Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

I'm hating the Bose right now. Seriously

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Neiklot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW 75%?? I've never passed 50% on mine and that's plenty loud. I'm typically at around 5 or 6 bars on the volume setup and that's WITH the windows down driving 70 on the highway...check for bad speakers or maybe check your hearing man :|
Old 02-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Jadex153

I am a bit of a sound system junkie, granted and I will say that the 11 speaker Bose is impressive. Sadly, my conclusion is that all of the power is in the front with minimal power diverted to the back. The speakers are not at fault. The amp and the equalizer are the source of the problem. Seriously, if you adjust your fade to divert all power to the back, it will be the weakest sound you've ever heard. The ticket to this dilemma is to get more juice flowing to the back half of the cockpit. Do that, and all of these issues will start to diminish. The tricky part about that, however, is getting equal power to the back without experiencing a power drop off in the front. That may call for running a separate amp to the back with its own external equalizer. The next solution is to just tear out the Bose and replace it with all aftermarket speakers.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
You may have a dud system. Try this. Go to another infiniti dealership and ask to sit in a car with the bose system. See if the sound level will do teh same thing.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 AM
Jadex153

My only option is the Nissan dealership, but that would probably work.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:02 PM
bitNine

I just bought a 2011 G37 a few days ago, and being an audiophile, this Bose system is simply awful. Don't get me wrong. It sounds great, and has a pretty decent volume level. However, it does not have good system balance from front to rear. A good system with a subwoofer should provide enough bass to feel it throughout the car. I only feel bass from the front speakers, which means that 90% of my audio experience is coming from the door speakers, which cannot reproduce lower frequencies like a sub can, and like it should. Therefore the bass is muddy, and you don't actually get any good feel/sound from the sub. If you fade to the rear, it sounds far better, but then doesn't get loud enough.

Part of the problem is that this system doesn't have a subwoofer control. You cannot control the level of bass directly from the sub. Turning up the bass, brings more awful bass from the door speakers. The balance is also off, and the crossovers (if there even are any) are not properly tuned and are letting too much bass into the door speakers.

The system in this car simply does not reproduce audio like a quality aftermarket setup would. But then again, I bought this car expecting that I was receiving a POS stereo because it has the name Bose on it. My experience with Bose over the years is that their stuff sounds great, but only at moderate volumes. If you want it louder, go with something else.

I compared the stereo to my girlfriend's JBL audio system in her 2010 Tacoma, and hers sounds far better at high volume, than the Bose system. Her sub also produces the majority of the bass, not the door speakers.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Tainui

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are a bunch of these threads. The Bloze is too quiet all the way around.

But on a separate note, the exhaust sound from my Fast intentions is just right. :-)
Old 02-21-2011, 12:20 PM
4drScreamer

The best solution to your situation is to go with an amplifier upgrade. The base power of the Bose system is insufficient for what you are looking for. This is somewhat typical for mass production vehicles. They are trying to satisfy the majority of listeners. In order to get a "fuller" sound hound need more power pushing through the speakers. Not just volume but power. If you take a 1000 watt amplifier and compared it to a 400 watt amplifier, the sound is deeper, richer and clearer. Mostly because you aren't cranking it up to where're the sound distortion breaks up the music.

First issue: take to Infiniti/Nissan and have them check the system. Especially the rear speaker. It sounds like it's blown.
Second: if that doesn't do it, take it to a reputable audio shop and discuss amplifiers with installation. This should be the solution
Third: if the sound qualify isn't there for you, then go back to audio shop and upgrade speakers that fit your listening style.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:23 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Wow. What is it with people hating on Bose? Audiophile or not, I think they sound good. I have Bose speakers on my home stereo, my computer and in my car and I happen to like them. If I crank the car radio past 70% or so it hurts my ears. So either my hearing is superb, or yours sucks. (my hearing is normal)

Don't like yours? Take them out and put what you like in.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Altie

I thought the Bose system sounds pretty decent. Depending on your seating position, you might need to fade the audio further to the rear. When listening to music I like to hear a good mix of treble and bass, even though I have a dual 12" pushed by a 1600w amp, the treble seems to always be louder (of course if I turn it up the volume to hear the bass, noise are introduced and rattle begins), so I fade the sounds toward the back 1-2 notch and I can hear the good mix of treble and bass.

Do you have a woofer? Did you possibly tapped into the wrong wires thus limiting your speakers full potential? (This actually happened to me, might of been rush job or the info I found were just wrong.)
Old 02-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Gazan37
Banned

If your plugging your ipod in it wont be loud at all...even cds aren't amazing.

If you have an older model (08-09) with premium pkg. Plug in your phone (tested on Evo 4g) into the aux and turn up the phone volume to full. It will make a huge difference

the bass will BOOM and the trebles wont be drowned out. and the whole system overall will be much louder. I listen to my music very loud and with the volume half way your worried if u go louder either your ears or the speakers will blow!

Good luck
Old 02-21-2011, 03:50 PM
SpartanG37S

I know some of this is subjective, but if you think the Bose system in the G sounds bad, I wonder what sounds good to you??? I hear people say "oh man Bose blows" then say something along the lines of "man the Shaker system in my Mustang sounded so much better". I have a decently trained ear. The Bose system in the G sounds fine. Have I heard better? Of course. But I don't think the G sounds like AM radio/32kbps sound.

I think you guys are really exaggerating. A LOT.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Tainui

Wife's Range Rover has totally clean crisp sound and an audible and adjustable woofer in the trunk. Everything controlled through the factory NAV and is as it should be.

I have Bose surround in my house and it's great. Bose is not about Bass and neither am I. In the G the Bose falls flat and the bass disappears entirely. It's just wrong.

on the iPhone with the EQ setting it is better but overall just blah.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Gobbler Man

There are a couple of settings to "play" around with. There is the setting that adjust the volume depending on the speed. You might want to make sure that this option is turned off. I find that when I slow down off the interstate, the volume gets turned down too much.

The other option is the driver side focus setting. This is the one where it adjust for optimal listening for the driver. Play around with this and see if that does not help.

I like the sound from the radio in my G. It is better than any car that I have had prior. It handles my Heavy Metal just fine without a lot of pop and hiss. That is hard for most car radios to do.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Razorshock

Originally Posted by s2ktoEvo
It's plenty loud, I just think the sound is "muddy"
I have to agree. I was a little disappointed. Its not *bad*, but I was expecting a better system than the BOSE system that came with my (now wife's) Mazda CX7. I am glad that I read this thread as I'm going to try fading a bit to the rear. I'd be willing to trade off some loudness for better quality...
Old 02-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Jadex153

I have an apointment tomorrow morning with the Infiniti dealership in Charleston, SC. The fellow that I spoke with on the phone seemed to have an idea about what was going on, so fingers crossed. Hopefully, by tomorrow night we'll have some answers.

Quick Reply: I'm hating the Bose right now. Seriously