Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

What's wrong with the Bose sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:47 PM
CDONNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SRG
i dont know what other people are talking about, maybe they have defective speakers...but i have no problem with my bose sound system...I actually think it's a great sound system. I listen to all types of music on it and i enjoy it every single time. I dont know if everyone is expecting a Bang & Olufsen sound system, but my g's treble, bass and mids sound perfect enough.

Hope this helps!
Coming from a professional DJ means a lot... he knows his ish
Old 03-17-2011, 11:02 PM
s2ktoEvo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CDONNS
Coming from a professional DJ means a lot... he knows his ish
more likely he's damaged his hearing and can't tell the difference.

i don't care about booming bass, but I do about clarity and this system (and the one in my mother g35) isn't good. It's OK, better than some factory systems, but I'd rate it strictly average at best.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Eastern-G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Bose system and think it's perfectly fine (as a non-audiophile). I listen to all kinds of music and feel it's adequate for the price of the car. I don't typically blast my music for everyone on the highway to enjoy - perhaps it doesn't live up to that type of use. It seems pretty easy to swap out the radio and speakers if you want, so I wouldn't worry too much. You could probably sell the Bose system for a good deal of scratch.
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (01-16-2020)
Old 03-17-2011, 11:45 PM
glassjaw047

I definitely like the Bose system in the G Coupe I just got & I'm a BIG Audiophile! The quality of vocals is really good and its high freqz. The one thing if I had to make an addition to it would be to put in a 8 inch JL Audio W7 subwoofer to get that nice clean quality bass to it. Nothing retard loud just that nice UMPFFHHHH.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:19 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
But, what is an audiophile??
Someone that has to justify spending outrageous amounts of money on sound gear?

Funny, no one in MY business dares call themselves an audiophile, and we mix the music, TV shows, and movies you all listen to!!!

I have a Bose in my G37, and it sounds fine!!!
abrecos (01-16-2020)
Old 03-18-2011, 12:26 AM
ricbel
Registered Member

The bose sounds good to me. People complain because it's not a outstanding system. It plays clear even when I turn up the volume almost all the way. Mid bass is great from the 10" sub in the doors. I don't experience any rattles, and thats the first thing I tested because I had a maxima before, and the interior pieces would rattle when I turned it up. I do wish it was better, but its not bad either.
abrecos (01-16-2020)
Old 03-18-2011, 12:27 AM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
thats the problem you have to turn it up almost all the way to hea anything it just blows..the bose in my old maxima rocked
Old 03-18-2011, 02:05 AM
ShyAznB8oi
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Pcasey
nothing is wrong with it, just that some people who dislike it is becuz they have had better stereos in the past and they have an ear for good and bad systems. To the average person it sounds great and better than most. Again its based on a personal view or ear.

Actually my Mercedes C320 has Bose Speakers and man they are BETTER than the one in our G's..

Clarity was better.. Volume wise was BEAST! You could hear treble through my 2 12"s I was running..

But again, it's perspective..

Car Audio enthusiast = volume wise & clean vocals

Daily driver = just listens and does not bother bumping music.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:00 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
The Bose SOW is fine for what it is. It will never compare to higher-end systems, but it does hold its own. It's certainly way better than any standard setup i have heard on cars in this price-range. There's enough detail and harmonic range for my tastes. I appreciate fine audio and can hear nuances in music that your average Jane and Joe will miss, but am nowhere near an audiophile. When it comes to pricing, the SOW is not a la cart, it's part of a package that when you go into the $ comes out rather inexpensive.

As far as our application is concerned, I drive with music on, loud enough to appreciate but not too loud that i lose touch of the environment and my surroundings. This is the perfect volume level for the system. IMHO, every system has a range where it performs best. However, even at near full power i honestly do not hear any type of rattling on the vehicle -- which by the way has more to do with how the vehicle is built, not the quality of the sound system. Any type of sonic wave will eventually cause something to vibrate and rattle.

The SOW was certainly built more for SQ than SPL, and i appreciate that. Some people, mostly those who prefer "surround sound", may not appreciate the stereo qualities of the SOW, but to this set of old-school ears who prefer a nicely separated soundstage while managing to deliver above the noise levels a mobile application adds to the soundtrack (i.e. road, engine, environmental noise), the Bose SOW works just fine.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Chico

In the world of high end sound, Bose is known to be a mediocre brand. They built their reputation based on advertisement and people who don't know anything about sound but feel that just because is expensive it must be good. Their marketing stragedy in the 90s was genious. Place the Bose systems in the shelves of Sears next to the $100 speakers and make them look fancy. People were buying them because they were small and expensive. They didn't care about sound. Speakers look cool and expensive, they must be good. How can you go wrong? The Bose system in the G37 is mediocre at best.

Last edited by Chico; 03-18-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:05 AM
4drScreamer

Nothing!

(is that 8 characters?)
Old 03-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Boxer04

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
But, what is an audiophile??
Someone that has to justify spending outrageous amounts of money on sound gear?

Funny, no one in MY business dares call themselves an audiophile, and we mix the music, TV shows, and movies you all listen to!!!

I have a Bose in my G37, and it sounds fine!!!

Definition of AUDIOPHILE:
a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction

First Known Use of AUDIOPHILE

From Merriam-Webster

I think when people use the term audiophile they merely use it to describe their taste in audio. Most are usually NOT in the music or entertainment business but just regular folk who do not mind spending a premium price for premium audio.

Originally Posted by Chico
In the world of high end sound, Bose is known to be a mediocre brand. They built their reputation based on advertisement and people who don't know anything about sound but feel that just because is expensive it must be good. Their marketing stragedy in the 90s was genious. Place the Bose systems in the shelves of Sears next to the $100 speakers and make them look fancy. People were buying them because they were small and expensive. They didn't care about sound. Speakers look cool and expensive, they must be good. How can you go wrong? The Bose system in the G37 is mediocre at best.

That is true. But since we're looking into car audio i believe the G's "mediocre" Bose sound system still beats 85-90% of the other car manufacturer's stock stereos. If higher end audio companies, names i'm sure most of you have never heard of, start getting into the market of car audio for the general public then the BOSE will definitely be "mediocre." If you think about it BOSE made an even better marketing strategy getting into the luxury car business because they ARE able to beat the market average.

Other brands like Bowers & Wilkins and Bang & Olufsen offer their systems in cars similar to the G's. BOSE does have systems in Maybachs and Maseratis but our G's systems probably don't compare to them.

....I'd rather have BOSE over panasonic, sony, polk, or alpines (unless you want it louder). I already paid $xxx for it anyway. There's no need to swap them out IMO
abrecos (01-16-2020)
Old 03-18-2011, 12:54 PM
briann510

There is nothing wrong with it. If you wanted a stock top notch stereo system why the hell did you buy an Infinity?
Old 03-18-2011, 01:06 PM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The bose quality in our G's is fairly good, your not going to get loud thumping bass notes if that is what you are looking for, then just invest in an amp and a subwoofer. There are many on this site that have this sort of setup already. If you don't listen to your music loud, the sound quality is good enough. Me I personally prefer the setup, I don't tend to like the stereo's that have all the sound coming from the rear speakers, not to mention the amount of distortion either. I prefer the sound to be all around, not all from the rear, anyhow.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Duster

Originally Posted by briann510
There is nothing wrong with it. If you wanted a stock top notch stereo system why the hell did you buy an Infinity?
When did I say I wanted a stock top notch stereo system?

Quick Reply: What's wrong with the Bose sound system?