Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Additional car alarm/security option?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Additional car alarm/security option?

I'll be moving into my new condo in the next week or two. The place doesn't have security or cameras.

My car was just broken into last September and I don't want to deal with crap like that anymore. The factory alarm did go off but I didn't hear it.

I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket alarm with an alarm pager.

Can anybody steer me to the right direction?

Any other options I can go for??
Old 01-13-2011, 06:23 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Viper 5902 w/ smart start. If im in range of the vehicle the pager will go off. I also have smart start which sends me a text message to my phone everytime my alarm goes off.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:15 PM
voltic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by myk1013
Any other options I can go for??
Old 05-27-2011, 01:12 PM
bitNine

I have a 2-way alarm on my truck because it got broken into about a year ago. So, with my nifty 2-way alarm, I knew I'd never have a problem again. 2 months later my truck is broken into again at home, in the same spot, the same window, and the same god damn GPS stolen. Did the 2-way alert me? Hell yeah it did. It alerted me just in time to see some dude in the distance running off with my GPS and crowbar in hand. SO, was it worth all the extra cash I spent on a nice 2-way alarm?

Now I just leave my doors unlocked, and take everything out. I took extra steps to bolt down stereo equipment, so there's nothing that can be taken within a few seconds. I leave the alarm armed so I can be notified if it's tampered with. So far, the 2-way alarm has been worthless. If they are in and out of your car within seconds, what's the point?

Sucks, but sometimes an alarm isn't the answer.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:43 PM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by maxfinity
I have the Viper 5902 w/ smart start. If im in range of the vehicle the pager will go off. I also have smart start which sends me a text message to my phone everytime my alarm goes off.
Where in miami did you get that installed?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:18 AM
KPierson_

Car security can be extremely tricky - you need to analyze what you are trying to protect against.

If you are trying to protect against "smash and grab" type attacks, as mentioned above, no alarm will provide the protection you need. The BEST protection against "smash and grab" is to not leave anything of any value in sight. Park in well lit, high visible areas.

If you have aftermarket stereo equipment that would take a little bit to get yank out an alarm may help you. However, keep in mind that one of the BEST parts of an alarm is not the siren and sensors, but the flashing LED that alerts people there is an alarm present. In many cases the flashing LED is enough to make the thief move on to an easier target. This little fact also makes it possible to trick thieves in to thinking you have an aftermarket alarm just by installing an LED.

If you are trying to protect the wheels or the entire car, other options are available (such as tilt sensors and GPS tracking).

Lastly, there are things you can do to increase the effectiveness of the OEM alarm. You can add an aftermarket single stage shock sensor (or virtually any other discreet sensor). You can disable the key cylinder in the drivers door so that it can't be popped out and used to disarm the OEM alarm and lower the windows. The stock alarm is actually half way decent and only needs some minor tweaking to make it suitable for most circumstances!
Old 06-08-2011, 01:50 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by _ant_
Where in miami did you get that installed?
Custom Kar Soundz. They're one of Vipers recommended installers.