haven't figured it out. It's not bad enough for me to pay the $ to upgrade, but it definitely leaves a lot to be desired. My previous car was a 2007 335i coupe and the sound was much better in that car.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Duster

Originally Posted by Elvisf16
I just bought a G37s coupe two weeks ago. Had to return it to the dealership today because of a problem (that's another thread), and they gave me a loaner G37 sedan. The sound in the sedan is better than in my coupe. I found a audio setting in the sedan that apparently optimizes the sound for the driver. I'm not sure if my coupe has that option--I don't remember seeing it on the bass/trebel/fader/balance screen where this one appeared. But when I get it back I am definitely going to look for that setting. It improved the sound a lot.

Even so, personally I still think Bose car audio sound is mediocre at best. Their headphones are great, but for car audio they really haven't figured it out. It's not bad enough for me to pay the $ to upgrade, but it definitely leaves a lot to be desired. My previous car was a 2007 335i coupe and the sound was much better in that car.
That feature exists in the coupe, as you'll find when you get your car back. It does make a difference.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with the Bose sound system?