Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Iphone 4 G37 integration

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:51 PM
cdebnil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iphone 4 G37 integration

Finally got around to creating and uploading a video showing the capabilities and versatility of an Iphone 4 connected to my car's video system. If you want to do this you need to jailbreak your Iphone 4 and download displayout from Cydia. Also you need the Apple OEM composite video cable available at the Apple store. For my mount I used a proclip G37 mount and an Arkon universal smartphone mount. To charge the phone while its connected you need a AC/DC converter connected to the Apple Video cable. Apps I demonstrated: GPS using ALK Technologies Copilot Live, Live TV using Slingbox Player, Stocks using Istockmanager, G force meter using Dynolicious.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RiYyEl6myoY" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Last edited by cdebnil; 01-23-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:26 PM
qwerty0092
Registered Member

interesting i see you have a nonn nav. does this work the same wtih a nav model?
Old 01-23-2011, 05:28 PM
cdebnil

Originally Posted by qwerty0092
interesting. is this on the nav or non nav model or does it not matter?
I'm guessing the nav model also has the component video input in the center console? If so then yeah, this is possible. Keep in mind that this isn't using the factory Ipod connector...This is using an Apple video connector, connected to the composite video input in my center console.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:29 PM
qwerty0092
Registered Member

and its just connected through the usb? because i thought that didn't support up to the iphone 4?
Old 01-23-2011, 05:30 PM
cdebnil

and its just connected through the usb? because i thought that didn't support up to the iphone 4?
nope, 2008 G37 didn't have USB support.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:22 PM
GeeeeOhhhh
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
awesome job!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 PM
punkajay

Thanks for demonstrating this cdebnil.

Looks very interesting. The only downside to me seems to be the number of cables you need to hook up. Especially with the way the composites are in the back. Might be nice to pull out the center console and hide the wires there?

Originally Posted by cdebnil
Finally got around to creating and uploading a video showing the capabilities and versatility of an Iphone 4 connected to my car's video system. If you want to do this you need to jailbreak your Iphone 4 and download displayout from Cydia. Also you need the Apple OEM composite video cable available at the Apple store. For my mount I used a proclip G37 mount and an Arkon universal smartphone mount. To charge the phone while its connected you need a AC/DC converter connected to the Apple Video cable. Apps I demonstrated: GPS using ALK Technologies Copilot Live, Live TV using Slingbox Player, Stocks using Istockmanager, G force meter using Dynolicious.

<IFRAME class=youtube-player title="YouTube video player" height=390 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RiYyEl6myoY" frameBorder=0 width=480 type="text/html" allowFullScreen></IFRAME>
Old 01-23-2011, 06:31 PM
cdebnil

Originally Posted by punkajay
Thanks for demonstrating this cdebnil.

Looks very interesting. The only downside to me seems to be the number of cables you need to hook up. Especially with the way the composites are in the back. Might be nice to pull out the center console and hide the wires there?

Right now, It's just one visible wire to my iphone 4. Everything else is hidden in the center console. Its the same as far as visible wires as the stock iphone connector.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:57 PM
qwerty0092
Registered Member

Ok, so its connected through the composite video input? nub question: where and what is that?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:59 PM
cdebnil

Ok, so its connected through the composite video input? nub question: where and what is that?
Hold up, I'll go take a pic of the connection. It's just one wire going to the Iphone 4. The black wire is for my radar detector which I'll hardwire at some point. The second pic is the connections in the center console.
Attached Thumbnails Iphone 4 G37 integration-photo-1.jpg   Iphone 4 G37 integration-photo-3.jpg  

Last edited by cdebnil; 01-23-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 01-23-2011, 11:53 PM
punkajay

Ah, I see, that's not too bad. Did you have to remove any screws to pull the iphone end of the composite cable between the seat and console like that?

I'm guessing you had to do the video bypass to use the GPS while driving? I'd seriously consider this setup since I don't have the infiniti navi.

J

Originally Posted by cdebnil
Hold up, I'll go take a pic of the connection. It's just one wire going to the Iphone 4. The black wire is for my radar detector which I'll hardwire at some point. The second pic is the connections in the center console.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:13 AM
cdebnil

Originally Posted by punkajay
Ah, I see, that's not too bad. Did you have to remove any screws to pull the iphone end of the composite cable between the seat and console like that?

I'm guessing you had to do the video bypass to use the GPS while driving? I'd seriously consider this setup since I don't have the infiniti navi.

J
Nope, right now I just have it coming out of the center console. There's a little indentation in the center console specifically for a wire to come out of it. Yes, you have to do the unmentionable. Only use it for nav and nothing else!
Old 01-24-2011, 03:38 AM
smashhell

Just a note that This Doesn't work on 2010 and 2011 because they took out the AV ports leaving only USB ports.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:03 AM
kkokko
Registered Member

Hi,

I'm interested in the mounting you used, could you give us the links and quick briefing on how you use both the arkon and the proclip?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:06 PM
jack829

Pretty awesome man.

After seeing this, I might skip out on getting Nav lol

Quick Reply: Iphone 4 G37 integration