Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help Navigation Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 04:54 PM
g37ny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation Question

Ok, i hate that when driving you cannot operate the Navigation system or music box (other than whats on the screen). Is there anyway to take this saftey feature off?

Im looking to beable to put in a new address when driving (not one that is stored on my recent destination). Or beable to sreach for a new album than the one that is playing.

In my acura the navigation was fully operational when driving. Any help?
Old 12-27-2010, 05:00 PM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/premier...-this-but.html
Old 12-28-2010, 11:14 PM
disarm

you can't turn the feature off, but you can enter an address using voice commands. the voice recognition works pretty well and you can enter your address just about as fast, if not faster in some cases, than using the onscreen controls.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:10 AM
vactor
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's pretty stupid. you can mess with the radio etc, but not actually help get where u r going. my GF's cayenne and my brother's porsche let u enter addresses on the fly. there is no safety concern different than anything else. pay attention to your driving, and mess with anything else when it is safe to do so. pretty stupid to have technology be a "nanny" for idiots. ah well.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:26 PM
bcohen23

Agreed to all... however, I just noticed over this past weekend that the Infiniti Navigation doesn't have that annoying WARNING message you have to accept every time you start your car (at least the 2011's don't).
Old 01-06-2011, 12:45 PM
roots4x

Originally Posted by vactor
it's pretty stupid. you can mess with the radio etc, but not actually help get where u r going. my GF's cayenne and my brother's porsche let u enter addresses on the fly. there is no safety concern different than anything else. pay attention to your driving, and mess with anything else when it is safe to do so. pretty stupid to have technology be a "nanny" for idiots. ah well.
While I agree with you, one could argue that it is never safe to mess with the navigation while your car is moving. This is especially true for the not so simple interface on the G.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by bcohen23
Agreed to all... however, I just noticed over this past weekend that the Infiniti Navigation doesn't have that annoying WARNING message you have to accept every time you start your car (at least the 2011's don't).
it does on the 08's!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by roots4x
While I agree with you, one could argue that it is never safe to mess with the navigation while your car is moving. This is especially true for the not so simple interface on the G.
Yes, I’m one of those who have argued before that imputing destinations while driving is inherently dangerous. That’s what voice recognition is for. It’s my sense that other manufactures that do not have a similar lockout have transferred the legal risk to their MSRP. If true, that should give Infiniti owners some insight on this issue.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Chico

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bcohen23
Good point, I used to hate those warnings. Also, it seems like there's a voice command for all those functions that don't work when the car is moving. Voice control takes time to master, but it's pretty cool.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:19 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Chico
Good point, I used to hate those warnings. Also, it seems like there's a voice command for all those functions that don't work when the car is moving. Voice control takes time to master, but it's pretty cool.
I wouldn't say 'ALL those functions'. VR will not allow you to say the specific NAME of a place. For example, I can't say the known name of a restaurant but if I stop the car I can type the name and it will search and locate.