Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

What do you think of this radar set up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Tony'sG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think of this radar set up?

I currently have a passport 9500ix with a stealth cord and blendmount. However I know the v1 is better for highway and especially during the summer I run a lot of highway miles. So, I thought I will purchase a used v1 and when I go on highway trips turn off my 9500 and plug in my v1. My question is can I just turn off my passport and plug in my v1 and not have interference or should I detach it? This may be a stupid question but i am just curious.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:28 PM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why do you think it's interfere with the V1 when it's turned off?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:42 PM
hufington

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would not interfere when the other device is not on.

I have the same setup less the blend mount and it works well when GPS is turned off and highway mode is on.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Tony'sG37

Although they both work with one another when turned on and GPS is off, there are quite of few tests done on radar sites that show that it does affect the detection speed of the radars. Lets say the V1 detects a Ka a mile away and the 9500ix detects the Ka 100 feet later. With both radars running at the same time what will happen is they will fight for the signal. If you were to have that same Ka (a cop sitting at a designated area) and had each detector run simultaneously, now that V1 will read it 1 1/2 miles away and the 9500ix would read the signal 100 feet less than that. Does this make sense? You wouldn't know if you ran both radars at the same time, but the interval of detection will be the same, just will give you less notice. This BTW is a fact, it has been proven by 3 separate radar sites. Search on google and you will find them. GPS does not affect the radars, it is the fight for signal these radars have with one another. Overall, I think what I will do is turn off the 9500ix altogether, as I think you should do, and run the v1 when appropriate (like on a highway or area with few stores). I got a response from RadarTest.com - Best radar detector reviews from the world's most respected authority. that informed me to do this. Thank you both for the posts tho! I would love to see your set up with the 9500ix and V1 up at the same time!
Old 07-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Tony'sG37

BTW, I don't know why, but when I typed radartest.com it added all that mumbo jumbo in blue
Old 07-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Pip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"With both radars running at the same time what will happen is they will fight for the signal."
Yes, this is true. My 9500xi and V1 had it out recently. The 9500 had just come back from a year at the Chute Boxe Academy and it submitted the V1 in 48 seconds in the 1st. Look for it and a Bell on Pay per View in August.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:05 PM
xixonmn

Originally Posted by hufington
It would not interfere when the other device is not on.

I have the same setup less the blend mount and it works well when GPS is turned off and highway mode is on.
My bicycle rear reflector mount + RJ11 telephone cord setup work really well and cost nothing..

Old 07-17-2010, 06:36 AM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by xixonmn
My bicycle rear reflector mount + RJ11 telephone cord setup work really well and cost nothing..
That is just WRONG!!!
the radar detector is havy enaugh to desolder the miror mount from the windscreen when going over bumps or because of vibrations.

The radar detector dont "fight for the signal" even if you mojnt 1000 radar detectors, they will get the same signal "amount"
The problem is caused by local oscilator present on each radar detector. The radar detector works just like a radio reciever. It use a local oscilator as refference for the band it must recieve.
The local oscilator is a small power emiter that generate signal on specific freqvency. If recievers (or radar detectors) are very close to eachother, they will pick the signal of the other's device local oscilator.

The VG2 detector work on the same way. It pick the signal of unshielded local oscilator.
"VG2 invisible" radar detectors use a better shielded or lower power local oscilator.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Tony'sG37

You are absolutely correct, now how is that any different than hat I just said? Without getting too technical, what basically happens is that they both do in fact fight for the signal. They both will receive the same amount, however, when together the ratio is less.I never said I knew it all but I do know a fight occurs and effects detection. Many credible sources state this.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:30 AM
Tony'sG37

And btw the bicycle mount is awesome! Vibrations will do no more harm to his set up than the regular suction cup mounts that come with the radar. Probably equally as sturdy but just more clean of a look. Not sure why someone would say otherwise...
Old 07-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Greg Lecewicz

I own a big pawnshop so I always experiment with electronics we buy. Most radar detectors would interfere with each other for the reason described by Elco. It defeats the purpose to have 2 detectors on board turned on. We had tried multitudes of radar detectors working together and separately. Sorry guys but ONLY Passport and Valentine1 work well. My pref is V1 for the quality of the workmanship but IMO I would make them pretty much equal in performance. The most expensive Bell units do not detect the danger as well and they are sluggish. The others are total crap not worth owning so if you have one, sell it quick and get a Passport or V1.
PS: Do you know anything about the mirror mount falling off? I would think it takes a lot for it to happen? I like the bike miror mount pictured but I think he should cut the screws and paint all black for a more finished effect.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:19 PM
xixonmn

Originally Posted by Elco
That is just WRONG!!!
the radar detector is havy enaugh to desolder the miror mount from the windscreen when going over bumps or because of vibrations.
I have the same setup in my G35 and have no problem after 3 years.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:32 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Tony'sG37
You are absolutely correct, now how is that any different than hat I just said? Without getting too technical, what basically happens is that they both do in fact fight for the signal. They both will receive the same amount, however, when together the ratio is less.I never said I knew it all but I do know a fight occurs and effects detection. Many credible sources state this.
What you are saying is wrong because detectors don't "fight" or compete for a signal, i.e. they are receivers that detect the signal.

The problem as others have pointed out is that each detector has an internal reference oscillator which is used for it's detection circuitry to identify the different radar frequencies. Most detectors will leak some of it's reference oscillator frequency which is detected by other detectors as noise and a false radar signal, and cheaply built detectors will leak so much that they will be seen by other detectors for many feet. I know I've detected other detectors with my V1 just sitting at a traffic light and noticing another detector in the car ahead of me - the V1 arrows confirmed that leaky unit as I passed it.

This is also how places that outlaw detectors identify people using them. In Canada it was very common in the late 80's and 90's for police to sit on the side of the road with radar detector detectors and could identify a violator as they drove by because the police unit would suddently spike on the leakage signal (Ontario Provincial Police).

Bottom line, all detectors have a reference oscillator and putting two right next to each other will likely cause some interference due to their leakage. They will both detect the incoming police radar signal level equally (they don't fight for more of the signal - it' energy in the air) but their oscillator leakage will cause noise and impact the other detector.

Turning one off eliminates this.