Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Do the newest ipod nano's work in a 2009 G?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 12:22 PM
SindhiStyle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the newest ipod nano's work in a 2009 G?

Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone is using the newest ipod nano in there 2009 G37? My old old nano used to work great but now the screen got messed up and I need to purchase a new one. I just dont want to get a new ipod and then find out it is not compatible with my car. Any help would be great.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Thanks
Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 PM
SindhiStyle

no one is using the newest ipod in their car?
Old 12-10-2010, 02:03 AM
nishalp
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SindhiStyle
no one is using the newest ipod in their car?
It may not charge however the interface to play should work. See TSB below...

1/2
Classification: Reference: Date: EL08-038 ITB09-003 January 9, 2009

IPOD CHARGING WITH INFINITI INTERFACE SYSTEM FOR IPOD
iPod® Charging with Infiniti Interface System for iPod®
APPLIED VEHICLES:
All Infiniti with Infiniti Interface System for iPod® (factory installed or accessory installed)

SERVICE INFORMATION
Please be aware that a recent design change was made by Apple to their iPod® and iPhone® products.
As a result of this change, some customers may report that their iPod®/iPhone® device does not charge while connected to the Infiniti Interface System for iPod®.

The Infiniti Interface System for iPod® was designed to charge the customer’s iPod® with a 12-volt power source, which has been supported by all Apple iPod® and iPhone® devices until the latest generation. After Apple’s design change, these new devices only support charging via a 5-volt source, which the Interface System does not provide. Customers may see error messages on the device screen, or notice that the device’s battery discharges while connected to their vehicle’s interface system. Please note that while charging may not be supported, playback and control through the vehicle’s audio system are still available.

Compatible Devices:
All Apple devices that support charging via a FireWire® connection are compatible with the Infiniti Interface System for iPod®. These include:
<DIR><DIR>
• iPod® Classic – 1st through 6th generation
• iPod® Mini – 1st through 2nd generation
• iPod® Nano – 1st through 3rd generation
• iPod® Touch – 1st generation
• iPhone® - 1st generation
NOTE
: Refer to the vehicle Owner’s Manual for further Infiniti Interface System Information.

</DIR></DIR>
Non-compatible devices (as of 12/8/2008):
<DIR><DIR>
iPhone® 3G
• iPod® Nano (4<SUP>th generation)
• iPod® Touch (2nd generation)

</DIR></DIR></SUP>
Old 12-11-2010, 04:13 AM
dantris2010

Since there are adapters to pass-though the data signal and convert the voltage and output to the correct pins, how hard would it it be for Infiniti (billing itself a Luxury brand) to produce a new compatible cable???

That's a rhetorical question....
Old 12-11-2010, 11:36 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It will operate but it will not charge. If you want it to charge, you need an adapter. I bought this one and it works great -

Amazon.com: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod touch 2G, 3G; iPod nano 4G; iPhone 3G (Black): Electronics
Old 12-12-2010, 06:15 AM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
It will operate but it will not charge. If you want it to charge, you need an adapter. I bought this one and it works great -

Amazon.com: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod touch 2G, 3G; iPod nano 4G; iPhone 3G (Black): Electronics
Ditto....works well, but won't charge.

Question...my old 30 GB ipod works well, but won't ever shut off in the infiniti, so the battery will run down over night which is super aggravating. Is there still the same problem with the Nano?
Old 12-12-2010, 02:24 PM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by Silver37
Ditto....works well, but won't charge.

Question...my old 30 GB ipod works well, but won't ever shut off in the infiniti, so the battery will run down over night which is super aggravating. Is there still the same problem with the Nano?
Yes, the newer iPods will power off when the ignition is turned off. I've got one of the newer iTouch models from late last year and it works fine (with the Scosche adapter). I've tried my wife's newer Nano from March 2010 and it behaves the same as my Touch - requires the adapter as well to charge. Both play and interface as expected.

Last edited by TinsleyC; 12-12-2010 at 02:25 PM. Reason: corrected Scosche spelling
Old 12-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TinsleyC
Yes, the newer iPods will power off when the ignition is turned off. I've got one of the newer iTouch models from late last year and it works fine (with the Scosche adapter). I've tried my wife's newer Nano from March 2010 and it behaves the same as my Touch - requires the adapter as well to charge. Both play and interface as expected.
Thanks. I have a new 6th gen Nano that would be a perfect size for the car. Looks like the adapter might be larger than the Nano!
Old 12-12-2010, 03:45 PM
TinsleyC

Thanks. I have a new 6th gen Nano that would be a perfect size for the car. Looks like the adapter might be larger than the Nano!
Yeah, it's close! On the other hand, my Touch is overkill for the car but it's all I've got right now. I've got a smaller Zune for the gym/travel which is great - MUCH better battery life than the iXXX series.

Overall it's great having the Touch in the car. I've got XM as well, so with six CD's loaded with mostly MP3's, XM, a Touch with 500+ songs, and Dallas radio, there's never s shortage of content / music to listen to.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:21 AM
Silver37
Registered Member

FYI - Got the Scosche adapter and it functionally works (charges, etc.), but there's a popping sound every time you change menus or songs on the newest Nano. Sounds like something is shorting out. Very irritating. I've tried using the Nano on battery power and there isn't any noise, so the adapter is somehow causing the noise. I guess that's why the manufacturer doesn't show it compatible with the latest versions of Nanos.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:08 PM
ebommari

Old IPOD doesn't charge

I have an ipod from 2002 that was still working but constantly needed to be charged. It worked fine in my 2009 Infiniti G37 until recently. It stopped and I purchased a replacement cord - the replacement cord works with a new iphone 4 but will not charge the old ipod as my previous cord did.

Any idea why the new cord would not charge the old ipod since the previous cord did?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:08 PM
RonMJ

I bought the Classic. works perfectly. and charges.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 PM
jms515

I do not need a lot of memory, and would prefer to keep cost down, I want an IPOD solely for the car, will Nano be cheapest and interface same way with Infiniti screen?
Old 02-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

FYI - Got the Scosche adapter and it functionally works (charges, etc.), but there's a popping sound every time you change menus or songs on the newest Nano. Sounds like something is shorting out. Very irritating. I've tried using the Nano on battery power and there isn't any noise, so the adapter is somehow causing the noise. I guess that's why the manufacturer doesn't show it compatible with the latest versions of Nanos.
Have had the exact same experience with the adapter used on the 6th gen Nano.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:59 AM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I've got the 6th gen Nano, and use the cablejive adaptor. I have not noticed any popping or interference ever. Maybe consider trying the cablejive adaptor?

Quick Reply: Do the newest ipod nano's work in a 2009 G?