Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

G37 Bluetooth phone system - how do I get the names of incoming callers to show?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 03:10 PM
seb725

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G37 Bluetooth phone system - how do I get the names of incoming callers to show?

I just leased a new 2010 G37 coupe, with navigation. When I received incoming calls the number appears on the display, but not the name of the caller. How do I get the names of the callers to appear?

This is odd because I downloaded my phone contacts from my phone (a Motorola Razor v3) into the system, so that when I make a call the name appears. But when I receive a call, there is no name, just the number.

Thanks to anyone who can help with this
Old 05-10-2010, 03:27 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
go through the car's phonebook and make sure there are names associated with the numbers. It might have just transfered the #'s not the names when you downloaded your phone contacts
Old 05-10-2010, 03:31 PM
seb725

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
go through the car's phonebook and make sure there are names associated with the numbers. It might have just transfered the #'s not the names when you downloaded your phone contacts
Yes there are names associated with the numbers, but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:22 PM
majin ssj eric

I don't think mine has ever showed names of incoming callers...
Old 05-10-2010, 08:35 PM
DashKid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I don't think mine has ever showed names of incoming callers...

Nah it shows the name. I remember because I use to receive calls from my friends and I remember it showed their names.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:46 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

yeah it definitely shows names...mine does all the time...
Old 05-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Coupe Daddy

It is hit or miss for me. Sometimes it does and other times it does not, even for the same caller.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:34 AM
seb725

Thanks for all the responses. This is interesting - I called the dealership where I leased the car, and one saleman said it did list names, and another said it could not. I also called the Infiniti 800 number and they weren't sure.

Seems like there is some software bug - it certainly should be able to list the names, given the fact that the cheapest call ID phone can do it.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:56 AM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Coupe Daddy
It is hit or miss for me. Sometimes it does and other times it does not, even for the same caller.
same with me

Originally Posted by seb725
Seems like there is some software bug - it certainly should be able to list the names, given the fact that the cheapest call ID phone can do it.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.
def seems like there's a software bug.....sometimes it will display the callers number, sometimes the name, sometimes nothing.... very weird.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:58 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by carz
def seems like there's a software bug.....sometimes it will display the callers number, sometimes the name, sometimes nothing.... very weird.
My guess would be a problem with all the different phones people have. If everyone used the same phone it would be easy for Infiniti tech's to make it work but trying to get it to work with every possible smartphone is probably just a little buggy
Old 05-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Gyoza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a guess, but does the number that shows up exactly match the entry in the car's phone book?

For example, if the phone numbers were transferred over as 1-123-456-7890, and they are showing up as 123-456-7890, then the car may not be able to tie the incoming phone number with the name from the car's address book.

One thing to test would be by setting up an entry manually, as opposed to transferring the entry from the phone. If the incoming number matches the car's phone book entry exactly, it should display the name.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:41 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Gyoza
Just a guess, but does the number that shows up exactly match the entry in the car's phone book?

For example, if the phone numbers were transferred over as 1-123-456-7890, and they are showing up as 123-456-7890, then the car may not be able to tie the incoming phone number with the name from the car's address book.

One thing to test would be by setting up an entry manually, as opposed to transferring the entry from the phone. If the incoming number matches the car's phone book entry exactly, it should display the name.
that's a really good idea...I entered all my numbers manually and they always show names...that might be the difference
Old 05-11-2010, 10:46 AM
pyctici

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have an 08 g37, and the ONLY phone that would show the names after the phone book was downloaded was for Black Berries, didnt matter which model i had it always worked...i then went to an iphone and it didnt download the phone book, im now on a Nexus One and still cant get the phone book to download to the car...as long as the phone book is downloaded the names associated with the numbers will show up....if not you'll just get the nummber.

Plan B is to enter the numbers and names that your frequently call into the cars phonebook manually and it will show up that way too.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:14 AM
seb725

In response to the latest postings, I originally did enter the names manually into the car phone book - and the names did not appear. Then I downloaded the whole phone book from my phone automatically - and the names still didn't appear.

I also tried deleting the "1" from in front of the phone number - and the name still did not appear.

Maybe it's my phone - a two year old Motorola razor - or maybe it's just a software bug.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:06 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think it's very consistent. I have one person who I manually entered into the phone book, and 80% of the time her name shows up, but the other 20% I get private caller.

Quick Reply: G37 Bluetooth phone system - how do I get the names of incoming callers to show?