Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

What's wrong with the Bose sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 04:23 PM
axis.
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
My Prelude speakers produced much more clean bass and the car rattled less. In fact, when I installed a Sony headunit with more equalizer/bass management, I had to turn down the bass for fear I might blow the speakers. With the G, I'm trying to max out the bass in all settings and it still doesn't thump and sound as good
Old 05-21-2015, 06:15 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
While, for my tastes, I want louder low end in my car audio system, the Bose system in the G37 blows away the BMW sound systems that any of my friends own. If the recording is good, the clarity is there as well as decently solid sound throughout. There is some rattling, but that's not the fault of the sound system. Am I going to mod with aftermarket amps, sub, and door speakers? Of course, but that's me and it's what I want from the car, primarily volume. But as is, it has its flaws as all (especially factory) car audio systems can and will have; but sounds pretty damn good.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:31 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
I have no issues with it. You know when you are at a stop light and you hear someones bass so loud it's thumping with incohearant recongintion ..... the Bose won't do that. Now I'm no Bose fan boy as I have had a home system for a long time and it's not worth the money but the system in our Infiniti's doesn't "suck" as they say.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:12 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
I think it's all relative. When I was younger I would have told you the Bose system sucks but that's because I was a douche who liked his music loud and crisp (spending upwards of 3 to 5k to do so) and now I have deteriorated hearing. The fact of the matter is the Bose system is not perfect (distorted highs, light muddled bass) but it does deliver above average sound without sounding too obnoxious.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:13 AM
Flakman
Registered Member

That it does...and compared to a lot of other OEM systems, it's got some chops.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:17 AM
goredcar
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
A metaphor

For sometime George suspected that his wife was getting deaf. Being an engineer he devised an experiment . From 20 paces away he asked her what's for dinner dear. No reply ! He came closer to 10 paces and asked again what's for dinner dear. Again no reply. Finally came to five paces and asked his wife what's for dinner dear. She replied, George for the third time it's chicken! If you think that the Bose system is great you might want to have your hearing checked if you are happy with it great, but don't call out others who might want more fidelity.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:30 AM
Flakman
Registered Member

I said that it is very good compared to other OEM systems. It is not as good as I want it...yet.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:46 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by jinku
Lots of negative comments about the Bose system. What, exactly, is wrong with it that so many people don't like it? Most comments are "it sucks", which isn't very descriptive. What sucks about it?
The running joke around my office is "got no highs, got no lows, holy crap it must be Bose."

Granted, I work some sound and mixing engineers and regularly hear about the latest equipment they're using.

I like a well-defined sound stage with clarity so if you're sitting in your driveway, you can close your eyes and pick out the spatial locations of specific instruments. You won't get that with the Bose.

I live with it because I'm not sure if I'll be keeping the car long enough to justify the expense of installing the new stereo gear I picked up last summer-- amps, speakers, signal processor.