Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Frustration with XM

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Angry Frustration with XM

Even though I have two more years to go on my Sirius XM subscription, yesterday the audio was not working when I got into my car. All I could get was channel 1 (audio previews) and 247 (traffic info). I called them immediately and they said they would simply re-initialize my account and I would be up and running in no more than 15 minutes. When that didn’t work I called them again, with the same result. Curiously, all traffic info functions were working fine.

A third call resulted in their saying it may take up to three hours to restore my signal, and I must keep the radio on and tuned to channel 1 for that period. What? I’m to keep the car running or have the ignition on for three hours? They sheepishly said yes. That seemed impractical so I gave up with just the ignition on after an hour.

Now losing patience I called again and told them if they didn’t restore my XM audio I would have to cancel my subscription. For the first time they said they needed to “update” my account and would have the signal restored in 15 minutes. Alas, this time they were right and the audio finally came back.

I’m wondering if anyone else has had this kind of trouble with XM.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:32 PM
blkmanual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unfortunately yes several times with 2 different cars. They say they need to send a refresh signal and that doesnt work meantime they keep you on hold forever while they jerk around and it takes a min of 3 calls to get it straightened out. Now since they started charging seperate fees for weather and traffic so in theory they are making more money now they should at least have the system running properly or have people better prepared to handle the mishaps but since they are the only satelite radio co now I guess the urgency isnt thee to make us the customer happy.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:52 PM
boiler725

I've had the same experience... And don't even try to get a subscription changed to another radio.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:03 PM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going through it right now...about to call and cancel actually. I had the same problems on my 07 sedan. Tired of them...seriously...
Old 12-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
yup my dad had the same problem on his 370. He is super impatient and almost cancelled
Old 12-07-2010, 10:12 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I love my XM. I don't know if I could drive without it. Never had any issues with it either.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:18 PM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Part of my frustrations is that I don't need it...but pay for it because it is a nice perk. I use my iphone for most everything between the ipod and pandora. So when I have problems with it, they are just multiplied. Time to rid myself of the frustration...
Old 12-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Seymour Bush

Happens on my '09 Coupe from time to time. Usually, it is just temporary and then I get all my channels back. If I am somewhere convenient, I can usually get all my channels back by turning my car off and then re-starting. Don't really have a better solution to the problem other than that or waiting for the signal to be resent. With so many other media forms available, I just go to normal radio or my iPod. Don't really use the CD player and haven't figured out the compact flash card or hard drive stuff yet.

I think I get more frustrated with the signal strength or lack there of. Even with my garage door open and the car starting to back up out of the garage, I can't get a clear signal so there's no radio. Doesn't happen with my external Sirius radio in my '04 G35 Coupe...
Old 12-08-2010, 03:03 AM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I had a problem with XM when I bought my G and switched my remaining 6 month over from my Honda to my Infiniti. They jerked me around, put me on hold, and f@cked up my account putting me on autobill for 25 bucks a month for some premium membership... Please, I only listen to about 6 of their channels and that's it.

Finally after about 5 calls got it all sorted out and refunded after someone found the mistake and I threaten credit card dispute and BBB. They offered me 6 months of radio for $20 to keep me as a customer, so now I call up every time my subscription is about to end and tell the rep that I got a promotion via mail for 6 month for $20. So far this has worked out for me, just renewed again the other day! But OP I feel your pain.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:27 AM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ya mines only 1 and 247 also! I'm like WTF is going on, ima call them tomorrow I miss channel 68
Old 12-08-2010, 03:31 AM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Solution:
Buy a '10+ w/ bluetooth audio so that you may use pandora and bam, problem solved.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:33 AM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't run pandora off my iPhone? I've never tried
Old 12-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Frankyg37s

Originally Posted by doggyfresh102
ya mines only 1 and 247 also! I'm like wtf is going on, ima call them tomorrow i miss channel 68
i miss 66raw rip
Old 12-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ive had it for the past 3 years now with NO issues.

Elvis Radio FTW haha
Old 12-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Gamedog
Ive had it for the past 3 years now with NO issues.

Elvis Radio FTW haha
Well, my trouble started after three years and three months. So watch out. Actually, the situation could have been worse—it could have played only the Howard Stern channel.

Quick Reply: Frustration with XM