Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Upgraded bose system...Opinions..

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 12:47 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by speedracer g37
The word is bass, not base.
Whatever ....
Old 09-16-2010, 02:45 PM
PascalT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has plenty of punch but coming from an audiophile background if I stop and try to nitpick at the sound there's plenty of things to criticize... namely the lack of bass and just how the sound doesn't sound "full". but for a head-bopping-while-driving system it does the job fine.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Namir
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stock Bose has plenty of bass, It has some decent highs and mids. I would just say that the system is a bit flat in terms of clarity at different frequencies and the bass lacks depth.

Amount of bass isn't a problem, its the quality of it.

I will say I'm biased because I'm running a Klipsch sound system at home for music/movies and it blows Bose out of the water.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 PM
2008G-Man

"Amount of bass isn't a problem, its the quality of it."

That's always been an issue with Bose, that's why they don't quote specs on their thumpers.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Spaded21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
I don't understand the lack of bass comments. Bass isn't supposed to be overpowering like most kids have it cranked up in the car. The bass from my Bose can vibrate the rear view mirror. Bass is the subtle part of the music, not the over riding majority.
Go to a concert, any concert and listen to the amount of bass that is present. Good bass you shouldn't just hear it but you should feel it too. That doesn't mean it has to be overpowering, if you have the mids and highs to go with it.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:03 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by carz
compared to other 'premium' systems.......its one of the best. Better than BMW, better than the Alpine system in my Jag.

never have i once heard distortion or crackling.......its a very solid system
Ehhh, I dunno...Logic 7 sounds much better in my friends' BMW's than mine.

Then again, I've complained how my sound system seems very lackluster compared to a lot of other cars. Even the damn Ford Focus I rented a month ago sounded better. I also got a rental G37 sedan a few weeks ago and its non-Bose system still sounded better than my Bose system. Definitely not enough bass for my taste (and no, it's not the MP3 quality). I'd give it a 6.5/10. But then again, maybe I have a faulty system. I'd love to hear someone else's stock system to compare...maybe if I go to the Riverside meet this Sunday I'll get a chance.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:31 AM
NCNC

Originally Posted by Namir
The stock Bose has plenty of bass, It has some decent highs and mids. I would just say that the system is a bit flat in terms of clarity at different frequencies and the bass lacks depth.
Totally agree! I'm a bit disappointing with the overall clarity. Somehow I feel that the audio system in my friend's RSX performs better in this.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:21 AM
2008G-Man

Originally Posted by Spaded21
Go to a concert, any concert and listen to the amount of bass that is present. Good bass you shouldn't just hear it but you should feel it too. That doesn't mean it has to be overpowering, if you have the mids and highs to go with it.
Been to plenty of concerts .... the decible level has to also do with feeling the bass. You can't equate volume to how good the bass is. Bass is supposed to roll off pretty quick. In most cars that mod the stereo it doesn't it lingers and over powers all the other frequencies.

My point is, for a stock setup it's pretty good. I would spend money elsewhere on the car before thinking about upgrading the stereo. I use the example of my neighbor who is an audiphile, $600 speaker wire, ribbon speakers, seperate dedicated power supplys, etc ... He says sit right here on the couch in the "one" sweet spot. Yeah it sounded OK but for 30k you still have the neighbors mowing the lawn, kids making noise, dogs barking, etc.

Same with the car, the G is not that quiet to be concerned about audiophile quality.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:24 AM
2008G-Man

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Ehhh, I dunno...Logic 7 sounds much better in my friends' BMW's than mine.

Then again, I've complained how my sound system seems very lackluster compared to a lot of other cars. Even the damn Ford Focus I rented a month ago sounded better. I also got a rental G37 sedan a few weeks ago and its non-Bose system still sounded better than my Bose system. Definitely not enough bass for my taste (and no, it's not the MP3 quality). I'd give it a 6.5/10. But then again, maybe I have a faulty system. I'd love to hear someone else's stock system to compare...maybe if I go to the Riverside meet this Sunday I'll get a chance.
It might be your system. I got a G37X sedan, non Bose as a loaner ...stereo was noticably worse than my Bose.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:23 AM
flm09

Bass is sufficient for me! Play Akon's "I want to F... You!" And you know what I mean!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:36 AM
idontcare4

Originally Posted by flm09
Bass is sufficient for me! Play Akon's "I want to F... You!" And you know what I mean!
lol
Old 09-17-2010, 09:32 AM
JessterCPA

It has a very 'Bose' sound. Go to your local Best Buy or electronics store, and go listen in their sound room to any Bose setup vs. other brands. The Bose systems all have similar traits, which many people find attractive. Others (including myself) do not. I used to sell mid-level electronics for a now-defunct retail chain, so we used to go to other stores all the time to listen.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

I have a 'vert which I think is different from the standard coupe. I am really happy with the sound, especially with the top down. When I first got it I didn't think it had enough power, but after several months I am very happy with the power and quality. The one option I ALWAYS check off is the upgraded stereo, in any vehicle. Bought a cargo van last year and I got Fords' best commercial vehicle stereo. Yeah it's WEAK, but a lot better than the cheaper one.

Shane D