Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Harassed by XM

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:55 AM
XsG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harassed by XM

Ever since I bought my G37xS a few months ago, I've been harassed by sales reps from XM Satellite Radio. I've told them repeatedly that I do not want the service, but they keep calling. I was very assertive with the last guy and insisted that they remove me from their system. Thought I was finally done, but nooooooo. I was relaxing with my gf last night and the phone rang. It was XM again. I couldn't believe it! Even though I'm normally very even-tempered, I lost my cool with this guy, swore at him and slammed the phone down! What does it take to stop them? Has anyone else out there, who didn't want the service, had the same problem? Did you get them off your back? I even called Infiniti customer service to see if they could help, but they won't do anything. Frankly, if I ever want to get satellite radio, it absolutely WON'T be from XM. Also, when it comes time to replace the G, if Infiniti is still using XM, that will definitely be a factor in my purchase decision on whether to get another Infiniti, or switch brands. At the very least, I'll insist that they don't activate the "free subscription", and absolutely do not give my contact info to XM!
Old 04-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Give them a verbal...

They will note that in your profile and will be afraid to call you.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:14 AM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think they are in desperate mode. I don't get the calls but get a bunch of promotional letters from them. Well I guess they call my home phone which I never answer :P
Old 04-28-2010, 01:59 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ask for a supervisor and tell them to take you off their call list. They are legally obliged to comply with such a request.

Personally, I have Comcast for my home phone, which has a few extra options and configurations you can set online (not enough, I might add, but that's for another time). One thing I can do is selectively forward calls originating from certain numbers to another number.

So I picked about 6 marketing calls I frequently get -- like once a day sometimes. I'm on the do-not-call list, but they can get around it by pretending to be a non-profit or having a prior business relationship or whatever they do. So anyway, these calls all get automatically forwarded to an 800 number with a quick recording of Santa Claus. Generally these are autodialer calls so basically you get one computer calling and reaching another, then hanging up when it reaches a recording. The point is, those calls never even ring on my phone anymore.

If I was real evil, I'd forward one telemarketer to another one. But I figure using automated recordings will not actually ever annoy a live person -- but also stops them from bothering me. Whenever a new one comes up it gets added to the list.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:08 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by XsG
Did you get them off your back? I even called Infiniti customer service to see if they could help, but they won't do anything. Frankly, if I ever want to get satellite radio, it absolutely WON'T be from XM.
They're a kooky bunch, i had to terminate the radio from my old car after it changed hands, but also activated that of the G. They asked why, i said i sold the old car. Guess what? They spent the next 10 minutes asking if there's any way they can let me keep that activated... discounts, free months, etc...

Go figure.

Btw, unless someone else comes along, your choices for satellite radio is pretty slim... it's XM or XM (they've merged with Sirius).
Old 04-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I hate XM too. In another thread I posted how they charged me a ton of money for services I wasn't receiving and when I dscovered it, told me they were unable to refund it. This resulted in my using numerous profanities spoken in harsh tones. In the end I spoke poorly of their mother's promiscuous nature and admonished them to perform impossible sexual acts upon themselves as I cancelled my subscription. I presumed that my actions would sever all business ties between us which was my intent. I was wong. I receive the "We miss you, please come back" correspondence about every 2 or 3 weeks. Usually with a "limited time offer" or "last chance at this price" every time.

They are truly desperate but their customer service practices still show that they clearly are just not getting it. The merger bought them some time, but I don't see them making it long term.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:36 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I'm fine with snail mail, so long as they don't CALL every other day.

Snail mail can always be used in the unfortunate event I run out of toilet paper.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:37 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
This resulted in my using numerous profanities spoken in harsh tones. In the end I spoke poorly of their mother's promiscuous nature and admonished them to perform impossible sexual acts upon themselves as I cancelled my subscription.
Hilarious!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:44 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You are one of those people that likes to complain huh?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:53 PM
mindonmatter

They kept calling and harrassing me even AFTER I renewed my service. I had to finally talk to a supervisor and tell him either stop calling me or I will CANCEL my service.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:27 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I should update my info with a 555 phone number and a 1234 1st Street address.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:56 PM
XsG

Originally Posted by soundmike
They're a kooky bunch, i had to terminate the radio from my old car after it changed hands, but also activated that of the G. They asked why, i said i sold the old car. Guess what? They spent the next 10 minutes asking if there's any way they can let me keep that activated... discounts, free months, etc...

Go figure.

Btw, unless someone else comes along, your choices for satellite radio is pretty slim... it's XM or XM (they've merged with Sirius).
That sucks that they have merged! I didn't know that. That leaves no options. Guess even Infiniti is stuck with them!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by XsG
That sucks that they have merged! I didn't know that. That leaves no options. Guess even Infiniti is stuck with them!
XM and Sirius have merged, but each company seemed to keep their dumbest management drones. My wife's truck has Sirius, and so I called to add service for the G, thinking I'd get a break for having multiple receivers in the same house. The carbon unit on the phone explained that the two services are not interchangeable, and so I would have to buy a whole new subscription in order to continue XM service in the G. I asked why I couldn't get the XM service and Siruis on the same account, seeing as how they are the SAME FRIGGIN COMPANY, and was told it just isn't possible.

It should be noted that if you have Sirius you can buy XM channels, and vice versa, so the geniuses have figured out how to make the two formats work together. I must have gone over this with them 5 times, thinking they didn't get it. In the end, it became obvious that their business model is to die a slow death.

By the way, never pay more than $77/year for either. Just tell them that's the deal you want, and they'll make it happen. I just did this with my wife's Sirius subscription a few months ago. Here's a good link to ongoing deals: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=918633&page=6

Last edited by 15951; 04-28-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

XM will be out of business soon enough and the calls will stop. Hang in there.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Sal123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 15951
XM and Sirius have merged, but each company seemed to keep their dumbest management drones. My wife's truck has Sirius, and so I called to add service for the G, thinking I'd get a break for having multiple receivers in the same house. The carbon unit on the phone explained that the two services are not interchangeable, and so I would have to buy a whole new subscription in order to continue XM service in the G. I asked why I couldn't get the XM service and Siruis on the same account, seeing as how they are the SAME FRIGGIN COMPANY, and was told it just isn't possible.

It should be noted that if you have Sirius you can buy XM channels, and vice versa, so the geniuses have figured out how to make the two formats work together. I must have gone over this with them 5 times, thinking they didn't get it. In the end, it became obvious that their business model is to die a slow death.
God I hated people like you 5 years or so ago. I work for a major wireless telecom com that merged with another major telecom company. People couldn't understand why we couldn't just wave our magic wands and let them keep their old plans, equipment, etc. since we were the same company. Just because we're owned by the same company on paper doesn't magically make everything (billing systems for example) compatible. It's the same with XM/Sirius. If it was that easy, don't you think they would have already done it? Getting each other's channels is the easy part; the technology they both use is identical so it's just a matter of programming. Converting millions of subscribers from one billing system to another is not a simple task.