Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

How do I upload MP3s to the music box nav system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Poe408

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do I upload MP3s to the music box nav system?

hi everybody,

i'm happy to say that i'm the proud new owner of a 2010 6mt g37s. i know the nav system comes with the music box or whatever that can store audio files. i read in the manual that you can put audio CDs in and it will rip the CD onto the hard drive. what i'm wondering is... how do you copy MP3s onto the hard drive from either a flash drive or CD/DVD?

i'm able to play mp3s off flash drives plugged into the USB port, but can i copy them to the hard drive? what if i burned the mp3s onto a CD or DVD? can i copy them to the hard drive from there?

thanks!
The following users liked this post:
MStrike (09-07-2020)
Old 07-22-2010, 02:24 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
you can't copy from the flash drive, only from the CD/DVD drive. I can't remember if you can rip MP3's from a CD or not, but that would be the only way to do it.

You could also convert them to AAC or some other form and then burn to a CD, almost any audio program should be able to do that.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Poe408

but what do i do after burning them as AAC files? will the system copy them to the HD then?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:35 PM
strdr19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No you still have to play the cd in its entirety to rip, i believe. (I may have spelled that wrong)
Old 07-22-2010, 02:54 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Poe408
but what do i do after burning them as AAC files? will the system copy them to the HD then?
yeah the HD should rip them straight to the music box

Originally Posted by strdr19
No you still have to play the cd in its entirety to rip, i believe. (I may have spelled that wrong)
that is incorrect. the Music Box will copy an entire CD in about 6 minutes. The last CD I rip'd was 16 songs and was done in barely 5 minutes.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Poe408

hispeed, so the only format that the system will rip (as opposed to record) is AAC? and is that only if it's burned onto a CD? what about a DVD? or flash drive?
Old 07-22-2010, 03:17 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

hispeed, so the only format that the system will rip (as opposed to record) is AAC? and is that only if it's burned onto a CD? what about a DVD? or flash drive?
oh no it'll do a ton of different formats (if you check the Nav manual it will probably list them). AAC is just a really common one, and every music program I've ever used will convert MP3 to AAC, that's why I mentioned that one.

I don't see why it wouldn't burn from a DVD, as long as the file type is correct. But it WILL NOT rip to the music box through the CF slot/USB port (dependent on which year/model you have)
Old 07-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Poe408

alright so if i burn a DVD full of mp3s and stick it in there... i can make it rip those mp3s off the DVD and onto the HD?
Old 07-22-2010, 04:08 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

alright so if i burn a DVD full of mp3s and stick it in there... i can make it rip those mp3s off the DVD and onto the HD?
lol that's why I said convert the MP3's to AAC. I don't think it can do MP3.

So you need to convert the MP3 to a file type it can read. Check the manual for compatible file types and then just convert your files to that type
Old 07-22-2010, 04:31 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by strdr19
It encodes much faster than it plays as mentioned above, but you don't actually have to rip the whole CD at once either.

For example, if you have a 10 track CD, you can stop it or take the CD out while it's in the middle of recording track 5 and you will be left with tracks 1-4 available on the Music Box. Then if you put the CD back in later you can start recording tracks 6-10 again.

However, the CD plays from the beginning while recording and you cant change what it's playing until it finishes ripping the CD. Usually for some of my older CDs it records the whole thing in the time it takes to play about 2-3 songs.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:36 PM
SM_Shadowman

No. It can only rip songs from a *music CD*, not a data CD or DVD full of Mp3s or any other file format.

You can *play* an mp3 or WMA cd but you can't transfer that to the hard drive. The supported file formats are written in the manual, but for my 2009 it only takes those 2 formats.

Burning AAC files to a data disc will not work. You have to use a music CD. It does not matter what format the songs are in (AAC, MP3 or whatever) before you burn it as long as the final result is a music CD, ie, a CD you can play in any old CD player.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Poe408

damnit. that's what i was afraid of. i don't want to burn audio discs of all my MP3s just to get them on the hard drive. guess that will be one feature of the car that never gets used.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:08 PM
hufington

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
No. It can only rip songs from a *music CD*, not a data CD or DVD full of Mp3s or any other file format.

You can *play* an mp3 or WMA cd but you can't transfer that to the hard drive. The supported file formats are written in the manual, but for my 2009 it only takes those 2 formats.

Burning AAC files to a data disc will not work. You have to use a music CD. It does not matter what format the songs are in (AAC, MP3 or whatever) before you burn it as long as the final result is a music CD, ie, a CD you can play in any old CD player.
Unfortunately what he said. I was very upset to find out that myself.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:47 PM
cruzdog954

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have the USB port just get an ipod and leave it permanently attached - got an older 80gb model and I have almost 12,000 songs there...beats the music box.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:32 AM
SM_Shadowman

Yeah Ipod's the best way to go, really. I didn't think I'd get much use out of mine either, but then my iPod broke so I threw a few CDs on there to compensate for the lack of space on my 8 gig iPhone (not a whole lot left after apps and stuff). But I'll be getting another ipod soon for just that reason.

Otherwise you can also just use USB thumb drives (not to transfer but to play off of) but then it's something like a 500 song limit per drive for some reason.

Quick Reply: How do I upload MP3s to the music box nav system?