Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help Redtop vs OEM TSB Replaced Battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:19 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redtop vs OEM TSB Replaced Battery

Hey Guys,

So about a year ago I replaced the stock oem battery with a redtop. Last week I did the Battery TSB and they took out my redtop put it in the trunk and gave me the upgraded one.

So now my dilemma is what should i do?

-Which battery is better for someone who doesn't drive often <5000miles in 2 years? (car usually sits for a week without much movement except weekends)
-What is the shelf life of a battery that is just sitting in storage?
-I live in Canada so the temp here can be -10 to 0 degrees in the winter, although car is garaged
-I don't have an aftermarket sound system but I do have aftermarket GPS/Backup Camera/ Radar Detector all hard wired.
-Should I sell the redtop or keep it as a spare or vice versa?
-Should I swap out the upgraded oem for the redtop?

Cheers!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow! No one replied to this! I would like to know which one is better. Id think the Redtop.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:33 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
If you have a garage, sell the redtop and get a battery tender.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Ok I had a starting issue with my battery this morning on my way to work. Called dealership to see if under warranty. They said they would cover like half for replacement on new battery. So I take out the battery and borrow my bros car to run down to dealership and when I get there the service guy says; sorry you have to bring the car in for us to honor that and for us to install it. I was like WTF, you guys told me on phone I could bring it down here.

Anyways I was like im not going home to call for a jump to bring back here. Fck that OEM battery! I got the Optima Redtop which is much superior! I also feel its more reliable, especially reading about the OEM battery issues! And Yes these are the bomb batteries. Yeah it was $186.00 bucks with core exchange. LOLl fckin expensive. But worth the peace of mind.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:28 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

The red top is a deep cycle, made for boat/rv etc. Why didn't you buy a yellow top?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

No its for our cars speedracer. The yellow is if you have like a serious sound system etc. The yellow is the more expensive. Here is the Battery info for the redtop 34 R I purchased... :RedTop Group 34R

PS: Bluetops are RV etc.

Here are the Batteries you can use for our G's

Redtop Model # 35 = 720 Cold Cranking Amps < - for stock
Yellowtop Model# 35 = 770 Cold Cranking Amps <- for stock with additional loads like from sound systems etc. The yellows are also deep cycling

You could also buy more cranking amps like I did with:
Redtop Model # 34 or 34R(reverse - didn't see the difference) = 800 Cold Cranking Amps

Last edited by Xcalibur; 09-14-2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: added more info :)
Old 09-14-2010, 07:29 PM
thejumpoff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where did you buy your Optima Xcalibur?

BTW, it sounds like you had the TSB performed on your car and were still having battery issues?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:51 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

apparently the new battery has more CCA than my #35 redtop... so i guess ill stick with that ..

trying to sell my redtop but no buyers
Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Originally Posted by thejumpoff
Where did you buy your Optima Xcalibur?

BTW, it sounds like you had the TSB performed on your car and were still having battery issues?
I got it at Autozone local. dont buy online I've heard horror stories of broken batteries shipped. Especially Amazon.com

No TSB for me. My car just started to hesitate to start yesterday and this morning it couldn't turn over and each turn it had less juice. A sign of a dead battery.

Originally Posted by kkokko
apparently the new battery has more CCA than my #35 redtop... so i guess ill stick with that ..

trying to sell my redtop but no buyers
Yeah and it cost you less too. I just went with it since I've spent bucks on modding my car so why not buy a good battery. Especailly since I needed to get to work and local Auto store had it available. You can buy a good battery for a lot less though.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:19 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

the tsb was not just for the battery. there was reprogramming involved to eliminate a drain on the electrical system.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:27 PM
thejumpoff

Originally Posted by speedracer g37
the tsb was not just for the battery. there was reprogramming involved to eliminate a drain on the electrical system.

Yes. They also replace the valve that's been draining the battery.

Maybe I'll check my local Autozone for a Redtop when this M battery dies.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:32 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

what should i do with my redtop sitting in the living room? will it drain and be unusable if not used?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:42 PM
thejumpoff

This was taken from OPTIMA's site...

Battery Storage

Because of the high purity lead grid in the OPTIMA battery, it has a self-discharge rate much lower than conventional flat-plate batteries. This means the OPTIMA can sit for longer periods retaining enough charge to start your vehicle. Depending on storage temperature, the OPTIMA can usually sit for 8 to 12 months and start most vehicles.

When possible, store your battery in a cool, dry location. Check the battery voltage every 6 months and charge if it falls below 12.6 volts.

Remember, newer vehicles with on-board electronics such as computers, LCD screens, game systems, GPS units, clocks, etc., require battery power to retain system memory while the vehicle is parked. If the vehicle is to be stored for long periods you should use a maintenance charger to compensate for this drain. This charger should be voltage regulated between 13.2 - 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum. On older vehicles, without electronics, disconnect the battery cables when the vehicle is not being used for extended periods.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Originally Posted by speedracer g37
Thanks bud! Will take my car in for that TSB.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:31 AM
inapirekim
Registered Member

I had the tsb done on my car, and now my yellow top is stored in the garage off of the ground. I've been meening to change it back to the optima but the M battery is working great compaired to the original. I was told that if the battery is stored on concrete it will drain the battery more than usual. I'm not sure if that's true, but its easy enough to keep off the ground.

Quick Reply: Help Redtop vs OEM TSB Replaced Battery