Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Connect Multiple USB Devices

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 02:28 PM
CryofMankind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Connect Multiple USB Devices

I have a 2010 G37x Couple with the Premium audio package - connecting up my iPod through USB works great. I have also configured a 64gb SSD with a bunch of movies, and those play beautifully as well. What I'm looking to do is find some way to keep both devices connected and just toggle between them without having to fuss with cables. I know a typical USB hub won't work, but I'm sure there is some solution out there. I'm not concerned with being able to charge the iPod even if not in use - a simple switch would be preferable.

Has anyone attempted this or have any thoughts on how it could be done?
Old 11-15-2010, 02:36 PM
LightsOut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how did you get the movies to play on the ssd card
Old 11-15-2010, 02:38 PM
CryofMankind

I'm using a A-DATA 64GB USB Internal / External Solid State Drive - formatted it FAT32, put the movies on there and used the AviC application (from Xvid) to switch over the codec to DIVX. Works like a charm.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:43 PM
LightsOut

oh I see.. what did you say again..
Old 11-15-2010, 03:01 PM
CryofMankind

I'm imaging you are questing the later portion... well, it's pretty easy.
  1. Download Xvix here (find the right one for your computer)
  2. You will need to have a DIVX codec installed on your computer - if you are able to play movies, chances are you are all set. If not, download one (I'd suggest the CCCP or you can download just the DIVX Codec here.)
  3. Go to the install directory (default is C:\Program Files\Xvid) and run the file called AviC.exe
  4. Hit the [...] button to browse for your movie file.
  5. Set the second box to DIVX and hit Apply
  6. Now, copy this file onto a thumb drive (or in my case a Solid State Hard Drive) and put it into your USB drive in your car. Make sure your parking brake is on, and you should be good to go.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:53 PM
LightsOut

sweet now were talking. I'm gonna being doing this soon.

as for the parking brake... I got something up my sleeve for that, while in D.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:55 PM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CryofMankind
I'm imaging you are questing the later portion... well, it's pretty easy.
  1. Download Xvix here (find the right one for your computer)
  2. You will need to have a DIVX codec installed on your computer - if you are able to play movies, chances are you are all set. If not, download one (I'd suggest the CCCP or you can download just the DIVX Codec here.)
  3. Go to the install directory (default is C:\Program Files\Xvid) and run the file called AviC.exe
  4. Hit the [...] button to browse for your movie file.
  5. Set the second box to DIVX and hit Apply
  6. Now, copy this file onto a thumb drive (or in my case a Solid State Hard Drive) and put it into your USB drive in your car. Make sure your parking brake is on, and you should be good to go.
I just learned something...
Old 11-15-2010, 04:08 PM
CryofMankind

Glad I could help... So, anyone have any thoughts on my original question?
Old 11-16-2010, 12:44 AM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
There are usb splitters that can be switch with just the push of a button or flip of a switch. Like you said, you can not have a usb hub, but a switch will work. Google usb switch and you will find tons of switch with all kinds of configurations to meet your needs.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...722&lid=628335
Old 11-16-2010, 12:48 AM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice write up! This will come in to use for sure
Old 11-16-2010, 07:12 AM
CryofMankind

Originally Posted by Fezzik
There are usb splitters that can be switch with just the push of a button or flip of a switch. Like you said, you can not have a usb hub, but a switch will work. Google usb switch and you will find tons of switch with all kinds of configurations to meet your needs.

CABLESTOGO 2-Port Cable USB 2.0 Manual Switch : Networking: Enterprise Class | Dell
Originally Posted by Fezzik

CABLESTOGO 2-Port Cable USB 2.0 Manual Switch : Networking: Enterprise Class | Dell
Fezzik (Princess Bride?),

Everything I found with that Google search really wasn't applicable. They were all for sharing a single device between two computers rather than sharing two devices to one computer. There were also a ton of USB-NAS adapters, network based USB splitters, USB/KVM switches... but nothing that would work in this application. I think mainly because almost every other "computer" would recognize multiple USB devices and wouldn't have the need for a switch.

I did notice that iStubz makes something that would almost work, but it doesn't have the "switch" ability. I am thinking it would be possible to modify this, but not sure how easily or cleanly it could be done.
duaLink Sync Splitter Cable for iPod and iPhone (iStubz makes some really short iPod/iPhone cables by the way, so if you don't want a bunch of cord in your center console, you can get a couple inch USB cable for about $8.)

I'll keep looking around, but would be interested if anyone turns up something that I missed.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Wlmngtn
Nice write up! This will come in to use for sure
Glad it's useful - I'll make a new thread with just that as the topic for easier reference.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Staples

That's what I was going to say... You're going to need to split the USB connections and have some sort of switch relay to switch in-between both devices.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:03 PM
CryofMankind

There are only 4 wires in a USB cable. Power, Data -, Data +, and ground. Pin 1 is power. In theory, all I need to do is splice together two USB cables with a manual switch on Pin 1. I know they sell in-line switches for power cables (for things like desk lamps) - wonder if I could use this same type of switch for a USB cable. I also have some old headsets lying around with mute switches - I might be able to modify one of these to work with a USB cable... Hmm... Time to get out the wire strippers...
Old 11-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Staples

Originally Posted by CryofMankind
There are only 4 wires in a USB cable. Power, Data -, Data +, and ground. Pin 1 is power. In theory, all I need to do is splice together two USB cables with a manual switch on Pin 1. I know they sell in-line switches for power cables (for things like desk lamps) - wonder if I could use this same type of switch for a USB cable. I also have some old headsets lying around with mute switches - I might be able to modify one of these to work with a USB cable... Hmm... Time to get out the wire strippers...
I would assume that would make sense have the switch controlled for pin 1 and just ground it somewhere... should work?

Also, the 2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe didn't come with a USB port.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Staples

For us 2008 guys, I'd like to see how the hard drive is configured and hardwired, and to see where it's actually located. I wonder if it's feasible to replace it with some sort of SSD that I could easily disconnect and hook it up to a laptop to sync all my music, videos, ect. I'd have to see if the our cars are compatible with DivX videos.

Quick Reply: Connect Multiple USB Devices