Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

What's wrong with the Bose sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Boomstryker
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pebkac
any specific app?
Yes there is a great app "EQu" that I use on my iTouch in the 2013 G37s. Available on the app store. It does require the latest ios though. It's a customizable parametric EQ that improves the freq range greatly. With this EQ app the subs come alive to where I would not have thought they had the range. It's the least expensive mod you can make to the stock Bose system and is worth the few bucks it cost. I thought I was going to need to upgrade some components but this more than improves the system. You do however need to open this app and play songs from it rather than the native music player. It does register back to the song list to the system. The only disadvantage I've seen is you need to change albums on the iTouch. You can pause and play on the NAV screen. So it's not perfect but it is worth the small inconvenience.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/equ-...403704212?mt=8
Old 04-23-2014, 07:57 AM
kelshmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since this seems to be a common thing that comes up and I haven't seen anybody mention it (although I have not read through the thousands of pages of posts). I use the bluetooth audio streaming from my phone and use the equalizer in the music player. This gives you the equalizer function for your music. I have a Galaxy S4 but I am sure other android and IOS have equalizer funtions. It greatly increased the sound quality of my bose system.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:06 PM
yesongs

I consider myself somewhat of an audiophile, and have owned many cars over the years.

My music tastes are towards Progressive Rock, (Yes, Genesis, ELP, Pink Floyd, etc)

I would say that the stock "Studio on Wheels", is a good but not a great system

Previously I have always installed aftermarket systems but the Bose systems make that problematic

My past few cars were a Honda S2000, Tiburon GT6, Maxima, and an Altima, and I would say that stock system to stock system ours is better

The Maxima had a Bose system as well and the easiest "fix" was adding and mono amp and sub in the trunk.

I have a 300w mono amp and 12" sub in the G's trunk, both JL Audio and I think with these, it sounds very good, almost as good as the rig I put in the Tiburon which was total aftermarket.

With Tiburon, you could swap the head unit and speakers easily - these days everything is tied into the head unit so more problematic

My best friend is a car collector who has about 20 high end rides - those at the beginning of the thread who mentioned the B&O in Audi A8L are spot on - that is the only stock system I've heard that was perfect as is

Lastly, not a fan of the "Drivers Soundstage" setting - the phase sounds very artificial to my ears

E
Old 08-01-2014, 10:34 AM
G37xSmke

I used to be really 'into' loud (and good sounding systems), and unfortunately still am, but after playing in a band when young, DJing in clubs and bars in my 30's, my hearing is not where it should be in my early 40's. Don't take your hearing for granted. It doesn't make much of a difference how good it sounds, beating up your eardrums is a bad idea, don't take your hearing for granted, when its gone, it's very sad. Tinitus (ringing in the ears) is also enough to drive some to suicide. No, I am not saying that people here are confusing good sound with loud sound, but for those who want to turn their cars into massive bass cabinets, remember - eardrums are delicate and so far, they haven't figured out a way to replace them. That being said, I just got my g37xS a couple weeks ago and I think the BOSE system sounds pretty decent, definitely better than many other stock stereos I have heard. I plan on putting in some better speakers at some point, but right now I am enjoying hearing the engine.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:09 PM
JT2014

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
The Kicker system in my SRT8 was really good. Had a Bose in a Acura & the G is just as craptastic as it was back then.... Sub addition should help it a lot.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:07 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Question should be what isn't wrong with Bose. They are beyond weak as a brand name system and this is already an overstatement. The Q Bose however is a night and day diff from the G Bose and this is an understatement.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:37 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 230 Posts
Has anyone replaced just the tweeters in the doors? It seems that the stock system lacks some higher end 'brilliance' for lack of a better would that could be captured with a better set of tweeters (this was a common upgrade in the 1st Gen G). The low end is easy to fix with something like an Infinity Basslink or equivalent. I've installed one of these in my last two cars and they do a pretty good job of filling in some of the missing spectrum on the low end. I'm not really sure about the tweeters though.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:05 AM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Although it sounds good, at some times I'd like it to be louder. The Bose in my Maxima just seems to be very crisp, however when it comes to the G it doesn't seem as crisp nor does it get as loud. I think it would be an easy fix to just wire up the components to an amp.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 255 Likes on 201 Posts
I'm happy with my Bose, what I'm not happy with is the door vibrating when I listen to my bass.... :/
Old 08-02-2014, 10:22 PM
BeachmanQ60
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried a little different approach with good success.......rather tahn replace anything I went ahead and Dynamatted the entire interior. It took about 6 hrs and 80 sf of DynaMat. I did the entire trunk area and lid, removed the back seat and rear side panels, removed the front seats and door panels. When it came to the doors I did as much of the inside of the door as I could reach as well as the door itself. Not only did it drastically reduce exterior noise it made the stock systgem sound incredibly better. For those that will say that DynaMat adds too much weight I only added approx 32lbs as it weighs .4lbs per sf.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:48 PM
interalian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opinions vary, here's mine:

