Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Day/Night Mode on the navi screen

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:30 PM
jtla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day/Night Mode on the navi screen

The navigation screen on my 2010 G37 sedan seems to always show in the night mode (dark map with starry sky) when set to auto -- even when the indicator at the bottom of screen states auto/day mode. The only way to change the navi screen to day mode (bright map with blue sky) is to turn on the headlight and then switch to manual/day mode. Once done, it stays there even if the headlight is turn off, but then I will have to manually change to night mode again at night.

It has been like this since I got it in March. I had always wondering why I couldn't see any difference between day and night mode, until I accidentally discovered the trick over the weekend when it rained and I had to turn on the headlight. BTW, I just did the navi TSB last week. It was the same before and after.

Does anyone have this problem, too? Is this a bug or is there a way to fix it?
Old 10-20-2010, 04:29 PM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
theres a button that will automatically switch between day/nite mode....you can also adjust the brightness of the screen somewhere in your settings
Old 10-20-2010, 04:52 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

just go into settings and you can change what the default is when the headlights are not on. you can make it so when the headlights are off it is either the day or night background.

the simplest way to fix a "problem" like this is to open either the nav or owners manual
Old 10-23-2010, 11:24 PM
jtla

Originally Posted by carz
theres a button that will automatically switch between day/nite mode....you can also adjust the brightness of the screen somewhere in your settings
That's the button I used, in conjuction with the headlight switch, to manually bring up the DAY mode.

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag

just go into settings and you can change what the default is when the headlights are not on. you can make it so when the headlights are off it is either the day or night background.

the simplest way to fix a "problem" like this is to open either the nav or owners manual
I actually went throught the settings, including navigation, map, and display before posting, but could not find anything to fix this problem. What you described sound like the right fix. Would you be kind enough to point to me what sub-menu(s)? By the way, I have the 2010. Wondering if the setting menu are the same? Thanks!
Old 10-23-2010, 11:48 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
The nav has been upgraded in the 10 model year. Without going through the menu options do you have a setting to have your lights auto come on in the sedan? So when it's dusk or night it will come on, and in turn change the NAV display to a night display. When in direct sunlight, the lights will be off and the NAV display will be in day mode. Thats how I have mine if it helps.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:39 AM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Also make sure nothing is blocking the light sensor as well.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:39 AM
jtla

Originally Posted by cereal2k
The nav has been upgraded in the 10 model year. Without going through the menu options do you have a setting to have your lights auto come on in the sedan? So when it's dusk or night it will come on, and in turn change the NAV display to a night display. When in direct sunlight, the lights will be off and the NAV display will be in day mode. Thats how I have mine if it helps.
Yes, I set the light "Auto" indeed. However, the problem is, as stated in my original post, the map displays in night mode even though the Auto setting states it is supposedly in day mode (see picture below -- note the "auto/sun" icon at the left-bottom corner of the screen, which indicate day-mode, but the map actually is in night-mode).

Day/Night Mode on the navi screen-p1180735.jpgDay/Night Mode on the navi screen-p1180739.jpg
Old 10-25-2010, 08:26 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
"setting" -> "display" -> make sure "display" is checked, then check "background color"

If that doesn't work I have no idea what changed b/w 09 and 10
Old 10-25-2010, 01:07 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jtla
Yes, I set the light "Auto" indeed. However, the problem is, as stated in my original post, the map displays in night mode even though the Auto setting states it is supposedly in day mode (see picture below -- note the "auto/sun" icon at the left-bottom corner of the screen, which indicate day-mode, but the map actually is in night-mode).

Attachment 84951Attachment 84952
Ok, that may require a dealer visit. If nothing is blocking the sensor and sensitivity is set to low ( so it really has to be very dark out for the map to change the displaymode) then it seems to be some defect. Not sure if you can reset the options to default also to see if that makes a difference.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:46 AM
jtla

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
"setting" -> "display" -> make sure "display" is checked, then check "background color"

If that doesn't work I have no idea what changed b/w 09 and 10
Thank you for the tip. As I mentioned, I did play around the settings before come to this board for help. The "background color" seems like only adjusting the screen brightness of each mode. In the few times I tried, it did not make any difference to the problem I had.

Anyway, I played it again after reading your post. I got lucky this time: the screen became always on "day" mode instead of always on"night" mode. That encouraged me to play some more. I seems to get different results randomly, but finally it was at the correct mode. I kept my finger crossed the next morning, and, YES, it did change to day mode -- and back to night mode when it's dark. It appears to function normally now. I still don't understand how it works, but I am not touching that "background color" setting again. (BTW, the navigation instruction manual is not clear about how it works, either.)

Really appreciate your advise on this!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:57 PM
g37noober

Hey guys,

I have been looking all over the forum to try to figure out why my day/night button on my 2013 G37 sedan only adjusts the display brightness and not the navigation map background color.

I thought the feature didn't exist (not sure why it wouldn't though), my navigation map ALWAYS has a white background no matter how many times I press the day/night button (the one next to the INFO button). But I just got a loaner G37 from the dealer while getting service and THIS car's map background is black, and turns to white when I turn the headlights on.

What gives?

I can't figure out how to get this feature working in my own car, the dealer doesn't have a clue, the navigation manual doesn't have much info either. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks for any help you can offer!