Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

I'm hating the Bose right now. Seriously

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 02:03 PM
soleil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bitNine
People with a lack of depth in car stereo knowledge, always refer to wattage like it's what makes or breaks a system. Like 4kw is what makes a stereo system good. Wattage has nothing to do with sound clarity and overall balanced sound. That comes from an amplifier that uses high quality components, and an installer competent enough to know how to correctly tune the amp to the speakers installed.

There's a reason why door speakers are not supposed to produce the entire frequency range like they do. Because that's what makes them sound "muddy". When a mid-range speaker is playing a 120Hz bass note, it can't hit a mid note (~400Hz) with the same clarity as if that 120Hz note had been stripped from the signal with a crossover. A good component stereo system should have mid range speakers playing ONLY mid-range notes. Anything below about 200Hz (depending on subwoofer size and box type), is not mid-range, and should be produced by a subwoofer. From my analysis of this stereo, there is no frequency filtering (crossovers) except in the subwoofer amp, and inline passive crossovers to the tweeters. The lack of frequency filtering to the mid-range speakers, will make the mids sound like crap.

I install professional car stereos on the side. I've been doing it for people since before I was legally allowed to drive (almost 17 years). I've replaced every POS stock stereo from Bose to JBL to Rockford Fosgate. Even replaced the Bose stereo in my Boss' Z06 Vette shortly after he bought it. It was the same awful setup of putting a 10" PAPER SUBWOOFER (not a high quality polypropylene mid-range woofer) in the door. I even used to help a few people prepare for IASCA competitions back in the late 90's.

For those of you that aren't audiophiles, you won't notice how horrible the Bose system sounds compared to a properly installed and tuned system set up by someone who knows what they are doing, and that uses high quality equipment. For someone like me who does nothing but listen to high quality audio systems all the time, listening to this Bose system in the G37 is just disappointing and needs a replacement. I've already started choosing components for when I replace this one, and I've only had the car for 9 days. To each his own, but I need more than this.

/rant
thank you!!!! i've had the car for less than 4 days and have already spoke to my installer ( i'm a manager at a car/audio shop) and we're tearing out the bose system and completely changing out everything except for the headunit.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:18 PM
bleu ardoise
Registered Member

Originally Posted by soleil
thank you!!!! i've had the car for less than 4 days and have already spoke to my installer ( i'm a manager at a car/audio shop) and we're tearing out the bose system and completely changing out everything except for the headunit.
Keep us posted with what you install, I've had my car for 2 weeks now and coming from a couple previous Nissan Maximas' (09/11) and G35 (07) I have to admit this is the worst Bose system I've ever listened too. Generally I've been happy with Bose in the past but this system is horrible....
Old 01-05-2012, 04:28 AM
cyberBeach

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jadex153
... the Bose systems for 2 door cars is just very driver focused...
And they should be focused on what? The guy in the trunk?

The people on the sidewalk? Okay, that I can understand - along with your hydraulic car bouncer and undercarriage black-light fluorescents, you want to shake the teeth of the chicks waiting in lines at the bars as you drive by...

Yeah, I guess Infiniti stock isn't known for that... I think starting with a '72 Eldorado is step 1...

Seriously, I think you got a problem unit - I like it loud too, but in my 2011 G37 vert even top down, with the bass at 3/4's, the volume at 60% + will shake the driver's and front seat passenger's bodies pretty well, beyond that starts the glass and aluminum parts resonating (along with any fillings and sunglasses).
Old 01-06-2012, 12:44 AM
xtremeroller

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MyocyteX
Are you the guy that speeds through my apartment complex blasting douchey girl music? We hear you. You're Bose is working fine...
Old 03-10-2012, 10:01 AM
themajesticking

I should not have to turn up the gain on all of the music on my ipod. The amp just sucks so bad but I'm sure the speakers are not bad
Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 PM
RV750

not good

I have had my 2012 G37 sedan for two weeks and the "premium" Bose is far worse in sound quality than the standard system that was in my previous 2010 G37. Horrible clarity, muddy bass,and rotten treble. Overall, a sound sytems not worthy of a Yugo. Dont waste your money on the premium package unless they change the Bose out for a transistor radio duct taped to the dash.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:56 PM
RV750

I couldnt agree more and you on point in your technical breakdown. Its a shame Infiniti used such garbage. I refuse to spend money on a replacement though.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:19 AM
redfoster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a fine system for most people, I prefer clarity myself but rather than gripe about it I installed a Hertz/Audison setup that makes me completely happy everyday I drive. Although louder than the factory Bose I actually listen to it at lower volumes most of the time because it's clear enough I don't have to turn it up.

Sure I'm disappointed that a premium car like Infiniti has what I think is a sound system that isn't at the same level as the rest of the car. It feels like they are throwing more speakers at us rather than better speakers (I've actually reduced the speaker count from 11 to 8 and have a much more satisfying system).

But there are enough of these threads to choke any sound system. Listen to it on the lot (both base and premium) and if you're not happy but still want the car just accept it or put something aftermarket in. Done.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Sunny's G37
Registered Member

I like mine on my '09 coupe ... Had a G35 coupe before this and my major problem with that system was that the bass from the back 6x9's was too over-powering.
With the G37 i think they rectified the problem and now the sound is more on front stage and the little punch from rear compliments the music perfectly.
One thing i always recommend everyone is that don't keep your Bass and Treble all the way up. It's an electronic inbuilt equalizer and it just doesn't work like the aftermarket ones. Try keeping it like 3 points down at the least and maybe you will start appreciating the crystal clear vocals !!!
But again ... Thats my opinion !!
Old 04-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by MyocyteX
Are you the guy that speeds through my apartment complex blasting douchey girl music? We hear you. You're Bose is working fine...

No kidding the Bose is plently loud and this is coming from a guy who is hard of hearing due to my growing up in the 80's as a head banger playing in bands.

Oh and refer to my post it this other BS thread................

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...se-system.html

Last edited by Tazicon; 04-03-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazicon
No kidding the Bose is plently loud and this is coming from a guy who is hard of hearing due to my growing up in the 80's as a head banger playing in bands.

Oh and refer to my other BS post in this thread................

Appropriately fixed.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:27 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazicon

Oh and refer to my post it this other BS thread................

That other thread was a waste of internet bandwidth. The Bose sounds pretty good, especially if you play a music DVD through it. I'm not saying it's the best, but I have no desire to rip out the system and replace it with anything else. It's good enough.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:15 PM
themajesticking

I don't what some of your definitions of "loud" is, but the BOSE sounds like crap. I have owned lots of cars and I have replaced lots of speakers and receivers. My wife's 2012 Altima without BOSE sounds wayyyy better than my premium 2012 G37xS sedan
Old 04-04-2012, 01:17 PM
themajesticking

Oh and by the way. when I posted this thread, I had a 2008 G37 coupe. My new 2012 sedan is just as bad
Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 PM
pdpMIATA

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i think it varies per car. hopped into my friends 2011 coupe and it sounded like crap. Mine happens to sound better all around.
made me shrug when i was in his car

Quick Reply: I'm hating the Bose right now. Seriously