I think the 'Studio On Wheels' in the '08 G37S is a decent system. There's plenty of bass and the imaging and high-end are just fine. That is, until you **** with the bass and treble controls. As soon as you do, all bets are off. Run it FLAT and use the VOLUME control to adjust the level. Try it for a couple of weeks and let your ears get used to the sound. Pre-adjusting the EQ using an iPod is a great way to introduce distortion into the system.

I have the Logic 7 system in my DD ('08 535xi) and it far exceeds the sound quality of the SOW. The nominally described 'subwoofers' are under the seats which helps them disappear unlike the door-mounted LF drivers in the G. As noted above, as soon as you dink with the bass/treble or other EQ settings the audio quality suffers. I sometimes use Theater or Concert Hall modes but normally that EQ is off as well.

The term 'audiophile' is bandied about in this thread and since it's all so subjective the discussion is essentially meaningless. Anybody trying to get a car stereo to sound like anything that can be achieved in a home system will spend a lot of money in a vain attempt. I run a dedicated 2 channel system at home and have sunk over $20k into components. No way I'd even bother trying that in a car.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:04 PM
amciner28

Originally Posted by monytx
Although it sounds good, at some times I'd like it to be louder. The Bose in my Maxima just seems to be very crisp, however when it comes to the G it doesn't seem as crisp nor does it get as loud. I think it would be an easy fix to just wire up the components to an amp.
This is a point that has been confusing me... I used to have a 2003 Infiniti I35 (basically a maxima) and it had a 7 speaker, 200w Bose system in it with the one subwoffer in the back. My new car (2012 G37x) has a 10 speaker, 360w Bose system in it and it is just not nearly as loud... especially the bass

Does anyone know why this would happen? The I35 had a bigger trunk but I'm not sure what else would cause it. I swear I could shake the rear view mirror off my old car with the bass and with the new car it's nowhere as close

...any thoughts?
Old 05-18-2015, 02:26 PM
goredcar
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
The shallow excursion "subs" in the doors are pretty much useless for deep base. I added a side pocket Alpine 10" sub in the trunk with a 600w amp stealth mounted by the spare and the system is great.
Attached Thumbnails What's wrong with the Bose sound system?-sub-install.jpg  
Old 05-18-2015, 05:14 PM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
But, what is an audiophile??
Someone that has to justify spending outrageous amounts of money on sound gear?

Funny, no one in MY business dares call themselves an audiophile, and we mix the music, TV shows, and movies you all listen to!!!

I have a Bose in my G37, and it sounds fine!!!
^^^ +1 to this!

I'm a recording engineer, and can hone in on specific details and frequencies if I wanted to, but I think it's a pretty well balanced system that lets you enjoy what's recorded!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:03 PM
goredcar
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer
^^^ +1 to this!

I'm a recording engineer, and can hone in on specific details and frequencies if I wanted to, but I think it's a pretty well balanced system that lets you enjoy what's recorded!
Agreed... I have designed and built high end audio gear. Our joke used to be that that they were really audiofools. When your investment in equipment exceeds your investment in your music collection, it is a clear indication you have crossed over from a music lover to an equipment lover. Of course the Dyne audio and Focal enthusiasts don't want to hear that. Car audio has a number of inherent weaknesses, not the least of which is high ambient noise. So the pursuit of perfect soundstage in a car is a futile one.

I have modified my stock system, but the Bose system in my Infinity G37 beats the heck out of the one in my wife's Acura TL.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with the Bose sound system?