Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Interior / Ipod question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 02:34 PM
shaun671

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior / Ipod question

Hey guys does anyone have an issue with the center display (between the speedometer and tachometer) being very very dim when its bright out? It seems like during the day sometimes I can barely see what it says, then other parts of the day (and of course night) the letters are bold and pronounced and easy to read. I looked around and I couldn't find a setting to adjust specifically this screen to prevent this (yes I have the interior lighting set to max already)

Also, for those with non-navigation + ipod hookups, is there a quicker way to scroll through songs/albums without having to go through each page of songs until you get to where you want? For example, If I want to play an artist that starts with a "z" I have to literally press the down button (even scrolling with the turn ****) on the user interface like a hundred times to get into the "Z" category. Is there a way to skip from A-Z and bypass scrolling through B, C, D....etc.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:07 PM
CDONNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shaun671
Hey guys does anyone have an issue with the center display (between the speedometer and tachometer) being very very dim when its bright out? It seems like during the day sometimes I can barely see what it says, then other parts of the day (and of course night) the letters are bold and pronounced and easy to read. I looked around and I couldn't find a setting to adjust specifically this screen to prevent this (yes I have the interior lighting set to max already)

Also, for those with non-navigation + ipod hookups, is there a quicker way to scroll through songs/albums without having to go through each page of songs until you get to where you want? For example, If I want to play an artist that starts with a "z" I have to literally press the down button (even scrolling with the turn ****) on the user interface like a hundred times to get into the "Z" category. Is there a way to skip from A-Z and bypass scrolling through B, C, D....etc.
As for the dimming, if the light brightness on the left side of the gauge cluster is maxed out and the brightness on the display is maxed out (buttons below radio/climate/etc. screen) then I'm not sure there is a way to help.

As for the iPod issue, what I did (as did a number of other people on here) just change your genre list to be A,B,C,D,....,Z,# for the artists they relate to. So, if we're talking Foo Fighters, make the genre for all Foo Fighter songs "F". Then, when browsing for a certain artist, go to Genre instead of Artist on the interface. Then you'll only have to scroll a max of 25-30 to get to the artist letter/number you want.

Hope that helps, and sorry about the gauge light issue. Might just be bad lighting at times?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:08 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

I have not had any problems with my center display on the dash. it seems bright and readable to me, and if youve already worked with the interior lighting settings id say go to a dealer and maybe they can check it out for you.
as far as the ipod scrolling, i too have a non-navi model. it IS a pain. lol
if you hold the down button on the 4-way directional pad it will begin to scroll down by itself. thats the best way I've found to get to the songs/artists/playlists at the bottom of a selected menu. other than that, im not sure of any other way
Old 09-03-2010, 03:13 PM
ViPaDawG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe a dumb question, but for those WITH navi, is there a quicker way to scroll to "z" artists?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:16 PM
CDONNS

Originally Posted by ViPaDawG
Maybe a dumb question, but for those WITH navi, is there a quicker way to scroll to "z" artists?
No there isn't, I have navi and I still had to do what I suggested above. BUT, if you have a 2010 they fixed it for those to where you can hold down and it will display a big letter on the screen for quick scrolling, much like an iPod Classic does if you scroll quickly.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Mike_10PL

Originally Posted by CDONNS
No there isn't, I have navi and I still had to do what I suggested above. BUT, if you have a 2010 they fixed it for those to where you can hold down and it will display a big letter on the screen for quick scrolling, much like an iPod Classic does if you scroll quickly.
ehh they should have some kind of software update for those systems.. little annoying things:/
Old 09-03-2010, 03:47 PM
CDONNS

Originally Posted by Mike_10PL
ehh they should have some kind of software update for those systems.. little annoying things:/
Totally agree, especially for those people with nav. They would have the 9GB hard drive so it isn't like memory space would be an issue.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:15 PM
evilpanda

i didn't know that. gotta check it out when i get the car back from the shop.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:57 PM
ViPaDawG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
okay cool, that's what I was thinking, but when these guys mentioned for w/o nav, i was like hmm...

It's okay though, I just create smart playlists, and moreso just listen to recently added music, so i dont have to do too much shuffling.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:30 PM
SleepyMonkey
Registered Member

As for the iPod issue, what I did (as did a number of other people on here) just change your genre list to be A,B,C,D,....,Z,# for the artists they relate to. So, if we're talking Foo Fighters, make the genre for all Foo Fighter songs "F". Then, when browsing for a certain artist, go to Genre instead of Artist on the interface.
thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! This has been driving me nuts and I'm getting sick of the A-D artists

l
Old 09-06-2010, 04:59 PM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As for the dimming, if the light brightness on the left side of the gauge cluster is maxed out and the brightness on the display is maxed out (buttons below radio/climate/etc. screen) then I'm not sure there is a way to help.

As for the iPod issue, what I did (as did a number of other people on here) just change your genre list to be A,B,C,D,....,Z,# for the artists they relate to. So, if we're talking Foo Fighters, make the genre for all Foo Fighter songs "F". Then, when browsing for a certain artist, go to Genre instead of Artist on the interface. Then you'll only have to scroll a max of 25-30 to get to the artist letter/number you want.

Hope that helps, and sorry about the gauge light issue. Might just be bad lighting at times?
thats a nice work around!! i just made a few playlists, but this is a nicer option to specifically get an artist!!
Old 10-11-2011, 01:39 PM
JackM829

Originally Posted by ViPaDawG
Just spin the "wheel" faster. It goes really fast for me.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:36 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by JackM829
Just spin the "wheel" faster. It goes really fast for me.
All it did for me was make the car go in circles and I got dizzy.