Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Random Audio Drops

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:04 PM
exit9

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Random Audio Drops

Lately, my 2010xS pre/nav has been experiencing random audio drops. This happens when listening to FM, XM, CD and ipod sources. The audio drops out (completely mute) for about 1.5 - 2 secs then comes back more on the right speakers then slowly balances to the lefts. Nothing crazy happens on the nav screen (as in flicker, fade, freezing, etc) when it occurs and it happens randomly so I'm not sure what could be causing it. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:36 PM
zoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure you are not missing weather alerts on the nav screen? The audio drops out briefly to alert you to info on the screen.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:59 PM
exit9

Originally Posted by zoner
Are you sure you are not missing weather alerts on the nav screen? The audio drops out briefly to alert you to info on the screen.
No msgs show up on the screen. Those msgs usually appear on the bottom of the nav in yellow text and the radio volume lowers but it doesn't mute (from what I can remember but I could be wrong) when the nice lady warns me about my impending death by tornado or t-storm in the area. I can try turning off the alerts to see if that makes a difference.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:35 PM
G37NC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Today I got some occasional drops on XM, but since that's all I listen to, I don't know if it's also happening with FM or CD's.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:02 AM
NonAme

sometime xm signals don't reach the receiver while passing under bridges or near tall buildings so just pay attention to when your signal drops. If ur communting daily on the same route then maybe ur passing a bridge every time.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:09 AM
exit9

Originally Posted by G37NC
Today I got some occasional drops on XM, but since that's all I listen to, I don't know if it's also happening with FM or CD's.
I get too types of drops on XM. The complete audio mute and also the momentary hiss from the signal loss. On the latter, the station ID, artist and song title turns to ------ when I'm surrounded by high buildings or stuck under an overpass. For the former, everything is normal except for the complete silence for 1.5 to 2 secs then sound comes back on the right then left speakers.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:42 AM
NonAme

Before you take her to the dealer, try to record the issue cause you probably gonna get the "unable to reproduce problem" by the dealers.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:42 AM
DigMy35x

Check to see that you don't have a route/destination set up in your nav system. The audio volume mutes in one of the speakers when the voice activates to give you directions so that you can hear it even if you have music on. If the voice volume of the nav system is set to its lowest point you may be getting the 'muting' to give you directions but the volume is so low you might not be hearing the voice saying to turn, etc.

I'm not 100% sure how it works on the 2010 since I have an 08 G35 but I would check to make sure that this isn't causing the cutouts. If it is - well, that's an easy fix! I just turn off the verbal instructions and let the nav 'ding' at me to alert for turns (unless I really need to hear the directions in another city or something like that).

Additionally, there is a ding to alert you to upcoming turns as well (if you have a destination set and are on a route in the nav) and this mutes at least one of the speakers so the audio doesn't drown out the alert.

You might have one, or both of these things happening and that could be the cause of the dropouts.

Hope that's the issue for you. I would check that before you drive yourself too crazy.

Good luck!

Jay
Old 06-14-2010, 03:30 PM
MDG37S

I have a similar problem, but not with XM (I don't have a subscription). The radio is usually on when I shut the car off. Then, after work, for example, I get in my car and start up. The radio starts to play for a few seconds and then just shuts off and "defaults" to the iPod source setting. The iPod is hooked up in the center console. It doesn't start playing the iPod, just goes to that setting. Anyone else?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:05 PM
fromSVXtoSTi

I get it when using bluetooth audio at startup. It goes to bluetooth for a sec, then it does a weird unpair/pair sequence, which ends up with music not being played.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:23 PM
exit9

Originally Posted by exit9
No msgs show up on the screen. Those msgs usually appear on the bottom of the nav in yellow text and the radio volume lowers but it doesn't mute (from what I can remember but I could be wrong) when the nice lady warns me about my impending death by tornado or t-storm in the area. I can try turning off the alerts to see if that makes a difference.
Quick update: Turned off all weather watch and warning msgs last Friday and so far no audio drops (knock on wood). I'm suspecting I may have been receiving blank audible warnings alerts which triggers the audio to cut out but nothing is being said.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Austin713

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
if your volume is turned down on those alerts they will appear as audio drops. it does this when you are traveling to a destination as well.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:17 PM
exit9

Lately, my 2010xS pre/nav has been experiencing random audio drops. This happens when listening to FM, XM, CD and ipod sources. The audio drops out (completely mute) for about 1.5 - 2 secs then comes back more on the right speakers then slowly balances to the lefts. Nothing crazy happens on the nav screen (as in flicker, fade, freezing, etc) when it occurs and it happens randomly so I'm not sure what could be causing it. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Well it's been 45 days since the dealer ordered a new radio to fix the audio drops and I haven't heard much from them. Since this is my first Infiniti do parts take a long time to get in? Is 45 days acceptable so far or should I start following up with the service manager?

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:39 PM
SCBLKG37

The impending doom parts funny
Old 08-16-2010, 08:22 AM
KLB

Well it's been 45 days since the dealer ordered a new radio to fix the audio drops and I haven't heard much from them. Since this is my first Infiniti do parts take a long time to get in? Is 45 days acceptable so far or should I start following up with the service manager?

Thanks.
I would have followed up long before 45 days had passed.