Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Defrag the harddrive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 10:49 PM
iwasgointo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defrag the harddrive?

Seems to me with all the music I record onto the harddrive and later decide to delete it, there would be a need to occasionally defrag the hardrive for better performance. Does this sound logical?
Old 09-26-2010, 11:42 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by iwasgointo
Seems to me with all the music I record onto the harddrive and later decide to delete it, there would be a need to occasionally defrag the hardrive for better performance. Does this sound logical?
It's it's not skipping I can't say there's a need. If it does, about the only way I can think of is to copy it off somewhere, delete it all, and reload it.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:08 AM
G-ThirtySe7en

There are plenty of file systems that don't need defragmentation, so assuming it needs it is just an assumption.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:22 AM
xyz
Registered Member

Windows 7 or Vista automatically configures Disk Defrag to schedule defragment to run once a week, usually at 1am on Wednesday.

LOL, nvm, i did not realize he was talking about the onboard hdd for our car . . . blonde moment . . .

Last edited by xyz; 09-27-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:56 AM
dopey
Registered Member

The '07-'09 on board stuff runs on QNX, which has a number of filesystems options all of which either automatically defrags, or due to the filesystem structure naturally resist fragmentation.

I assume the '10 stuff uses QNX as well, but I'm not sure anyone's taken it apart to confirm.

So don't worry about it.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:18 AM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Defragmentation doesn't help much with performance. Back in the day when HDDs are slow then it's true.