Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Bose system not that loud

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 08:18 AM
briann510

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For all who thinks the Bose sucks go upgrade it with a better system. Its only money. My son thought his Hummer sound system sucked and $3200 later with some friggin concert hall system he said it sounded much better. Waste of money in my opinion but so is the Hummer....
Old 10-08-2010, 11:20 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
OK, I did my db meter testing. Not scientific but I did the best I could. I tested while sitting still as I didn't want to be driving, writing down info and trying to look at the meter. A couple of control items, I did not turn my stereo all the way up to max, I'm not a fan of clipping my amp (good way to fry speakers). On my '08, the volume level is indicated by little bars that progress, in all tests I turned it up to 3 bars less than max. I held the meter at head level right between the seat headrests and a little in front of them. Tested first with the windows up and sunroof closed.

Station Song Meter Reading

XM #49 Peter Gabriel: Sollsberry Hill 98-100db
FM AC/DC: Back in Black 105-107db
XM #26 Chris Allen: ? 96-98db
iPod Keane: Bend & Break 104-106db

Then I opened the windows and sunroof and did the same test, unfortunately could not test some of the same songs.

Station Song Meter Reading
XM #46 Aerosmith: Back in the Saddle 99-100db
FM Heart: Barracuda 101-103db
iPod Keane: Bend & Break 101-103db

So ..... on my way home I was on a highway (not full freeway, was doing about 60mph) and decided to open the windows and sunroof to see about volume level and hearing all the music.I don't normally drive highway with windows & sunroof open. I did have to turn it up pretty loud to hear most of the music. Just for grins I held the meter up, same testing volume level and switched between several stations/sources and was getting db readings between 102-105db.

Lastly I turned the music off, all windows open and was getiing a db reading of 103db.... so driving with the windows open is loud, turning music up to hear all aspects does need to be pretty loud. For me the Bose handles it OK ...now I ask this. Do you really hear all aspects of the music, no matter how loud it is with 103db of ambient noise? I think not ....

PS ...sorry my columns aren't working, they show up spaced in the edit but when I post the spaces go away.
PSS ... According to this site, anything above 85db can be dangerous (for what it's worth)
http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/hearingloss.cfm
Old 10-08-2010, 11:37 AM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a solid system...like others said...for what it is. Very few cars in this price range can compete with it. You talk about the A8, of course that is going to blow ours out of the water. It frickin better. You compare to a custom system? Of course that will be better...again...it better be!

This is a good system, has good highs and lows(notice I didn't say excellent...but I would never EXPECT that in this car). For the majority who buy this car it is plenty. For those that it doesn't satisfy, honestly, Infiniti realizes that those people are going to get custom systems anyways no matter what they put in it.

Just my .02...
Old 10-08-2010, 11:39 AM
2008G-Man

Originally Posted by TheIvoryG
This is a solid system...like others said...for what it is. Very few cars in this price range can compete with it. You talk about the A8, of course that is going to blow ours out of the water. It frickin better. You compare to a custom system? Of course that will be better...again...it better be!

This is a good system, has good highs and lows(notice I didn't say excellent...but I would never EXPECT that in this car). For the majority who buy this car it is plenty. For those that it doesn't satisfy, honestly, Infiniti realizes that those people are going to get custom systems anyways no matter what they put in it.

Just my .02...
Well said!
Old 10-08-2010, 02:08 PM
A_Palaroan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i used to go to spl contests when i was into car audio and the loudest db you can hit is with a cd. a cd has the cleanest and loudest sound then any other source; mp3,radio,etc. play a real cd (not a burned cd) and it will be louder then your ipod or radio. for you guys with the bose drivers audio stage.... make sure its on.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:22 PM
csnpsu

Wether or not you think the Bose is a good system all i want to know is there a way to make it louder? Add a bigger AMP? New Speaker???
Old 10-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by Jamler
FYI... I just installed a set of Black Betty's Ground Wires and it definitely
improved the sound of the Bose... Tighter thump on the bass and a bit more volume!!

And 08GMan > Check out a SW package called MP3 Gain... You can level set
ALL your MP3's, even the ones recorded at lower bit rates so all sound the same level.

JC
HAHA, holy sugar pills!
Old 10-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Beer Magazine

If you want to have a "boomin system" spend a crap load of money and you'll go deaf, and also people will come steal it. I think the stock is plenty loud. Is it the best stock system...no way. BOSE is actually rated pretty low in upgraded sound systems. But this one works. I have the Vert and I can hear it fine with the top down. Can the people down the street hear me coming from a mile away...no.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:06 PM
blindman8858

You guys should strive for sound clarity as opposed to volume. Your hearing is probably already damaged from the consistent loud volume listening most people do now a days. Bose is definitely not the top of the line audio but its not bad either. If you want something superb, just go spend some money and make it happen. I too also wish the audio was better in the G but it is what is.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Jamler

Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
HAHA, holy sugar pills!

I FEEL it man...
Old 10-27-2010, 05:14 AM
xpltr

well im glad i found this thread.. and its old.. but i still want to comment.... the bose system is adequate sound wise, but thats when i have it completely turned up... i mean im no professional on the amount of power and sound a speaker system can give out but every car ive owned had a bose system.. it started with my 1998 acura CL... and i swear.. that stock system came with mini subs and the sound was amazing, loud with a beautiful kick.. then i went to the 2004 audi a4... now this car is 4 years older with a price $10,000 lower than my 08 G... Bose system aswell, couldnt even put the volume 3/4s the way without getting scared i would blow a speaker... and you know what.. after 2 months i blew a speaker.. and it still sounded louder than this! but **** it, i guess theres no tweeking to be done or its not worth it
Old 10-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Breitling65

Originally Posted by TheIvoryG

Just my .02...
I would disagree with above, I came from Acura TL and this bose sound sounds crappy to me after. And yes TL is in same price range and also Japanese made car. Yes, in general I like my G but not this bose system I paid extra. I am actually disappointed in bose in general, I think it is gimmick brand (clarion in real)? and I prefer Polk or Boston Acoustics even for my home theater system since more natural and advanced sound produced.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:34 AM
csnpsu

Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
If you want to have a "boomin system" spend a crap load of money and you'll go deaf, and also people will come steal it. I think the stock is plenty loud. Is it the best stock system...no way. BOSE is actually rated pretty low in upgraded sound systems. But this one works. I have the Vert and I can hear it fine with the top down. Can the people down the street hear me coming from a mile away...no.
This is why this forum upsets me, everyone is so busy giving me there opinion on whether the system is loud enough, what they think, spend money and get it stolen, all that is bull ****. If you don’t have an answer to my question then please do not respond. I don’t care what you think about the system or how you feel about it, keep it to yourself.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o> </o>
All I know is I do not think it is loud enough and I am wondering if there is an easy way to boost the volume? Take off a regulator? Add a bigger amp???<o></o>
Old 10-27-2010, 04:37 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
^ you may have missed it, but try turning off the AGC (auto, speed dependent gain control).
Old 10-27-2010, 04:49 PM
2008G-Man

100plus db is pretty darn loud. How about this, is there anything you can do to make the OEM Bose system louder WITHOUT spending any money ...... No.