Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Scoop on iPod Interface & Best Value Stereo Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:27 PM
consultant1027

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scoop on iPod Interface & Best Value Stereo Upgrade?

I'm in the market for an 07/08 G35 or 09 G37. I see that it only charges the older iPods that would charge through firewire. There is an adpater that you can use to rectify it but sometimes the iPod loses its connection and you have to replug it in. The best solution may be to just pick up an older iPod on Ebay and just leave it in the car although I like the convenience of always charging my iPhone and using it for an iPod

I'm still not clear if the Premium package with the upgraded Bose stereo is required to get the iPod interface and if it was available in the 07 G35 in addition to the 08?

Also, I wasn't impressed with the Bose Premium stereo. I set the base and treble to the middle and played a CD with songs I'm familiar with. For most, it is just fine, but it distorted at high volumes, I believe I read the limiting factor is the woofers are in the doors, there isn't a dedicated sub. Seems like just adding a small external powered sub somewhere would be a lost cost improvement on what is otherwise a pretty decent sounding system? Or is there a better solution?

Thanks much for any input/insight. Looking forward to being an Infiniti Owner.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Spaded21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 was the G37

Adding a sub and turning down the bass on the headunit gives a pretty decent sound.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:13 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doesn't necessarily need to be an older model iPod. Actually the current model "iPod classic 160GB" (7th generation) charges and works with the iPod interface, since that model still supports firewire charging (but not firewire data transfer). The iPod touch & iPhones work but don't charge.

Those models are still sold new from Amazon or the Apple store. But they aren't cheap -- around $200. I was using a 5th-gen 30GB that recently broke and will be purchasing one of the 7Gens eventually. The older ones like I had charged with the car but it did not shut off with the car. This means the battery would constantly be slowly discharging overnight and recharging the next day unless I remembered to turn it off manually (I never did). Net result is shortened lifetime of the iPod.

The newest 7th-gen models purportedly both charge and shut down with the car.

Currently in the meantime I'm using my iPhone 3G which does not charge, but I just live with it. I only have the 8GB model which means after leaving room for apps and stuff I can only fit about a third of my music library on it, so I'm looking forward to getting the new iPod. I also liked the convenience of leaving it in the car most of the time, and now I often forget and need to run back out to retrieve my phone.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:51 PM
redfoster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4th Generation iPod Nano won't charge either, same reason as iPod touch and iPhone.

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
Doesn't necessarily need to be an older model iPod. Actually the current model "iPod classic 160GB" (7th generation) charges and works with the iPod interface, since that model still supports firewire charging (but not firewire data transfer). The iPod touch & iPhones work but don't charge.

Those models are still sold new from Amazon or the Apple store. But they aren't cheap -- around $200. I was using a 5th-gen 30GB that recently broke and will be purchasing one of the 7Gens eventually. The older ones like I had charged with the car but it did not shut off with the car. This means the battery would constantly be slowly discharging overnight and recharging the next day unless I remembered to turn it off manually (I never did). Net result is shortened lifetime of the iPod.

The newest 7th-gen models purportedly both charge and shut down with the car.

Currently in the meantime I'm using my iPhone 3G which does not charge, but I just live with it. I only have the 8GB model which means after leaving room for apps and stuff I can only fit about a third of my music library on it, so I'm looking forward to getting the new iPod. I also liked the convenience of leaving it in the car most of the time, and now I often forget and need to run back out to retrieve my phone.