Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

2011 G37 - iPod integration - My Experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:19 AM
evilpanda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the 4thgen iTouch and it works perfectly on my non-nav system.

the gripe everyone's talking about I got used to it. once you get the hang of it, its not that bad.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:14 PM
aerospaced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hyekid10
Quick question, your 2011 g37 has USB connection or a different specific cord for the ipod? .. i just got a 2011 g37xs coupe and when i plug in my usb cord and my ipod, the nav displays "check usb or ipod"

Umm anyone have this issue?
Had same issue with my 2011 g37x sedan. Ipod usb interface now works great after I updated the ipod firmware per the recommendations in the owners manual.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:30 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by aerospaced
Had same issue with my 2011 g37x sedan. Ipod usb interface now works great after I updated the ipod firmware per the recommendations in the owners manual.

My 1st Gen Nano was working great, I got the call-waiting update and it stopped working. I got another update (I think they messed up the initial call-waiting update) and now it works with the original Apple USB cable.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:42 PM
G37xs21

I had the same issue. how do you do the ipod update?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:16 PM
aerospaced

Just check what version firmware is on your Ipod to see if it matches what the inifinit owners manual specifies. The compatible version of the firmware depends on the type of ipod you have. I saw that the firmware on my ipod was not the version specified in the manual. So I connected it to my pc, launched itunes and updated the firmware. Ipod thru USB worked perfectly afterward - in fact I can scroll thru songs faster now than I could in my previous 08 G37X.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:46 PM
G37xs21

Just check what version firmware is on your Ipod to see if it matches what the inifinit owners manual specifies. The compatible version of the firmware depends on the type of ipod you have. I saw that the firmware on my ipod was not the version specified in the manual. So I connected it to my pc, launched itunes and updated the firmware. Ipod thru USB worked perfectly afterward - in fact I can scroll thru songs faster now than I could in my previous 08 G37X.
I think I have the 2nd gen nano.ill check the manual.thanks
Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Slothy420

It sounds like the nano, regardless of which generation, doesn't have any comparability problems. I have a 2011 g37s (premium w/out nav) and I have been looking for a way to keep more music in my car without carrying around a bunch of cd's. I need at least 8gb of storage (preferably more), but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. Will certain generations of the IPod Classic work better than others, or should I just be looking for a used nano?
Old 04-17-2011, 04:09 PM
aerospaced

Firmware update - 2nd gen nano

Originally Posted by G37xs21
I think I have the 2nd gen nano.ill check the manual.thanks

I also have a 2nd gen nano which worked great in my previous 08 G35x bose w/o nav. When I connected to my 2011 G37X bose I got same error message as you. I was really disappointed as I couldnt get my Ipod to work in my new car and I found out there were no longer aux input jacks for my HD radio and streaming pandora on my Blackberry. Couldnt believe it. Anyway I fixed both issues - connected an aux input betweeen XM tuner and headunit and updated firmware on nano. I am now back to the features I enjoyed my previous 08 G35X. Hope the firmware update works for you.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:44 PM
G37xs21

I also have a 2nd gen nano which worked great in my previous 08 G35x bose w/o nav. When I connected to my 2011 G37X bose I got same error message as you. I was really disappointed as I couldnt get my Ipod to work in my new car and I found out there were no longer aux input jacks for my HD radio and streaming pandora on my Blackberry. Couldnt believe it. Anyway I fixed both issues - connected an aux input betweeen XM tuner and headunit and updated firmware on nano. I am now back to the features I enjoyed my previous 08 G35X. Hope the firmware update works for you.
im still having issues with getting the ipod to play.i tried hooking it up to the computer to do the firmware upgrade but I didnt have any luck.the manual says it accepts version 1.1 for the 2nd gen nano and when I went on itunes thats the version it said I currently have. I even did the reset for the nano thru itunes and nothing worked. i still get the error message saying check usb or ipod.is there a website to do the firmware update or how do I do it thru itunes? help
Old 04-18-2011, 10:50 PM
MistAminER112
Premier Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ViPaDawG
Those who have lag with the Classic iPod and not the Touch is most likely because of the fact that the classic users a Hard drive w/ buffer, whereas the Touch and Nano are flash based, so there's no need to spin it up to skip around.
+1

This is the difference between the Classics/Old Video/Photo Ipods and the newer Touches and Nano's, the Touch and Nano's are FLASH memory based so it works off of a microchip (essentially) while the Old-Skool ipods have spinning disks (basically hard drives) which take longer to move around the stored media files
Old 04-19-2011, 09:44 PM
aerospaced

Originally Posted by G37xs21
im still having issues with getting the ipod to play.i tried hooking it up to the computer to do the firmware upgrade but I didnt have any luck.the manual says it accepts version 1.1 for the 2nd gen nano and when I went on itunes thats the version it said I currently have. I even did the reset for the nano thru itunes and nothing worked. i still get the error message saying check usb or ipod.is there a website to do the firmware update or how do I do it thru itunes? help
After further investigation it turns out that I have a 1st generation nano and not 2nd generation - sorry for the confusion (they look nearly the same). I downloaded the latest version of itunes - as soon as I plugged in my nano to the PC, itunes automatically recognized that the firmware was outdated on my nano and asked if I want to update to latest version. After I updated the firmware to ver 1.3.1 my 1st gen nano works great in car.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:04 PM
DriveTime
Registered Member

I have a 2011 G25 Journey an my 2nd generation Nano works perfectly. I'm thinking of getting a 4th gen ipod Touch but had a couple of questions first.

1. What I really want to do is to play my offline Spotify music. This would be synced to the Touch. Is it possible to play music from other apps on the Touch, or will it only play music in playlists in the native Touch music app?

2. Can you play podcasts? I believe these are synced with the native music app so I'm guessing they just show up as a playlist which could be selected.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:55 PM
kendogglhk

The ipod nano has no lag, it works great on my car!
Old 12-16-2011, 02:49 PM
diverdan

I'm using a retired iPhone 3GS (32Gb) with iOS 5.01 with no issues. You just have to leave it in airplane mode so that it doesn't run down the battery (in the phone), if you leave it for a few days.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I have never pluged my Ipod into the G because of the hard drive so I am curious, can you play music videos and movies/tv shows etc off your Ipod?

Quick Reply: 2011 G37 - iPod integration - My Experience