Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Weak stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 01:46 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Weak stereo?

I know people have generally said the Bose on Wheels system is not all that great, but I definitely think it should sound better than how mine is right now. I'm beginning to wonder if something is wrong with my stereo.

If I want to "bump" my radio, I have to set my volume at around 50%. I had a rental 09 G37 base sedan a week ago and after putting it at only 25%, it was already just as loud as mine @ 50%. The bass even hit better than mine. Dude, a few weeks before that, I rented a Ford Focus and Dodge Caliper and I thought both of their systems sounded better than mine. WTF is going on?!?!

I would really like to compare someone else's Bose on Wheels to mine and see if it's just me...maybe I'll drop by the dealership and do a comparison.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has similar complaints.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Spaded21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put mine around 50-60% for what I consider to be loud, if it was already loud at 25% then that would be kinda dumb IMO
Old 09-10-2010, 11:20 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
I know people have generally said the Bose on Wheels system is not all that great, but I definitely think it should sound better than how mine is right now. I'm beginning to wonder if something is wrong with my stereo.

If I want to "bump" my radio, I have to set my volume at around 50%. I had a rental 09 G37 base sedan a week ago and after putting it at only 25%, it was already just as loud as mine @ 50%. The bass even hit better than mine. Dude, a few weeks before that, I rented a Ford Focus and Dodge Caliper and I thought both of their systems sounded better than mine. WTF is going on?!?!

I would really like to compare someone else's Bose on Wheels to mine and see if it's just me...maybe I'll drop by the dealership and do a comparison.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has similar complaints.
One other thing to consider is the media you're playing. Ever notice how some rips sound nice and loud and others don't..expecially older music. The gain on the rip could be low. Nickelback albums for example explode on my stereo... great recordings. My old Sabbath stuff though...not so great. The solution was a free program called MP3Gain... allows you to increase the gain and can do it by song or matched to the album.

On IPOD you can also play with the EQ to get a bit more volume.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Spaded21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
One other thing to consider is the media you're playing. Ever notice how some rips sound nice and loud and others don't..expecially older music. The gain on the rip could be low. Nickelback albums for example explode on my stereo... great recordings. My old Sabbath stuff though...not so great. The solution was a free program called MP3Gain... allows you to increase the gain and can do it by song or matched to the album.

Ah very good point, also just having a different source (CD/iPod/Raido) can make a difference
Old 09-13-2010, 12:23 PM
chasemyaccord

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC

Yeah, very good point. I noticed when I play "Love the Way You Lie" from my iPod, it doesn't sound as good as the one KIIS plays over the radio. But still, I know it's weaker than the loaner I drove which had awesome sound. It's not a huge deal, but I'd still very much like to compare with someone else's Bose on Wheels system to see if it's just me.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:47 AM
lier200a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think its probably the source... I can't go past 50% (with the top down on 09 vert) playing from my Ipod nano... otherwise, I might go deaf. Although i was in a 2010 G sedan and it was at 50% to sound decently loud playing from my ipod as well
Old 09-17-2010, 12:51 AM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I put mine at around 75% and still dont think its loud enough?
Old 09-20-2010, 03:57 PM
ucla bruin

If you're using the factory ipod connector, then the quality is greatly reduced. It's a big difference. I'm using the ipod-to-RCA, sounds much much better.