Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Android Phonebook to '09 G37 - Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Sunstealer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Android Phonebook to '09 G37 - Finally!

I have seen several messages on here regarding issues transferring the phonebook entries from an Android-based phone to the earlier G37s. When I got my Droid X last year, I tried everything and never got it to work. I rarely talk on the phone though, so it wasn't a big deal to me.

My wife is now the primary driver of our G37 and recently switched from a Blackberry to a Droid Pro. She talks on the phone constantly and really wanted to get the phonebook working properly. I tried it again tonight and finally have a procedure that works. I thought I would share it in case it might help someone else.

Go to the Marketplace on the phone and download "Bluetooth File Transfer", it is a free app. Go to Setting on the car, select Phone, and get to the point where it is waiting for the phonebook to download. At that point, open the Bluetooth File Transfer app on the phone, hit the Application button, then More, and then Send Contacts. Click the star beside All to select all the contacts and then push the button to Send As Single.

It took about 30 seconds to download all her contacts. As far as we can tell, they are all now in there.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:45 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunstealer
I have seen several messages on here regarding issues transferring the phonebook entries from an Android-based phone to the earlier G37s. When I got my Droid X last year, I tried everything and never got it to work. I rarely talk on the phone though, so it wasn't a big deal to me.

My wife is now the primary driver of our G37 and recently switched from a Blackberry to a Droid Pro. She talks on the phone constantly and really wanted to get the phonebook working properly. I tried it again tonight and finally have a procedure that works. I thought I would share it in case it might help someone else.

Go to the Marketplace on the phone and download "Bluetooth File Transfer", it is a free app. Go to Setting on the car, select Phone, and get to the point where it is waiting for the phonebook to download. At that point, open the Bluetooth File Transfer app on the phone, hit the Application button, then More, and then Send Contacts. Click the star beside All to select all the contacts and then push the button to Send As Single.

It took about 30 seconds to download all her contacts. As far as we can tell, they are all now in there.

I actually got this to work today also, but was not sure how it worked this time vs all other posts that had issues. Now that you have posted this it makes sense as to why hahaha. That Bluetooth fle transfer app. I found some entries not transferred correctly though. Thanks for the explanation!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:51 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Oh, I did this on my phone after setting the car to accept a file transfer of the phone book. Update: the app I have is called bluetooth share

using adroid 2.2 with tmobile G2, with BT enabled, discoverable, paired with the car.

1. Select phone
2. select contacts tab
3. select menu button
4. from the menu select import/export
5. then from the list select "share visible contacts"
6. then complete action using.. bluetooth

Last edited by cereal2k; 02-25-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:35 PM
emcd4

Another secret if some of your contacts don't transfer is:

In the send contacts settings, turn off picture transfer if some of your contacts have pictures associated with them.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:41 PM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Great, great, great share! Thanks.
Costs $.99 on iPhone, but with Installous there is a program called Bluetooth Communicator which will work also. Tried last night and fail...

Last edited by breftayka; 03-11-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:34 PM
kmp

So I was tickled to see that we could do this and I transferred some of my contacts, but, they came is as a "downloaded phonebook" and when the car is under power it's not available. It becomes enabled when I stop. I guess I'm going to need some kind of bypass. but
Old 03-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Jmac1315

I downloaded the Bluetooth File Transfer App...but no Application button available. Any suggestions?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:38 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by kmp
So I was tickled to see that we could do this and I transferred some of my contacts, but, they came is as a "downloaded phonebook" and when the car is under power it's not available. It becomes enabled when I stop. I guess I'm going to need some kind of bypass. but
what year G do you have?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:43 PM
jjgi5150

Well,

I DL'ed the BT FT app, and it finally started loading the phonebook...I think...It is still at it and has been for over 20 minutes...Not sureif it is actually working....

Fingers crosssed...

JJ
Old 06-29-2011, 10:32 PM
gandules

Great share!! Worked like a charm. Thanks again.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:22 AM
kmp

Soo sorry for the absence and slow reply. I've got an '08 G37 Coupe, Journey with "all" options. I ordered it that way.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:05 AM
jjgi5150

Hi all,

Well, I got my phonebook loaded, but it WOULD NOT go into the phonebook section in the car system. I was only able to get it to load into the call download. My original attempts as described above did not work. The phone connection to the car kept on stopping, or ran in an endless loop and nothing was loading.

I had to load the phone contacts onto the SD card in my EVO 4G, and then I was able to do the transfer. However, the only place the transfer seemed to be able to go to in the car was the Call Download directory.

This is at least better than nothing. I can go to the call download menu and and manually click up or down iwth the thumb selector on the steering wheel and then click in the name and make the call that way. The bluetooth connection seems to be fine. In fact, it's much better than using the speaker on the phone.

I'm still working on how to transfer all the downloaded contacts, 282 of them, to the phonebook so I can use the voice call command.

It was much easier in my new 2010 F150 FX4 with SYNC. That system is just fantastic. Also, the EVO held the two identities for the BT connection, SYNC for the F150 and MY-CAR for the G37S. I drove the F150 to dinner last night and it was flawless, so I guess, at least for now, there are no conflict issues with having both profiles on the EVO...

I'm open for any good ideas anyone may have on this...

TIA,

JJ
Old 07-04-2011, 06:10 PM
6long

I'm using a samsung vibrant on froyo 2.2. With my 2010 G37, it would sometimes disconnect and run a debugging process named bluetoothd that runs my CPU at 100% and drains the battery. Has anyone experienced something like this?

I've noticed that sometimes when I call or receive calls, I would sometimes have the contact name displayed and sometimes just the number. Would dling these apps from the market solve that?

Thanks
Old 07-04-2011, 06:42 PM
jjgi5150

Hi all,

Well, So much for a good idea....

In my previous post I was able to download all my EVO's phone entreis to the call download section of the car's system. I tested it out in the garage of my home and I was able to call my numbers using the highlight and select switch on the sterring wheel. It worked very well and the BT connection was great.

HOWEVER, while driving today I made the disappointing discovery that the calls will only work when the vehicle is not in motion, as others have indicated. There has to be a way to fix this mess. Since some people have been able to get theit contacts into thier phone books. I certainly hope that IF I am able to move the contact list,,,,big IF, I know,,,,that the calls will then work with voice command when the car is moving...

Any ideas you computer and phone guys???

TIA,

JJ

Last edited by jjgi5150; 07-04-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Legz
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It worked great! w/ Andriod 2.3.3 htc desire hd. +100000000

Quick Reply: Android Phonebook to '09 G37 - Finally!